HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 24, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #11,296 of 20,386
well that makes sense why you said it would be better with the pleathers. you figured the memory foam, screen and adhesive of the pleather would combine both aspects.  i would think the added air between the driver and ear and the massive cotton bulge allow for cleaner sonic stability then some small wholes that are barely in the path of the sound anyways.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #11,297 of 20,386
  and i know it sounds like i'm going out of my way to push this mod.  i have asked peoples opinion but you are the only one to do it so i thank you for that.  i always get a negative vibe from the 400 thread.  i try to stay away from it. so i went to two other threads with people with hifiman headphones.  
I really don't see what's so great about the jerg mod.  someone is making money off something that is really not that awesome in my eyes or ears.  It cleaned the sound up a little.
In my eyes i made it easier for anyone to dampen the sound, added the benefits of angling the pads and imo the drivers needed more space away from the ears as i feel the added body needed more room to breath to sound coherent

It's still something that someone can definitely do on a budget. I'm just saying that in the end the jergpads probably add much more of a benefit (to the HE500, anyway) than this slight modification. Though I do see what you mean by trying to get more people to try it to get opinions / responses. He's not making any money off of it, Modulor is making a minimal profit margin and that includes the extensive work he puts in to make them in the first place. He is doing it for the community.
Who says we cannot COMBINE these mods??
What is "cleaner sonic stability" anyway?

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #11,298 of 20,386
i always get a negative vibe from the 400 thread.

Yeah I hate that thread too. It's a little better here, but I would say the HE-6 thread is where you wanna go, where people are more relaxed and helpful and tend to agree on everything.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #11,300 of 20,386
Well the velour top covers most of the dampening along with the dampening holes... I don't necessarily know what you meant by "not in the path of the sound" because what else will be then? The extra material left over is negligible and probably doesn't add much resonance anyways. The holes on the outside of the pleather allow the soundwaves to travel OUT somewhere (or THROUGH the pad), making the sound yet again cleaner (I think that's the process). I'd say the extra dampening of the cotton is unnecessary, but who knows. We'd might as well combine these mods though..

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #11,301 of 20,386
  and i know it sounds like i'm going out of my way to push this mod.  i have asked peoples opinion but you are the only one to do it so i thank you for that.  i always get a negative vibe from the 400 thread.  i try to stay away from it. so i went to two other threads with people with hifiman headphones.  
I really don't see what's so great about the jerg mod.  someone is making money off something that is really not that awesome in my eyes or ears.  It cleaned the sound up a little.
In my eyes i made it easier for anyone to dampen the sound, added the benefits of angling the pads and imo the drivers needed more space away from the ears as i feel the added body needed more room to breath to sound coherent

Shouldn't be any reason you can't express your opinion and ask for feedback with those willing to try a modification. I don't see why anyone should get uptight. Enjoy the music and life and this is one place anyone should be able to do that. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #11,302 of 20,386
  Shouldn't be any reason you can't express your opinion and ask for feedback with those willing to try a modification. I don't see why anyone should get uptight. Enjoy the music and life and this is one place anyone should be able to do that. 

It's one thing to accept feedback vs to deny feedback...
But TBH he's being pretty fair about all this and I'm not necessarily trying to argue here rather than just explain my thoughts and opinion on the matter. The mod is one cheap way to get decent results without much disadvantages anywhere...so it isn't like it hurts.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #11,303 of 20,386
Yeah I hate that thread too. It's a little better here, but I would say the HE-6 thread is where you wanna go, where people are more relaxed and helpful and tend to agree on everything.

Maybe because people dont need to prove anything anymore to anyone as they already probably are on their endgame phone and the rest? :wink:

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #11,304 of 20,386
One thing that I will say is that even though the 14khz-20khz boost on the HE500 adds "air" it also sounds pretty artificial...

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #11,305 of 20,386
  One thing that I will say is that even though the 14khz-20khz boost on the HE500 adds "air" it also sounds pretty artificial...

More like a small peak around 9-10 khz, IMO hardly artificial. Easily tuned out with NeutronMP's parametric EQ.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #11,306 of 20,386

Yes but I think it depends more on personal preference...consider this:  If someone is more sensitive to 14kHz-18kHz region, then they would need less of an emphasis there to achieve a more natural/correct sound to them, and vice versa.  Because of variances like this, I can totally understand why some would want more emphasis in this region.  I'm one of the ones who enjoys the treble presentation in the HE-500 but I'm not limited there.  I also quite like the way treble is presented in both HD600 and Lambdas for pretty different reasons, and of course there are some I've tried that I didn't much care for the treble or it was just too grainy/harsh/peaky.  Don't get me wrong, more air is a good thing and adds another dimension in terms of rendering realistic sounding ambiance...and e-stats come to mind here as being among the top contenders for rendering air best.  I would say the amount of air in the HE-500 is certainly better than most, but there are headphones out there that indeed do it better with other compromises...you can't have it all lol. If one of the newer models can retain or improve on the traits of, say, the HE-500 (their tonal balance, especially in the mids and intimacy of vocals/strings, perhaps a bit more refinement in the bass) and give a greater, even more realistic sense of air without overdoing it for my own tastes, well...that would truly be amazing.

I'd also agree that there is a limit to what you can do with EQ ultimately, software or hardware...

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #11,307 of 20,386
  Yes but I think it depends more on personal preference...consider this:  If someone is more sensitive to 14kHz-18kHz region, then they would need less of an emphasis there to achieve a more natural/correct sound to them, and vice versa.  Because of variances like this, I can totally understand why some would want more emphasis in this region.  I'm one of the ones who enjoys the treble presentation in the HE-500 but I'm not limited there.  I also quite like the way treble is presented in both HD600 and Lambdas for pretty different reasons, and of course there are some I've tried that I didn't much care for the treble or it was just too grainy/harsh/peaky.  Don't get me wrong, more air is a good thing and adds another dimension in terms of rendering realistic sounding ambiance...and e-stats come to mind here as being among the top contenders for rendering air best.  I would say the amount of air in the HE-500 is certainly better than most, but there are headphones out there that indeed do it better with other compromises...you can't have it all lol. If one of the newer models can retain or improve on the traits of, say, the HE-500 (their tonal balance, especially in the mids and intimacy of vocals/strings, perhaps a bit more refinement in the bass) and give a greater, even more realistic sense of air without overdoing it for my own tastes, well...that would truly be amazing.

I'd also agree that there is a limit to what you can do with EQ ultimately, software or hardware...

I think the bass is pretty packed and tight; the bass does lack a little detail though. What the He 500 excels best at IMO is it's resolution and clarity along with a punchy deep end, what it lacks is mid-treble and mid-bass causing a separation between the mids, treble, and bass (everything seems to play on it's own, like how the bass doesn't bleed into the mids, or vice-versa), but if you ask me I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #11,308 of 20,386
I think the bass is pretty packed and tight; the bass does lack a little detail though. What the He 500 excels best at IMO is it's resolution and clarity along with a punchy deep end, what it lacks is mid-treble and mid-bass causing a separation between the mids, treble, and bass (everything seems to play on it's own, like how the bass doesn't bleed into the mids, or vice-versa), but if you ask me I wouldn't have it any other way.

The modulor pads 2.0 solved that for me for the big part... But now i have my new phone i see that the he500 needs some upper treble and clarity and a bit more mid bass...

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #11,309 of 20,386
"I'm going for the paradoxes, thank you everyone for you inputs, both subjective and objective were heavily appreciated, the neutrality just won me over, plus I dislike dark headphones. Again I thank you."

-I remember when I posted this, now i feel like a complete hypocrite, thanks everyone.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #11,310 of 20,386
  "I'm going for the paradoxes, thank you everyone for you inputs, both subjective and objective were heavily appreciated, the neutrality just won me over, plus I dislike dark headphones. Again I thank you."

-I remember when I posted this, now i feel like a complete hypocrite, thanks everyone.

Have you decided on a substitute amp for your O2 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back