HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #3,242 of 20,386
Do you mean lyr vs dv, both in stock, and the lyr will own dv?

I said mudiest of the three..didnt say they are  muddy in general..ofcourse u can better/change the sound of the lyr..and to be honest..i dont know which tubes were in thelyr i heard.but they were not standard...but as i stated before..the 337 with standard cheap!!! Tubes sounds worse then even a 200 dollar amp imho..if u really wanna compare..as i once said to u..try the337 with GOOD tubes..and then come back that the lyr (with any tube) soundsbetter then the 337 (or 339 ofcourse) .try the pair i use..tungsol 5998 (or chatham) with sj7gt mesh plates (or rca 5693 reds)..as long u didnt try the 337 with good tubes the 337 isnt worth to own..imho
but as i said..the 337 pairs perfect with the he500..but not so with lcd 2 rev 2 (didnt hear the lcd3) or he6 or totally horrible with hd800.
this is ofcourse all imho.
and...i loved how that shiit lyr sounded..and if i didnt stumbled upon this 337 i propably would have bought one..but i love the 337 more..and i was not only one at that meeting..but mine is not standard..it has almost 300usd worth of tubes in it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,244 of 20,386
Switched over to the velours for a few hours. Biggest issue I have with them so far is that they're so effing scratchy. Makes my skin itch like crazy. I have really sensitive skin though. May go back to plethers and just buy a new set of plethers so I can try the jergpad mod.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,245 of 20,386
Quote:
Do you mean lyr vs dv, both in stock, and the lyr will own dv?

I dont know where u get that idea..but..a 337 is a much better match with the he500..

And this..someone who buys a 337 will never keep it with standard tubes..and with the right tubes u will have to come up with amuch more expensive amp to counter that..the lyr is no match to the 337 when properly tubed..no matter what tube u put in it.

.i heard a lyr for more then an hour with mullard tubes and compared it to my 337 when it had svetlana power tubes and tungsol sj7gt mesh plates driver tubes on a meeting...even with those mediocre powertubes the lyr was no match..only on agressive deep bass the lyr won in spades...the 337 was by far the more balanced amp with my he500 and copper cables..

and now i have the tung sols 5998.. Thats a whole new ballgame compared to the svetlana i had..soundstage is huge, treble is velvet, bass is full and controlled, mids..wow..u have to hear adele on my rig..u will fall in love with her husky voice...i have some recordings on which u can hear on which part of the drums a man is drumming..its insane..i cant imagine something to be more alive and natural then this..ofcourse there is..am sure..but not for the price of this amp...for the he500 its one of those hidden gems..

and believe me..everyone..and i mean everyone..whether metalhead (within temptation,nightwish, xystus, evenascence), oldschool lover (queen, joe cocker, phil collins,pink floyd), rap fetishist (akon,eminem,) modern appreciater (adele, myriah carey, michael jackson, toni braxton, rihanna),special cases (sarah brightman, andrea bocelli, petra berger, enya, enigma, jeff wayne, vangelis), classic elders (Mozart serenades, tchaikovski 1812 overture) they all close their eyes or headbang their head..they love it....i myself even tried a very unique very very high quality 'audio stax space sound binaural'  test cd i found once..

trust me..when u start listening u dont wanna stop..i even found myself listening to songs that i normally dont like..but purely because i know it has high quality recordings and the musicians are magicians on their instrument i put them on and listen to their magic..never thought i would find such a good pairing amp for so little..

.i know that when i go up to the he6 i probably have to upgrade my amp also as it only pumps 2x1 rms watt out...but until then..bring it on.

.i hope to compare my amp to a mjolnir this month...also a top amp for the money..a complete different beast in every sense of the word.

.just this..if u think the 337 is a tubey sounding amp..well..ur wrong then..at a meeting a woo owner said he didnt like the sound of my amp as it didnt sound like an tube amp..as in slower, more romantic and warm..and not powerfull..compared to a ss amp.

well..guys and gals..consider the 337 as a tube amp with the better qualities of a tubey with the qualities u like in a ss amp..especially with the he500 it does wonders..

by the way..the hd800 doesnt pair well with the 337. This ofcourse imho.

But guys..this amp is a sleeper..its unknown..so therefore a bit unloved i guess..but its so good..check reviews on the net..one reviewer even stated that this amp is best pair he heard with the he500, together with the v200.
wink.gif
 For ur info..the sister of the 337 the 339 is also perfect for the he500..the other DV amps dont do so well though..with the he500

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #3,246 of 20,386
I am absolutely enthralled with the BH Crack and the T1's, I have been rolling 6SN7's all weekend. Now I have a  few power tubes to play with on Crack.

Most folks that think tubes are slow or veiled have not heard a properly matched tube system, or have never heard tubes are all and are either playing theorycratf or parroting what others have said. Sadly, this is a very common practice on this site on just about any topic.

Sometime this week I should receive a 339 with 5998's, really looking forward to that on the HE500's.

hifimanrookie, I wish you'd take the time to format and capitalize your typing. I say this not to be pedantic, but because I enjoyed it very much.

KP

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #3,247 of 20,386
Quote:
I am absolutely enthralled with the BH Crack and the T1's, I have been rolling 6SN7's all weekend. Now I have a  few power tubes to play with on Crack.

Most folks that think tubes are slow or veiled have not heard a properly matched tube system, or have never heard tubes are all and are either playing theorycratf or parroting what others have said. Sadly, this is a very common practice on this site on just about any topic.

Sometime this week I should receive a 339 with 5998's, really looking forward to that on the HE500's.

hifimanrookie, I wish you'd take the time to format and capitalize your typing. I say this not to be pedantic, but because I enjoyed it very much.

The t1 is a totally different headphone..and is easier to drive then planars...so tube amps will sound good easier then with more difficult to drive planars like the he500
.am curious what u will think of the 339 with 5998 powertubes..what drivertubes u will be using?

Andj thanks for the tip in ur last line..english is not my first language..not even my second..i will try to make some kind of chaptering..is that what u meant?

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #3,248 of 20,386
EF80, EF800, RCA red 5693. Also have a V200 which I drive from a Rogue 99 Magnum, AuricCaps, quad of 6sn7's (Sylvania chrome tops being my long time favorites in this preamp).

Source is Audio Note 3.1xB, Bendix 5852 rectifier (these are from the manned space program, which is kinda cool), my long time favorites there have been the various Siemens cca tubes (with the 1964 gold pin grey plates edging all others), but the Telefunkens were close.

I ran cca's or Tele's almost exclusively for  the last 5 years, but a few weeks ago I dropped in some GB Mullard pinched waist e88cc's I had in a cigar box. About as good as the more legendary Germans, in their own way.

KP

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #3,249 of 20,386
Quote:
EF80, EF800, RCA red 5693. Also have a V200 which I drive from a Rogue 99 Magnum, AuricCaps, quad of 6sn7's (Sylvania chrome tops being my long time favorites in this preamp).

Source is Audio Note 3.1xB, Bendix 5852 rectifier (these are from the manned space program, which is kinda cool), my long time favorites there have been the various Siemens cca tubes (with the 1964 gold pin grey plates edging all others), but the Telefunkens were close.

I ran cca's or Tele's almost exclusively for  the last 5 years, but a few weeks ago I dropped in some GB Mullard pinched waist e88cc's I had in a cigar box. About as good as the more legendary Germans, in their own way.

KP

Cool, u have a nice collection to play with!i loved the v200 also...strong amp..also drove the he6 well!

I tried the rca 5693 reds also..paired good with the 5998.. But like the mesh plates better..i tried the bendix 6080wb grahite plates (heavy buggers!!)..and they gave a very full sound..almost like the 5998..only a bit less detail...the last two gave the highest gain..perfect for harder to drive planars..like he500..gives a full powerfull sound..not so warm as a chatham or rca though..but its personal taste..

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3,253 of 20,386
Got my o2/dac combo today [custom built by B1o2r3i4s5] 

Yay! My project H unit came in today!
For everyone who's unfamiliar with it, a group of us over on the anime thread got together and designed an amp/DAC combo that has very good performance for the money. We used a CS8416/CS4398 DAC set, along with an O2 amp with OPA2134 opamps, along with a custom designed control board that distributes power, manages the gain, provides muting for power on/off noise, as well as allowing the ability for the DAC to be output straight to RCA connectors, and the O2 to receive signals from a likewise pair of RCAs on the back of the unit. All for less than $200 shipped in a case that I was able to model on CAD software, and then design all the holes that needed to be cut out and such. I also designed the lettering on the front and back of the unit.

Thanks for B1o2r3i4s5 for doing all of the actual building of the units and custom control board, and pretty much everything else!

I've got to say... I don't think I could ever listen to these unamped again. This is my friend amp/dac and my first headphone over the $200 price range and I've been sitting in awe for the past 6-8~ hours just marveling at how wonderful everything sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back