HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #5,836 of 20,386
Quote:
Well I haven't had the Emotiva that long so I don't want to draw any hasty conclusions.  However, I will say that so far, the low end does seem improved on the Emotiva.

The bass should at least have more energy and extension behind it.  Cleaner/tighter more definition are of course other attributes to look for, at least for me.  Just louder/stronger bass is not the answer and why I am testing out the Mini-X.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #5,837 of 20,386
Quote:

I am just hoping that I will hear the difference between the E09K and the Emotiva :)  Otherwise, it's time for me stop and get out this hobby cuz obviously I've hit what you pros call it?  "end game"?
biggrin.gif
and of course, save myself lots of money.

Yeah the E09K is surprising nice. It's a nice improvement from the old E09. I think Jason at Schiit said it best when he said if you build a amp with op-amps and run them within spec you get a very clean sound and crazy awesome distortion numbers (not to mention absolute black silent background). The Emotiva is an all discrete design, like the Magni/Asgard/Lyr/Soloist., etc... I think the magic of the discrete design is that the music sounds more analog and less digital, although it's dirtier/grainier. Over time I've come to appreciate discrete designs and prefer them and now totally understand what Jason was talking about.

Like Zoom says. Give it some time when you get the Emotiva. I would say, focus when the music gets complex and multiple things are happening at the same time at all frequency extremes. This is when your HE-500 will use the extra juice(current) and the Emotiva will show you that tight/nimble control of the drivers. It won't lose any dynamic range at the bass or treble and reproduce everything smoothly the edges of attack won't be blunted at all.

Plus I felt like there was a small period of burn-in for the Emotiva. Maybe 24~48 hours, after which point it sounded stable/best. Not that it sounded terrible out of the box or anything.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #5,838 of 20,386
Quote:
Yeah the E09K is surprising nice. It's a nice improvement from the old E09. I think Jason at Schiit said it best when he said if you build a amp with op-amps and run them within spec you get a very clean sound and crazy awesome distortion numbers (not to mention absolute black silent background). The Emotiva is an all discrete design, like the Magni/Asgard/Lyr/Soloist., etc... I think the magic of the discrete design is that the music sounds more analog and less digital, although it's dirtier/grainier. Over time I've come to appreciate discrete designs and prefer them and now totally understand what Jason was talking about.

Like Zoom says. Give it some time when you get the Emotiva. I would say, focus when the music gets complex and multiple things are happening at the same time at all frequency extremes. This is when your HE-500 will use the extra juice(current) and the Emotiva will show you that tight/nimble control of the drivers. It won't lose any dynamic range at the bass or treble and reproduce everything smoothly the edges of attack won't be blunted at all.

Plus I felt like there was a small period of burn-in for the Emotiva. Maybe 24~48 hours, after which point it sounded stable/best. Not that it sounded terrible out of the box or anything.

M-13,
This is your best post so far about the Emotiva.
tongue.gif
  especially when you said the Emotiva would be a little dirtier/grainier (not for bass though) and more analog sounding.   This is right up my favorite ally when it comes to sound signature
Thank you

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #5,839 of 20,386
Quote:
M-13, This is your best post so far about the Emotiva.
tongue.gif
  especially when you said the Emotiva would be a little dirtier/grainier (not for bass though) and more analog sounding.   This is right up my favorite ally when it comes to sound signature
Thank you

This post is nothing compared to my tampon post in the LCD-2 thread. My finest moment...
evil_smiley.gif
 (I almost felt like Purrin [creator of the toilet-pants mod for the LCD-3])

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #5,843 of 20,386
Repost tampon post here please (!)

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #5,849 of 20,386
Good question. Headroom some would say, but that isn't really an explanation. Some would might say that it can drive the hp's with more authority and control. That doesn't really explain much either. To me at least.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #5,850 of 20,386
Big head...room always gives more pleasure depending on who you ask
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back