HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #5,011 of 20,386
Quote:
i am using nfb-11.32 as a dac/amp combo with he500 which gives about 2.7W into the headphones so it is above the recommended power input for he500. I can use the dac and another amp if i wish but i cannot use the head amp alone from the 11.32 and use another dac of my choosing. Although you can use the amp of compass2 if you do not use the dac.. atleast that is what i heard...

The compass is an audio gd dac + the C2.2 (now replaced by the Nfb6) amp put together in the same box. You can use it as stand alone preamp/headamp/dac/variable dac output.

The Audio-gd dac/amp combos use current drive for the headphone out, that's why you cannot use it as a dedicated headphone amp.

Also is that paracord sleeving? where did you get that nice blue color 
wink.gif

May 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #5,012 of 20,386
Quote:
But I presume you can use them as a DAC and plug in another standalone amp...

TBH I am not sure why you would want to use it as an amp and buy a standalone dac because the dac is the main feature of it anyway and the amp is more of an extra. If you plan to do that you may as well just buy a seperate amp and dac now.

Yes, you can use them as stand alone dac.
It is debatable whether the main feature of NFB-5 or NFB-10 is the dac and not the amp. I had found the amp part of NFB-10 to be very good (better , comparably, to the dac part - and I am not implying tha the dac part is bad).
Dacs happen to evolve faster than amps, so it is not unlikely that you will wish to upgrade the dac first.
If you go for Audio GD Compass you can for sure use either the dac or amp stand alone. Separate units have the advantages of not shared power supplies and the ability to resell whatever you upgrade.

May 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #5,013 of 20,386
Also is that paracord sleeving? where did you get that nice blue color 
font]

hehehe, from Papa smurf of course.  I will post more pics soon and will reveal more details.  What's paracord sleeving?

May 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #5,014 of 20,386
Hmmm personally I am not really convinced that it is worth upgrading DAC's very much.... Once you have one which sounds reasonably neutral and not harsh which has async USB. I do not really see any point in upgrading because the sound quality difference between them once at a certain level is not proportional to the prices and it is debatable whether people can even tell the differences between some high end DAC's in a blind test.

May 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #5,016 of 20,386
Quote:
Hmmm personally I am not really convinced that it is worth upgrading DAC's very much.... Once you have one which sounds reasonably neutral and not harsh which has async USB. I do not really see any point in upgrading because the sound quality difference between them once at a certain level is not proportional to the prices and it is debatable whether people can even tell the differences between some high end DAC's in a blind test.

An issue could be that the "certain level" you mention is not the same for all.
Your reasoning could perhaps apply equally to some high end (SS) amps - or anything high end by the way

May 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #5,019 of 20,386
Hey guys,

I am still using the stock cables for these and they are getting pretty annoying with the rubbing and twisting. any good cables anyone can recommend that can improve the sound quality as well? thanks

May 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #5,020 of 20,386
Don't expect improved sound quality. I am forking out 250$ on a cable equal to the Toxic Silver Poison (xlr terminated with some different pigtail adapters, though), and I don't expect anything but a very slight change in sound if I'm lucky. 

May 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #5,022 of 20,386
Replaced

factory cable with Norse "Reign 4" aesthetically beautiful very light weight, no microphonics and the Sound Quality superb as if a veil has been lifted. Reasonable price and excellent service from Trevor.

norseaudio@gmail.com

May 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #5,023 of 20,386
Quote:
Replaced

factory cable with Norse "Reign 4" aesthetically beautiful very light weight, no microphonics and the Sound Quality superb as if a veil has been lifted. Reasonable price and excellent service from Trevor.

norseaudio@gmail.com

So puuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back