HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #11,341 of 20,386
In fact right now I'm listening to my HD600's if that's safe to say in this thread.:D
If you like HE-500's, you'd probably prefer HD600's over HD650's. Did you find the treble in the HD650's wanting in comparison to the HE500?

What if i just prefer the hd600's to the hd650's and the he500's. Got these things yesterday, def not to my taste. I don't think i'd enjoy half the music i love if i'd heard it on these first

That new nick cave album (which is great btw) is like a washed out mess on these.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #11,342 of 20,386
  I understand about the treble.  However, the HE-500s treble is "not" like either, that's why all the mods - for the sometimes bothersome treble.

Now the mids and the bass area are more alike in the HE-500 and HD-650s than the HD-600s.  No questions there.  

Also the 600s treble is not any more "revealing" so to speak than the 650s.  You hear no more information in the 600s than the 650s  ha ha,,,

Maybe not more revealing but to me the HD600 sounds more accurate, not subdued. The HE-500 has a small peak at around 9 Khz or thereabouts but the baseline for treble is more like the HD600. It is something that I can listen to as it is not a big resonant peak. I prefer this to a subdued treble. I have a parametric EQ setting in NeutronMP that takes it out.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #11,343 of 20,386
A bit oftopic..but i first experienced clipping of an amp ..it was horrific..like i was listening to a station who was very weak...all was disturbed.. Bass was just cracking..at a point i was afraid in damaging my code-x!! It was weird that it only appeared Especially on 24bit tracks... So i am guessing that my usb amp is to weak for my code-x
redface.gif
damn..cant wait to get my new powerful amp! Just wanted u to know this..as i never ever knew what u guys meant with clipping... Now i know.
wink.gif

Yeah, clipping sucks, like fuzzbox where you don't want one. Are you sure of where in the chain this is happening?

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #11,344 of 20,386
@hifimanrookie, why not get yourself something like the G109 as a stop gap till you get your custom amp? Your not going to run out of juice with that amplifier and it shouldn't cost you a complete arm and a leg and then later I will buy it from you..
biggrin.gif
 I'm sure it will run your Code-X headphones very nicely indeed.

I also got a huge fright once when my Dragonfly DAC decided to bomb out and caused all sorts of very loud cracking and static on my headphones. Its one of the reasons why I got rid of that little DAC, its a bit too fragile unless you use a pigtail and the 3.5mm ports aren't very secure if hooked up to something with as many Watts as the Mini-X. With the Concero I'm using locking Madrigal RCA interconnects.

I also felt the Sennheiser HD580 shared a bit of the HE-500 sound signature. The HE-500 is more forward in the mids which I prefer (the HD580 could sound a bit bland with some music) and goes down much lower in the bass. The treble on the HD580 never bothered me and sounded a bit more consistent through the spectrum though I found it more grainier sounding. The Mini-X + HE-500 definitely requires a DAC that is more gentle in the highs. With the Concero its not too bad and the Madrigal interconnects definitely take away some of the etch. With the PS Audio NuWave it was at times unlistenable, serves me right for demo'ing DACs on a tube amp...

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #11,345 of 20,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD 

In fact right now I'm listening to my HD600's if that's safe to say in this thread.
biggrin.gif

If you like HE-500's, you'd probably prefer HD600's over HD650's. Did you find the treble in the HD650's wanting in comparison to the HE500?
What if i just prefer the hd600's to the hd650's and the he500's. Got these things yesterday, def not to my taste. I don't think i'd enjoy half the music i love if i'd heard it on these first

That new nick cave album (which is great btw) is like a washed out mess on these.

Ultimately it's you who are to be pleased not the folks at the other end of your browser. I'd take a little more time to hear the differences and compare back and forth using the same music and hardware chain. Don't forget to match the volumes to avoid being tricked by loudness contours. Good listening....

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #11,346 of 20,386
Yeah, clipping sucks, like fuzzbox where you don't want one. Are you sure of where in the chain this is happening?

Yes am sure..its the cheapish amp i found just recently to use to burn my new phone in.its to weak with around 500mW or something..i didnt even try to plug my he5 code-x directly into my laptop as that for sure would probably burn my internal amp in my asus laptop. :xf_eek:
Oh well...i now listen to music on very low volume... Only that way clipping stays under 50%.
@dearron. Yes am thinking about getting myself a stronger affordable second hand headphone amp.. A model thats easily sold afterwards..shiit comes to my mind :D

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #11,347 of 20,386
Yes am thinking about getting myself a stronger affordable second hand headphone amp.. A model thats easily sold afterwards..shiit comes to my mind
biggrin.gif

Gross, you would resell your shiiit? 
tongue.gif
 Sorry I had to LMAO

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #11,348 of 20,386
Jan 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #11,349 of 20,386
Jan 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #11,350 of 20,386
I'm just waiting for someone to recommend the Lepai... Just so I can reply with "NO!"

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #11,351 of 20,386
I'm just waiting for someone to recommend the Lepai... Just so I can reply with "NO!"

Let me get you warmed up. First thing that comes to your mind, alright.
O2

GO!

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #11,352 of 20,386

Haha you and the Lepai. After buying it myself and just using it just for comparison purposes, it's been tucked away since. Seeing I'm not using it at all, it's only fitting that I gift it to you. Just pay for the shipping cost (which is like 50% the value of the amp itself) and promise to do an impression/review on it for our entertainment, and it's yours. Just me know if you're interested.
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #11,353 of 20,386
Lmao I probably should. Though you did just say it's been tucked away. Doesn't that already prove something? Lol

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #11,354 of 20,386
Let me get you warmed up. First thing that comes to your mind, alright.
O2

GO!
I've actually read that the o2 should be good from a technical standpoint. However, miceblue had his o2 and I've also read reviews and can definitely say (even the guy in this thread I think, with a star as his pic) that it doesn't power the he500 well enough. It has been known to have iffy bass and sharp highs. Both signs of not enough juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back