HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #15,781 of 20,386
Just curious, if you feel the HE-560 is cleaner/clearer, and more detailed by a long shot, why do you still prefer the HE-500?

For me, the word that comes to mind is "organic".

The 500s do a good job of putting me into the experience, especially with live music.  I've seen DMB 12-15 times and the 500s do the best job I've experienced in terms of recreating what it feels like to be there.  

When listening to the 560s, I spend more time listening to the headphones than I do listening to the music.

Technical superiority isn't everything.

Ignoring sound, the 500 is far less picky when it comes to proper amplification.  After trying many different options, I bought the modi 2U/vali and called it a day.

Unrelated, but will we be seeing some of you TN folk at the Music City Meetup?  I certainly hope so...

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #15,782 of 20,386
I find there is such a thing as to resolving taking the life and fun right out of things, I have found this true of other components as well
darthsmile.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #15,783 of 20,386
Extreme resolution in a headphone is, to my way of thinking, like going up to a Picasso canvas and examining it with a magnifying glass.  It can be fascinating and revealing but it's a specialized view.  Stepping back to about 10 feet reduces resolution of the minute details but also immerses you in the overall work of art as a whole.

I value a highly resolving headphone but I recognize that extreme resolution is not much like the way music sounds in the real world, especially if your goal is to get close to something like a live performance.  

I like all these comments about the 500 being preferred to the 560-- no upgraditis here.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #15,785 of 20,386
  Extreme resolution in a headphone is, to my way of thinking, like going up to a Picasso canvas and examining it with a magnifying glass.  It can be fascinating and revealing but it's a specialized view.  Stepping back to about 10 feet reduces resolution of the minute details but also immerses you in the overall work of art as a whole.

I value a highly resolving headphone but I recognize that extreme resolution is not much like the way music sounds in the real world, especially if your goal is to get close to something like a live performance. . . .  

Well said ...!

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #15,786 of 20,386

I value a highly resolving headphone but I recognize that extreme resolution is not much like the way music sounds in the real world, especially if your goal is to get close to something like a live performance.  

I like all these comments about the 500 being preferred to the 560-- no upgraditis here.

very fine remarks...... I prefer for this reason my He 400 to the stax basic lambda....
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #15,787 of 20,386
I think the 560 is cleaner/clearer and more detailed by a long shot.

That said, I prefer the 500 as well.

:p

Take this with a grain of salt as I only spent a few minutes at a Bay area meet last year comparing the two...I also prefer the HE-500 (despite 'wanting' to prefer the HE-560 and resolve the comfort issue), I find the HE-560 to have a softer presentation and less dynamic.
I find the HE-500 has more depth of tone.

Basically I don't consider the HE-560 to be an upgrade in SQ which to my ears makes the HE-500 a classic.

Anyone else hear the HE-560 as softer?

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #15,788 of 20,386
Take this with a grain of salt as I only spent a few minutes at a Bay area meet last year comparing the two...I also prefer the HE-500 (despite 'wanting' to prefer the HE-560 and resolve the comfort issue), I find the HE-560 to have a softer presentation and less dynamic.

Basically I don't consider the HE-560 to be an upgrade in SQ which to my ears makes the HE-500 a classic.

Anyone else hear the HE-560 as softer?

Yes. HE-560 to my ears sounds softer, less energetic, less dynamic, thinner in the mids than the HE-500.
500 sounds more organic, richer.
560 has more detail at certain frequencies, but also seems slightly more rolled in the top octave compared to the 500.
560 is probably more neutral, and has tighter bass, but I still prefer the 500's presentation.
Kind of similar to HD 800 vs HD 650, where the HE-500 is the HD 650, and the HD 800 is the HE-560.
I liked the 650's richer, more midrange forward, more organic tone, over the HD 800's thinner, crisper, more distant midrange, faster, more detailed tone.
Just my 2 cents.

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #15,789 of 20,386

I think the above comments are on to something.
There is a propensity to seek ever increasing detail, sharpness of focus etc - but if natural tone is thrown out the window then the result is a musical joke IMO. 
To me the 500's produce a great deal of realistic information without pushing detail in an analytical (and unmusical) manner.
I think they do everything rather well and produce a very tonally realistic and natural balance that encourages long listening sessions - fatigue is very low.
There's no real penalty for the 500's natural tone, they have considerable 'wow' factor - soundstaging/speed/dynamics/bass extension/low level detail/delicacy/refinement - when teamed with a good amp
Frankly, my AKG Q701's sound 'broken' by comparison (and they're actually a pretty good HF).

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #15,791 of 20,386

For me, the word that comes to mind is "organic".

The 500s do a good job of putting me into the experience, especially with live music.  I've seen DMB 12-15 times and the 500s do the best job I've experienced in terms of recreating what it feels like to be there.  

When listening to the 560s, I spend more time listening to the headphones than I do listening to the music.

Technical superiority isn't everything.

Ignoring sound, the 500 is far less picky when it comes to proper amplification.  After trying many different options, I bought the modi 2U/vali and called it a day.

Unrelated, but will we be seeing some of you TN folk at the Music City Meetup?  I certainly hope so...

Now having spent a good amount of time with the HE-500s, I much prefer the Modi2U DAC over a line out from my mac, and the DAC on the E17 Alpen.  Also, I prefer the Lyr as an amp with them, although the Magni2U has plenty of power, and does a fine job as well. I have never heard the 560's but I agree with the "organic" feeling of the 500s, I am really enjoying them, no matter what music I throw at them.  I think I have hit my stopping point of searching and testing headphone gear.  This setup makes my ears happy.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #15,792 of 20,386
  Now having spent a good amount of time with the HE-500s, I much prefer the Modi2U DAC over a line out from my mac, and the DAC on the E17 Alpen.  Also, I prefer the Lyr as an amp with them, although the Magni2U has plenty of power, and does a fine job as well. I have never heard the 560's but I agree with the "organic" feeling of the 500s, I am really enjoying them, no matter what music I throw at them.  I think I have hit my stopping point of searching and testing headphone gear.  This setup makes my ears happy.

That's wonderful to hear. 

May I ask why you prefer the Lyr to the Magni2U? What differences are you hearing in the sound? I know it's difficult to find the right words when "echoic memory" interferes. 

Thanks.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #15,793 of 20,386
  That's wonderful to hear. 

May I ask why you prefer the Lyr to the Magni2U? What differences are you hearing in the sound? I know it's difficult to find the right words when "echoic memory" interferes. 

Thanks.

Great question, I have been trying to put my finger on it, but having difficulty describing it.  First, I find the highs detailed and articulate on both, but I find the Lyr sound more smooth and natural (maybe less fatiguing?).  In the upper mids, again, both do well, the Lyr mids are a bit more pleasing to my ear, especially with vocals and acoustic tracks.  I find that the soundstage feels slightly bigger, but not too distant, and instruments differentiate better (maybe the extra power helps? not sure).  On bass, they both deliver a punch and drive the headphones into the sub bass.  Again, the best I can describe is a more smooth or natural feel to the Lyr.  Honestly, they are both great amps. I just found that when A/Bing with them, I prefer the Lyr.  There were some "b stock" Lyr's on amazon way cheaper than a standard model, so I jumped on one.

The only thing I don't like - location of the power toggles.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #15,794 of 20,386
Im looking for new pads to put on my HE-500s, is there any pads that will put the headphones a bit further from my ears? Like 1-2cm thicker pads?

Love the headphones, i power them with a Lyr through a Bifrost Über. Waiting for my Forza Noir HPC Mk2, the original cable is driving me nuts. :p

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #15,795 of 20,386
  Im looking for new pads to put on my HE-500s, is there any pads that will put the headphones a bit further from my ears? Like 1-2cm thicker pads?

Love the headphones, i power them with a Lyr through a Bifrost Über. Waiting for my Forza Noir HPC Mk2, the original cable is driving me nuts. :p

So true, the cable is annoying (I am worried I may break it).  However, dropping another $150 for a new one - can't get myself there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back