HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #8,356 of 20,386
  Woah, nice. My uncle just bought a nice 18" sub as well to accompany his 70k$ speakers, haven't heard the combination yet.

I've been a home theater and speaker building enthusiast for years. I have a fully DIY setup that is audio bliss, but it becomes useless on weeknights, unless i wanted to spend tens of thousands of dollars soundproofing.

Once I learned of Head-Fi, I caught the headphone/IEM bug now too. I never would have known how amazing the HE-500 is without this place. Now I'm testing all sorts of headphones and watching my wallet get slimmer. lol

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #8,357 of 20,386
^Nice, few speaker enthusiasts seem to be able to enjoy headphones from my experience.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #8,358 of 20,386
   It's funny... I think these are what I was hoping the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600 Ohm were going to be (which I'm going to put up for sale soon).

It's funny, but the DT880 Pro were what I was hoping the HE-500 was going to be. I sold the HE-500 and am living happily ever after.
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #8,359 of 20,386

It's funny, but the DT880 Pro were what I was hoping the HE-500 was going to be. I sold the HE-500 and am living happily ever after.
tongue.gif

Well, if anyone else is looking to "trade up" like pp312 here, I've got a pair of DT880s for you! 
atsmile.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #8,360 of 20,386
^Nice, few speaker enthusiasts seem to be able to enjoy headphones from my experience.

+1

Or at least that is how it sounds it to me.

Only caveat is that the room is another ingredient as opposed to the headphone experience and once speaker has been calibrated for the room, a good pair of speakers are going to really sing. Only problem is that, as with all good speakers, louder sounds better and you have a tendency to go louder, something which one cannot do in absence of proper sound proofing.

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #8,361 of 20,386

Who makes them? My DIY achievements are limited to making coffee etc. 
" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/redface.gif" />

I am the same, so I just bought the materials and sought the help of a hobbyist friend who is handy with a soldering iron. Page 1 of the emotiva thread mentions that you can order cables like this from BTG-Audio and zynsonix.com:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

Thanks, The cost of cables are forcing a rethink.

May be the money for the speaker taps could be put to a balanced cable setup for use with the balanced Amp/DAC.

One advantage of Emotiva or a similar AMP is that they double up as a speaker AMP if you need it.

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #8,363 of 20,386
I bought Audioquest banana plugs for reasonably cheap and just chopped off the 3.5mm jack. I'll buy a Viablue or Cardas 6.3mm headphone plug should I ever want to return it to stock form. But speaker taps makes a big difference to the HE-500s!

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #8,364 of 20,386

Took the plunge and went for a speaker amp setup. Everything is more refined and smooth. The separation gets a big boost. Bass has more impact and is tighter, but it does not drown out anything else (the separation). There is a slight hum when no music is playing, but once the music starts playing, it's indiscernible. I really only hear it between tracks and even when the song is reaching the end and losing volume, I cannot hear the hum until the song completely finishes since it take a second for my ear to adjust from music to no music to noticing hum. Might only be a problem if listening to classical tracks.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #8,365 of 20,386

Took the plunge and went for a speaker amp setup. Everything is more refined and smooth. The separation gets a big boost. Bass has more impact and is tighter, but it does not drown out anything else (the separation). There is a slight hum when no music is playing, but once the music starts playing, it's indiscernible. I really only hear it between tracks and even when the song is reaching the end and losing volume, I cannot hear the hum until the song completely finishes since it take a second for my ear to adjust from music to no music to noticing hum. Might only be a problem if listening to classical tracks.

Which amp did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back