HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #15,406 of 20,386
I can see it now. Just one continuous, 45-minutes lock-down shot of a man slowly chipping away at tiny glue pebbles, while head-fi avitars progressivly pop up to dispense cautionary tales like Dickensian Christmas ghosts.

LOL!  'Tis the season to "drag out the Dickens."

Now I'm thinking this needs to be a live broadcast.  If he charges like $0.50 a viewer, he might make enough to replace his HE-500s, and still go down in Internet history/ignominy (is there a difference, I wonder).

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #15,408 of 20,386
Livestream will be up at 13:00 EST, Pay Per View will be $0.75 to cover my medical bill after all the iron in my blood gravitates towards my fingers.

For inspiration check out this guy's vids. Educational and highly destructive. Maybe you can finish off by connecting them to two 1,000 w mono-blocks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4aI2Oiz1ps&app=desktop

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #15,411 of 20,386
Focus pads are essentially the retail manufactured version of the Jergpads. Focus pads were inspired by the Jergpads, not sure whether the latter are worth pursuing at this stage. You could instead compare Focus A pads and Focus pads to see which you prefer.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #15,412 of 20,386
Hmmm, the Violectric V100 has improved quite a bit since I first hooked it up. Would be interesting whether this is ear burn in or whether the amp was just basically never used and brand new (certainly looked that way out of the box) and still needed some burn in. Its definitely smoothed out somewhat in the highs and while it is not a sound stage monster by any means I'm starting to enjoy it more. I still miss the width on offer from the Emotiva Mini-X and it is not quite as dynamic, but the treble presentation is definitely smoother and delicate. If the Lake People G109 sounds similar then its a cracking starter headphone amp. What I enjoy a lot with this amp is that is works nicely with all my headphones with the pre-gain adjustment, of course with the G109 you have to open the amp up to access the dip switches. Even my Yamaha EPH-100 IEMs sound terrific out of it. The built-in 24-bit/96Khz USB DAC is not bad, but its easily outperformed by the Concero. Also took the plunge and upgraded to Audirvana+ 2.0.9 and while the difference is very subtle I do have a feeling that it sounds a bit clearer especially up top, this could also account for the better treble performance I've noticed with the V100. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #15,413 of 20,386
I actually have no idea if it's ear-burn in, but on some days I perceive tone differently than others. The HE-500 doesn't have a HUGE range but it certainly can be really impactful some days, and even shrill on others. I do not know if it's because my amp needed to warm up, I'm going nuts, or this is the beginning of me being able to document burn-in.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #15,414 of 20,386
I actually have no idea if it's ear-burn in, but on some days I perceive tone differently than others. The HE-500 doesn't have a HUGE range but it certainly can be really impactful some days, and even shrill on others. I do not know if it's because my amp needed to warm up, I'm going nuts, or this is the beginning of me being able to document burn-in.

When I first listened to the 500, the treble was a bit splashy and overbearing, but since then it's calmed down just enough for my taste. I haven't noticed any weird stuff like you're talking about, but then again, the Magni is SS so it doesn't really have to warm up.
Oh, and yes you're going nuts.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #15,415 of 20,386

When I first listened to the 500, the treble was a bit splashy and overbearing, but since then it's calmed down just enough for my taste. I haven't noticed any weird stuff like you're talking about, but then again, the Magni is SS so it doesn't really have to warm up.
Oh, and yes you're going nuts.

I was going to say the same as you but decided to leave that to someone else
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #15,416 of 20,386
I'm considering an upgrade of my amp to my HE 500. I currently have a ODAC / o2 combo. What I heard is that odac/o2 not have enough power to drive my headphones in full. What are the best recommendations for HE 500?

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #15,417 of 20,386
I'm considering an upgrade of my amp to my HE 500. I currently have a ODAC / o2 combo. What I heard is that odac/o2 not have enough power to drive my headphones in full. What are the best recommendations for HE 500?

Hi. A cheap but very good route is the entry level AudioGD stuff, NFB-11/15. DAC/AMP combo with very good power specs. I have the 500's and the NFB-15. Their pair very well with plenty headroom to play with volume pot.

Cheers!

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #15,418 of 20,386
Thanks for your reply. I have actually thought about the NFB 11 before. I think the impression you get from their website is not so good but then I read some good reviews about their products. How is the quality feel of their products?

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #15,420 of 20,386
Adding new DAC and some good vintage tubes takes the 500's to new level of enjoyment 
L3000.gif

Now running Jriver off pc to the Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 

I ended up with the MHDT Havana DAC,I replaced the stock GE with a Raytheon 5670 windmill getter,  In the Kenzie Headphone based on the darling I replaced the 12sl7 with a 60's Raytheon 2c52, I also replaced the tung-sol 1626 with a pair of 1943 vintage Hytron  foil D getter 1626's

All my grain is now gone from digital playback very much analog like, nice detail with solid bass and extended high that shimmer through decay, I think I have stumbled upon a great balance of synergy FINALLY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back