HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #13,847 of 20,386
Most speaker amps are power rated at 4 or 8 Ohms. If you're looking at a huge wattage spec,once you connect them to an HE-500 at 38 Ohms the power that they can deliver is far less than what is rated at 8 Ohms. In any case, a good clean amp is just that, so don't run out and grap a $20 Lepai and expect a huge win. You can do surprisingly good for around $100 or just get a Magni for the same price.

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #13,849 of 20,386
I'm running a recently acquired pair of HE-500s off my $40 Asus Xonar U3 usb soundcard while I try to decide on a "serious" amp/dac. The sound is surprisingly good, I'd recommend it as a super low budget amp.

I might try that at some point 
smily_headphones1.gif

I use my u3 to feed my DAC, that's about it..

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #13,850 of 20,386
Yep, it is not necessarily that the HE-500 requires a speaker amp. It is just that the Mini-X has lots of good synergy going with the HE-500. I specifically bought the Concero DAC due to its lower output 1.2Vrms (not withstanding that it is a great budget DAC in any event) which gives me a little bit more play on the volume pot. I see the Mini-X more like a Corvette 6.0 V8 engine. Pointless for driving on the highway, but oh so effortless. The Project Sunrise 2 in my view also had very nice synergy, but nowhere near the dynamics and bass response. The Lehmann Black Cube Linear sounded thin and bright on the HE-500 and it delivers around 400mW into 50ohm. No problems getting loud volume out of it.

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #13,852 of 20,386

I might try that at some point 
smily_headphones1.gif

I use my u3 to feed my DAC, that's about it..

I should note that I had to change the headphone setting to the higher gain and the channel output from 70% to 100%. I'm curious to see what an upgrade will change.

Guess I could do a comparison, just need to get a 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter then.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #13,853 of 20,386
  Yep, it is not necessarily that the HE-500 requires a speaker amp. It is just that the Mini-X has lots of good synergy going with the HE-500. I specifically bought the Concero DAC due to its lower output 1.2Vrms (not withstanding that it is a great budget DAC in any event) which gives me a little bit more play on the volume pot. I see the Mini-X more like a Corvette 6.0 V8 engine. Pointless for driving on the highway, but oh so effortless. The Project Sunrise 2 in my view also had very nice synergy, but nowhere near the dynamics and bass response. The Lehmann Black Cube Linear sounded thin and bright on the HE-500 and it delivers around 400mW into 50ohm. No problems getting loud volume out of it.

To get a real comparison you really should try doing an immediate A/B comparison using a switch and matched volumes. Despite good intentions, relying on memory has its problems.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #13,854 of 20,386
Th
  To get a real comparison you really shoulkd try doing an immediate A/B comparison using a switch and matched volumes. Despite good intentions, relying on memory has its problems.

The Sunrise 2 and Mini-X were direct comparisons as I held a shootout between the two and I ended up selling the Sunrise 2. The Lehmann Black Cube Linear however was not, but I owned it for long enough to know its ins and outs, but I'm sure it would have sounded smoother with the Concero in the loop.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #13,855 of 20,386
  Th

The Sunrise 2 and Mini-X were direct comparisons as I held a shootout between the two and I ended up selling the Sunrise 2. The Lehmann Black Cube Linear however was not, but I owned it for long enough to know its ins and outs, but I'm sure it would have sounded smoother with the Concero in the loop.

How did you compare the Sunrise 2 and Mini-X?

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #13,857 of 20,386

I listened to the Sunrise 2, then snipped off the 3.5mm jack, wired up some banana plugs. Connected it to the Mini-X, and went "#### this sounds much better!
basshead.gif
"... Not exactly scientific, but it left a lasting impression.

You would be surprised the difference that you might hear when flipping a switch and matching volumes. To a degree It was a surprise to me, even though I understood the importance of doing this. It's a cheap setup and well worth doing as it gives us a sobering experience, useful for lifting the babalaas/babelas of audio. 
blink.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #13,858 of 20,386
  You would be surprised the difference that you might hear when flipping a switch and matching volumes. To a degree It was a surprise to me, even though I understood the importance of doing this. It's a cheap setup and well worth doing as it gives us a sobering experience, useful for lifting the babalaas/babelas of audio. 
blink.gif

Lol, through the drunken fogginess I suddenly realised I was enjoying the Mini-x more at lower volumes! 
biggrin.gif
 Unfortunately the babbelas lasted throughout the next day and I couldn't be bothered reattaching the 3.5mm plug. I might just have ended up losing a finger!

Stan, you should visit South Africa, I'm sure you would appreciate a sip of this!

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #13,859 of 20,386

Lol, through the drunken fogginess I suddenly realised I was enjoying the Mini-x more at lower volumes! 
biggrin.gif
 Unfortunately the babbelas lasted throughout the next day and I couldn't be bothered reattaching the 3.5mm plug. I might just have ended up losing a finger!

Stan, you should visit South Africa, I'm sure you would appreciate a sip of this!

Bliksem, save that finger. It's a bit early in the morning right now, but maybe later this evening.
biggrin.gif

A number of decades ago I designed electronics for a company that made process control instrumentation, including digital scales. A company that we did business with in what was the RSA sent a fellow over to the states to learn our technology. You wouldn't be the same bloke? I seem to remember his name being similar or the same.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #13,860 of 20,386
  Bliksem, save that finger. It's a bit early in the morning right now, but maybe later this evening.
biggrin.gif

A number of decades ago I designed electronics for a company that made process control instrumentation, including digital scales. A company that we did business with in what was the RSA sent a fellow over to the states to learn our technology. You wouldn't be the same bloke? I seem to remember his name being similar or the same.

No! 
wink.gif
 Unfortunately I haven't been to the states, though I'd like to visit one day. I ended up doing FPGA digital work and avionics thereafter. I am very familiar with the place where Hifimanrookie is from. I see the bloke that came over definitely traded your knowledge for a couple of some distinctive RSA lingo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back