HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 12, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #18,122 of 20,386
I pair HE-500 with NFB-11 and I find that the sound is forward and the stage is small. I feel that I'm sitting in the first row or closer to the stage. Even more so when high gain is on. I'm comparing to HD650, when I wear those, I feel that I'm far from the stage, and can pinpoint instrument positions better. I feel that instruments sound better on HE-500, but the sound is way too forward.

Anybody experienced similar things?

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #18,124 of 20,386
I pair HE-500 with NFB-11 and I find that the sound is forward and the stage is small. I feel that I'm sitting in the first row or closer to the stage. Even more so when high gain is on. I'm comparing to HD650, when I wear those, I feel that I'm far from the stage, and can pinpoint instrument positions better. I feel that instruments sound better on HE-500, but the sound is way too forward.

Are you using the stock silver cable? I used it at the beginning with my HE500s and my NFB29 and the sound was indeed too forward and bright. Changed the cable to a Cardas one and things went themselves to each place. Not a night and day difference but that subtle change made things flow between my Hifimans and my Audio-gd.

I'm not a cable freak either but I must admit that this one had its role in the whole's sound signature.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #18,125 of 20,386
Yes, it's a stock cable. I can't call the sound bright though, I rather feel sometimes that there's no highs at all (depending on the record, perhaps). For example, this song sounds really muffled: https://play.spotify.com/track/1ulDt6ySVbMbzZCBO6hSfb. And on AKG it sounds ok.

I have to say that only on certain records it sounds awesome, but usually not :frowning2:

I'll try Cardas, thanks for the advice.

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #18,126 of 20,386
Yes, it's a stock cable. I can't call the sound bright though, I rather feel sometimes that there's no highs at all (depending on the record, perhaps). For example, this song sounds really muffled: https://play.spotify.com/track/1ulDt6ySVbMbzZCBO6hSfb. And on AKG it sounds ok.

I have to say that only on certain records it sounds awesome, but usually not :frowning2:

I'll try Cardas, thanks for the advice.

Less highs than AKG? That's not right! The HE-500 has amazing, sparkling highs. I'll listen to that song and tell you what I hear.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #18,127 of 20,386
I've put my 1,8mt Cardas cable for sale in the classifieds' thread.

If anyone around here should be interested, do let me know.

Cheers.

Enviado desde mi H1

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #18,129 of 20,386
"Little Talks" is not available on Tidal. But I was able to listen to Avril Lavigne and it sounds fine on my end.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #18,130 of 20,386
They are not veiled, but are one of the clearest headphones I've heard. I think it's your amp. These respond really well to a great amp. But if they don't work for you or in your set up, maybe consider selling?

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #18,131 of 20,386
Much less than HD650 and AKG. That's a song that sounds really veiled on HE-500 "Little Talks" by Julia Sheer.

Another song that's horrible on HE-500 is Avril Lavigne's "Runaway".

I don't think your HE500s is the faulty link in your chain and a cardas cable won't be definitely the solution to your problem.

Do you have any possibility to try your Hifimans in another rig?

I'll try these two songs with mines and a NOS11 amp/dac tonight.

Cheers.

Edit:

I've only found these two songs on Youtube. The one from Julia Sheer sounds pretty good taking into account the source. Nothing to blame on the HE500s. The other from Avril, also from this channel, lacks every hint of dynamics or quality to be really taken into account. Seems to be listening at something about 48 or 96Kbps. So sorry but the source is awful.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #18,132 of 20,386

I think the soundstage on the HE500 is most certainly intimate but I wouldn't call it small.  I would liken the experience of sitting in a club and listening to live music vs sitting in an amphitheater and listening to live music.  I've also felt the the HD650 sounded more distant than most of my collection and always attributed that to the "veil" people claim it has.  Mine are unmodified (other than focus pads).  

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #18,134 of 20,386
A lot of Youtube videos have terrible audio.

Do not use those for your critical listening and judging of headphones.

IMHO

beerchug.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #18,135 of 20,386
  I think the soundstage on the HE500 is most certainly intimate but I wouldn't call it small.  I would liken the experience of sitting in a club and listening to live music vs sitting in an amphitheater and listening to live music.  I've also felt the the HD650 sounded more distant than most of my collection and always attributed that to the "veil" people claim it has.  Mine are unmodified (other than focus pads).  

Perhaps a better analogy is in order as the HE500 does not have a roll off below 500 Hz nor does it have reflections or delays that you might find in a larger venue. Personally I never thought it had a diminished soundstage and many headphones that seem have a larger soundstage do so because an exaggerated treble response. My HE500 and HD600 headphones are never going to be sold or traded.
http://www.livescience.com/7269-mystery-greek-amphitheater-amazing-sound-finally-solved.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back