HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #5,896 of 20,386
Quote:
Just imagined Aladdin with HE-500 on 
bigsmile_face.gif

One of my favorite movies of all time. Ahh... childhood.
k701smile.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #5,897 of 20,386
Quote:

l0l!!! and yeah, imo, fostex/denon are probably the best for rap/hiphop if you enjoy tons of bass in that type of music. th-900 and lcd-3 are my next purchases though. (hopefully i will be able to let go of my LCD-2, and save some money, it would suck if i end up deciding to keep both)

Do the TH-900 kick hard enough though? The Denon's didn't kick as hard as LCD-2/3 or HE-500 even though they had more quantity.

Early warning: You'll miss LCD-2's mid bass slam. LCD-3 goes hard in the sub bass though. LOL kinda like the Denon's - but much better. Other than that, you'll like the 3's.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #5,898 of 20,386
Quote:

Do the TH-900 kick hard enough though? The Denon's didn't kick as hard as LCD-2/3 or HE-500 even though they had more quantity.

Early warning: You'll miss LCD-2's mid bass slam. LCD-3 goes hard in the sub bass though. LOL kinda like the Denon's - but much better. Other than that, you'll like the 3's.

yeah, when i heard them, i felt they weren't as aggressive or as strong in the midbass, a reason i might want to keep LCD-2 as well. didnt have a chance to really test out the sub-bass.

the TH-900 hit about as hard as the denons i think, maybe a little more slam though just cause the bass seems to have more tautness and a bit more speed and control. more, i'm not sure, but definitely not less.

i would love to say that they didn't have as strong of a sub-bass, but a bit more mid-bass to finally balance it out nicely, but then i'd just be making stuff up and/or guessing 
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #5,899 of 20,386
Quote:
One of my favorite movies of all time. Ahh... childhood.
k701smile.gif

Yup. Movies and the show. If only Genie could hook me up with some top shelf stuff. I can imagine an amp powered by Iago who got trapped by Genie and has to run in one of those hamster wheel things and if he stops...you can probably think of something.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #5,900 of 20,386
Quote:
Yup. Movies and the show. If only Genie could hook me up with some top shelf stuff. I can imagine an amp powered by Iago who got trapped by Genie and has to run in one of those hamster wheel things and if he stops...you can probably think of something.

Iago is the best. I love that bird.

You're a much better audiophile than me Zoom, because I would want the Genie to hook me up with Jasmine, and perhaps throw in the magic carpet as a bonus. Who needs headphones when you've got Jasmine singing in your ears?
wink_face.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #5,901 of 20,386
Quote:

yeah, when i heard them, i felt they weren't as aggressive or as strong in the midbass, a reason i might want to keep LCD-2 as well. didnt have a chance to really test out the sub-bass.

the TH-900 hit about as hard as the denons i think, maybe a little more slam though just cause the bass seems to have more tautness and a bit more speed and control. more, i'm not sure, but definitely not less.

i would love to say that they didn't have as strong of a sub-bass, but a bit more mid-bass to finally balance it out nicely, but then i'd just be making stuff up and/or guessing 
tongue.gif

So you're basically saying the TH-900 is a Harder Better Faster Stronger Denon. 
biggrin.gif

(Still need to listen to Random Access Memories)

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #5,902 of 20,386
hifiman already has a world class headphone that can compete with anything and it is called the he 6. you can listen to this thing plugged into a 200 bucks emotiva x100 or a 14 000 bucks accuphase  a65 pure class a solid state amp. the only limit is your wallet.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5,903 of 20,386
Quote:
Iago is the best. I love that bird.

You're a much better audiophile than me Zoom, because I would want the Genie to hook me up with Jasmine, and perhaps throw in the magic carpet as a bonus. Who needs headphones when you've got Jasmine singing in your ears?
wink_face.gif

OMG am I really one of them now...an...audiophile? This is terrible. I hadn't even considered that. HEAD-FI DID THIS TO ME!!!

LOL You're a whore M-13. Both Jasmine and Scarlett!? Lemme guess, in a closet as well.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #5,904 of 20,386
Quote:
My personal opinion is that the speaker amplifier market is pretty saturated. There's a lot of performance for the given prices in these units, and manufacturers are always fighting to keep an edge. Headphones and headphone amplifiers are still a very very small portion of the audio market, and in reality we have a small number of manufacturers catering to us. 

+1. Exactly. Speaker amps, and good speaker amps, have been around for many decades. Hence, why vintage amps still have a place. Headphone amps are still quite new. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #5,907 of 20,386
Jul 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #5,908 of 20,386
So I plugged in my HE-500 directly to the speaker outputs (for the first time) of a vintage harman/kardon PM640 Vxi.

I could only hear two noticeable differences to the usual headphone outs I know and love.

1 - there was a noise floor - so that's the amp. Nothing out of the ordinary so it doesn't really count.
2 - the sub bass was a touch more dominant. It was also less tight and slower. If I listened to a lot more electronic music I might consider making space on my desk for a speaker amp, but even then I much prefer the bass from some of my other dynamic headphones.

If there were any differences to be heard in the midrange or treble, they were not significant enough on this amp to make an accurate judgement. 

I may try out my more humble Fisher amp in future (whose headphone out I prefer to the lifeless harman kardon's), but for now it's connected to it's cable-salad under the TV.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #5,909 of 20,386
Quote:
Ima stop the recycling, has anyone listen to Taylor swift on the he 500s?

While I don't listen to Taylor swift, I did compare the cup size of the HE500 to Taylor Swift's and the HE500 managed to win by a small margin based on roundness and firmness.  Does this count? 
deadhorse.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #5,910 of 20,386
Quote:
While I don't listen to Taylor swift, I did compare the cup size of the HE500 to Taylor Swift's and the HE500 managed to win by a small margin based on roundness and firmness.  Does this count? 
deadhorse.gif

Interesting comparison. Do you have any visual aids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back