HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 26, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #17,461 of 20,386
  Upgrading my Emotiva Mini X to another amp, as I found it slightly distorts sounds when compared to a Chord Mojo.  Love the wide stereo effect you get from the Emotiva when paired with He-500 though so bear that in mind.  Unfortunately the Chord Mojo doesn't offer the width the Emotiva Mini does otherwise I would be keeping it for my main source.

I would love to hear that same effect wide stereo (crossfeed type effect) with the sub bass filling the entire sound stage but without the amp overly compressing the highs. 

I tried using the Chord Mojo as a preamp/dac with the Emotiva Mini, it added the stereo width I love with the Mini X but was also detrimental to the highs the Mojo reproduces so well, they get slightly chopped off and decay is not so clear. timbre is lost with natural instruments.  I guess need a cleaner amp.

Whats the next logical step up?  :) Budget £500.

What have former Emotiva Mini X owners upgraded to? 

I don't own the Mini-X but I've often wondered what the UPA-2 I have powering my center channel would do in comparison to the Lyr.  Significant power difference compared to the Mini-X so I would feel more comfortable with an adapter in the chain.  Do you run yours directly off speaker taps or is there an adapter in your chain?  

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #17,462 of 20,386
  I don't own the Mini-X but I've often wondered what the UPA-2 I have powering my center channel would do in comparison to the Lyr.  Significant power difference compared to the Mini-X so I would feel more comfortable with an adapter in the chain.  Do you run yours directly off speaker taps or is there an adapter in your chain?  

I looked at both the Emotiva Mini x and the Fusion Flex as it was discontinued and on sale.  I ended up buying a Parasound Zamp on Ebay for $100.00 and could not be happier.  It is 30 watts per channel rms.  I run mine right off of the speaker tap with no problems.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #17,464 of 20,386
The UPA-2 is 185 at 4 ohms and 125 at 8... 
biggrin.gif

Edit: (per channel)

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #17,466 of 20,386
@MWSVette
Which Parasound did you get?  The V2? V3?

I am debating picking-up one of the V3's.  I also am thinking of the AudioEngine N22.  I will be running a SB Touch with no real need for any other inputs.

Do you feel the Parasound drives well on its own, or do you feel the need for a pre-? 

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #17,467 of 20,386
  @MWSVette
Which Parasound did you get?  The V2? V3?

I am debating picking-up one of the V3's.  I also am thinking of the AudioEngine N22.  I will be running a SB Touch with no real need for any other inputs.

Do you feel the Parasound drives well on its own, or do you feel the need for a pre-? 

Actually I have a V1.  I honestly do not know the changes between versions and am very happy with the V1.  I bought it for $100.00 including shipping.    I use my Emotiva DC-1 as a preamp and have not tried to run a straight line signal.

For the price you can get them on ebay for makes them a great deal

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #17,469 of 20,386
Much better. Although I haven't used either the magni , or vali, but the Zamp left the Lyr in the dust. They shine with speaker amps. You can also look for a Emotiva mini-x. Which has a volume control. With the Zamp, you'll need a preamp. The Zamp is a dual mono amp with gain adjustments only.
Does the Zamp drive the he 500 better than the vali or magni?

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #17,470 of 20,386
Much better. Although I haven't used either the magni , or vali, but the Zamp left the Lyr in the dust. They shine with speaker amps. You can also look for a Emotiva mini-x. Which has a volume control. With the Zamp, you'll need a preamp. The Zamp is a dual mono amp with gain adjustments only.

+1 I agree...

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #17,471 of 20,386
I received my new-to-me 500's. First thing I notice is the bass. Much more than the 400i and 400S. It came with Alpha Prime pads on it and I did not like the sound. I switched to Focus pads and like it a lot more. I also changed the grills to something that breaths a little better. The sound amazing! I'm 99% sure I need more amp, though. I'm currently using Gustard H10. Thinking about trying out the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B. With 4w of power into 32 ohm, I'm thinking this should do ok.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #17,472 of 20,386
I received my new-to-me 500's. First thing I notice is the bass. Much more than the 400i and 400S. It came with Alpha Prime pads on it and I did not like the sound. I switched to Focus pads and like it a lot more. I also changed the grills to something that breaths a little better. The sound amazing! I'm 99% sure I need more amp, though. I'm currently using Gustard H10. Thinking about trying out the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B. With 4w of power into 32 ohm, I'm thinking this should do ok.

The H10 gives them enough power to sound good.

You could always try the Lyr 2 or Ember 2 if you want something different.  A little tube magic does the 500s some good, in my opinion.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #17,473 of 20,386
The H10 gives them enough power to sound good.

You could always try the Lyr 2 or Ember 2 if you want something different.  A little tube magic does the 500s some good, in my opinion.

I forgot to adjust the gain switches. It sounds even better now!

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #17,474 of 20,386
I received my new-to-me 500's. First thing I notice is the bass. Much more than the 400i and 400S.

I enjoy the bass of the HE-500, it very clean and tight. I would not say it's "much more than the 400i,I think it extends a bit more but the difference isn't huge. The 400s is a different story, the 400s just doesn't sound like planar magnetic bass by all accounts. The 500 mids and vocals are where I notice the difference, it more natural and enjoyable to me.
I'm currently using Gustard H10. Thinking about trying out the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B. With 4w of power into 32 ohm, I'm thinking this should do ok.

The H10 should be more than enough for the 500. You would probably blow up your ears before you got close to using anywhere near 4 watts of power. I'm using Audio-GD NFB-11 and a Garage1217 Project Polaris to power my HE-500 and they do a very good job. Oh, I see you forgot to use the High gain switch, that would explain it.

Enjoy!

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #17,475 of 20,386

I enjoy the bass of the HE-500, it very clean and tight. I would not say it's "much more than the 400i,I think it extends a bit more but the difference isn't huge. The 400s is a different story, the 400s just doesn't sound like planar magnetic bass by all accounts. The 500 mids and vocals are where I notice the difference, it more natural and enjoyable to me.

Bass on the 500 is boomier.  This isn't necessarily a negative...it just depends on preferences.  

The 400i bass is a little tighter and clean.

That said, I still think the 500 wins out due to it's treatment of mids and vocals.  

All in my humble opinion, of course.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back