HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #5,372 of 20,386
Quote:
Well I sing like an angel, probably the greatest voice of my generation and the HE-500 renders my voice the best. Not quite like the magic of hearing it live, but it gets close.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #5,374 of 20,386
Tonight was my first long session with the HE-500 - I just put my collection on shuffle.  I see why these have been described as 'genre masters' now, I am really enjoying them alot for everything!  Uh oh, Planet Rock by Afrika Bambaataa just came on...those vocals and bass...

L3000.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #5,375 of 20,386
Quote:
Hi guys, im an amateur audiophile and i recently received a new pair of hifiman he 500 and the sound that came through my asus essence stx sound card is pretty disappointing. It sounds rather weak and 'anemic' if that makes sense which is way different from what i auditioned.

I read through some posts in the forum that he500 really needs a synergistic amp to get the most out of the cans and i have no qualms about getting a new desktop amp and getting rid of my essence stx.

My budget would be around 300-400 hundred dollars and please share some ideas/ suggestions so that im not making a mistake with my well earned money

I know this might ve posted numerous times already but time is not a luxury that i could have. Thanks in advance!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

$220

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #5,376 of 20,386
Quote:
Hi guys, im an amateur audiophile and i recently received a new pair of hifiman he 500 and the sound that came through my asus essence stx sound card is pretty disappointing. It sounds rather weak and 'anemic' if that makes sense which is way different from what i auditioned.

I read through some posts in the forum that he500 really needs a synergistic amp to get the most out of the cans and i have no qualms about getting a new desktop amp and getting rid of my essence stx.

My budget would be around 300-400 hundred dollars and please share some ideas/ suggestions so that im not making a mistake with my well earned money

I know this might ve posted numerous times already but time is not a luxury that i could have. Thanks in advance!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project/75#post_8847491

$220

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #5,377 of 20,386
Quote:
I am curious as to what version you tried? The ones I tried I believe were the 3.0 version, but you make a good point the hardest thing about this hobby is recommending headphones or doing comparisons when people hear and enjoy different things, you just have to see what works for you.

I'd have to ask gopanthers because they were his.  He returned his Mad Dogs after hearing the HE400s and bought the HE400s.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #5,378 of 20,386
Krussster, check out the Project Ember amp from Garage 1217 which is $300 which should fall easily into your budget. I've got the Project Sunrise which gives slightly less output but definitely makes the HE-500 sing and to me. Way better compared to the headphone amp on the Essence STX I can assure you, its definitely the best amp I have used so far with the HE-500 and it has good synergy. I have since sold my Essence STX and Audiolab M-DAC. With the sale of the Audiolab M-DAC I bought a Dragonfly DAC and the Project Sunrise and had spare cash left over for tubes.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #5,379 of 20,386
Quote:
Krussster, check out the Project Ember amp from Garage 1217 which is $300 which should fall easily into your budget. I've got the Project Sunrise which gives slightly less output but definitely makes the HE-500 sing and to me. Way better compared to the headphone amp on the Essence STX I can assure you, its definitely the best amp I have used so far with the HE-500 and it has good synergy. I have since sold my Essence STX and Audiolab M-DAC. With the sale of the Audiolab M-DAC I bought a Dragonfly DAC and the Project Sunrise and had spare cash left over for tubes.

I was somewhat considering the M-DAC before, and I still might in the future...how are you liking the sound after changing from the M-DAC to Dragonfly?

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #5,381 of 20,386
Quote:
buying he500....

what replacement headband / cousin / cover will fit he500 ?

This is the one I have been using for the past 6+ months: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Pad-fit-BEYER-HiFiMAN-DENON-SONY-KOSS-BOSE-BEATS-DRE-Headphones-/200799150982

You somewhat have to snap the buttons on a bit forcefully. Totally worth the comfort.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #5,384 of 20,386
Quote:

I was somewhat considering the M-DAC before, and I still might in the future...how are you liking the sound after changing from the M-DAC to Dragonfly?

The Audiolab M-DAC is definitely a class above the DF, but there are certain things I didn't particularly like about the M-DAC. It is very forward sounding and makes a lot of music sound larger than life. Some people might like it, but I prefer a more balanced approached, in that sense the DF sounds more balanced to me. The M-DAC has superior detail retrieval and I also like the filter settings. For the HE-500 I used the Optimal Phase which is a bit less aggressive and tones down the brightness on the HE-500 and then with the more laid back sounding Westone 4s I used the Optimal Spectrum setting to liven things up a bit. So from that perspective the M-DAC is certainly a very versatile piece of kit. I bought the DF mainly for its portability so I can use it with my Macbook Air while I'm travelling. The store I purchased it from also offered me a very good deal on it. I'm currently saving up for a NAD M51 DAC or W4S mINT unit.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #5,385 of 20,386
Quote:

The Audiolab M-DAC is definitely a class above the DF, but there are certain things I didn't particularly like about the M-DAC. It is very forward sounding and makes a lot of music sound larger than life. Some people might like it, but I prefer a more balanced approached, in that sense the DF sounds more balanced to me. The M-DAC has superior detail retrieval and I also like the filter settings. For the HE-500 I used the Optimal Phase which is a bit less aggressive and tones down the brightness on the HE-500 and then with the more laid back sounding Westone 4s I used the Optimal Spectrum setting to liven things up a bit. So from that perspective the M-DAC is certainly a very versatile piece of kit. I bought the DF mainly for its portability so I can use it with my Macbook Air while I'm travelling. The store I purchased it from also offered me a very good deal on it. I'm currently saving up for a NAD M51 DAC or W4S mINT unit.

Thanks for the update. Btw, how was the built in headphone amplifier?

NAD M51 - That's the one I'm saving up for too! 
beerchug.gif

I was thinking M-DAC for awhile but have pretty much decided to get the NAD after saving up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back