HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 25, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #12,556 of 20,386
 Thinking of selling the M-Stage HPA-2 for a Mini-X... and adding a Concero (or something similar). Do I keep the M Stage, which I'm quite content with, or go big...? Would the Mini-X & external DAC be THAT much better/worth it?

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #12,557 of 20,386
   Thinking of selling the M-Stage HPA-2 for a Mini-X... and adding a Concero (or something similar). Do I keep the M Stage, which I'm quite content with, or go big...? Would the Mini-X & external DAC be THAT much better/worth it?

The ONLY way to truly answer that is to try the setup, which unless you know someone close to you that owns it means youd have to buy it to try it.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #12,558 of 20,386
Is there anybody willing to sell their Mini-X? Id be interested, especially if you are in Australia or if you have modded it with a 1/4 jack. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #12,560 of 20,386
Have to say, rigs aside, if you guys haven't checked out Lorde's album, it's seriously good, and well mastered(at least to my ears).  The latest Young the Giant album is pretty nice too, and for anyone who is a fan of post hardcore Billy Talent 4(refuse to call it Dead Silence) is pretty freaking sweet. On the classical side it handled Dvorak well, Shostakovich piano sonata No 2. I wish I had my Chopin etudes on this computer because opus 10 no.4 is my go to quick piano piece.

Man these headphones are good 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #12,562 of 20,386
Weird, it says free shipping in the US... Regardless, there is something about the Ember that is more appealing aesthetically and the ability to tube roll. Money is not a huge issue, I'd just prefer to stay under $1k, but I believe either of these amps are more than competent. Choosing a DAC is proving to be a nightmare though...

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #12,563 of 20,386

Sound is pretty stellar. Had to get some longer interconnects to stack it though, due to the way the outputs are on the back of the NFB, and on the back width wise of the Mjolnir. I can say, this setup sounds extremely good, I really can't see myself upgrading source/amp anytime soon, now just to look at headphones :)

That NFB is balanced, right? Have you tested your mojo with a SE DAC? Any noticeable difference in terms of performance?

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #12,564 of 20,386
  Weird, it says free shipping in the US... Regardless, there is something about the Ember that is more appealing aesthetically and the ability to tube roll. Money is not a huge issue, I'd just prefer to stay under $1k, but I believe either of these amps are more than competent. Choosing a DAC is proving to be a nightmare though...

I live in Australia. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #12,566 of 20,386
I ended up paying 360$ for my emotiva because of the shipping and taxes. That is more than twice the price I paid. I kinda regret buying it at such a high price, for one because it hisses slightly along with the pot-meter not tracking well and it pops louder than I like on turn on/off.

Would rather have found a good second hand power amp or something. Or maybe the marantz pm 6005.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #12,567 of 20,386

That NFB is balanced, right? Have you tested your mojo with a SE DAC? Any noticeable difference in terms of performance?

I have not run it through a single ended DAC, only other DAC I have is on the EF2a, I did do a pretty thorough comparison of the NFB vs the EF2a's internal DAC, both running through the amplifier section of the EF2a, and there was(surprisingly) an audible difference, the NFB seems to offer both greater extension both ways and increased tightness on the bass. Comparing the MJ to the EF2a is a bit trickier as it's much harder for me to AB them, what with swapping out the cables on the HE-500(Need to get a XLR adapter), but there is greater realism, soundstage, and in general more competency throughout the frequency range, the HE-500s seem to expend no effort playing anything. I know that's all mostly ambiguous, but the empirical difference is the MJ seems to be lower noise and lower distortion, all the while having an increase in PRaT. If I get the chance I'll plug my cousin's Modi into it and see how that compares to the balanced NFB.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #12,568 of 20,386
  I have not run it through a single ended DAC, only other DAC I have is on the EF2a, I did do a pretty thorough comparison of the NFB vs the EF2a's internal DAC, both running through the amplifier section of the EF2a, and there was(surprisingly) an audible difference, the NFB seems to offer both greater extension both ways and increased tightness on the bass. Comparing the MJ to the EF2a is a bit trickier as it's much harder for me to AB them, what with swapping out the cables on the HE-500(Need to get a XLR adapter), but there is greater realism, soundstage, and in general more competency throughout the frequency range, the HE-500s seem to expend no effort playing anything. I know that's all mostly ambiguous, but the empirical difference is the MJ seems to be lower noise and lower distortion, all the while having an increase in PRaT. If I get the chance I'll plug my cousin's Modi into it and see how that compares to the balanced NFB.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts. Guess I'll have to try the mojo with a balanced DAC at some point. Or atleast a better SE one.

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #12,569 of 20,386

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts. Guess I'll have to try the mojo with a balanced DAC at some point. Or atleast a better SE one.

FWIW the NFB does have a SE out, as far as DACs go I found there isn't actually, or maybe i just didn't find them, a large selection of pure DACs, the Modi and Bifrost come to mind but other than that it seems you only get dac/amp combos till you get toe the higher end.

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #12,570 of 20,386

Nothing surprising for me personally cuz I always said this from the start.  From my S4 and Samsung tablet, the HE500 sounds very decent; more than enough to enjoy my music though the quality is far from what you would get from Emo.
Be realistic and flexible about your expectation in each situation!

Yes, from all of talk, I expected a whisper when I pluged my HE500 into my S3 or laptop. Behold, music and not half bad. I still prefer my desktop amp with plenty of headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back