HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 17, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #15,826 of 20,386

As far as getting the AKG pads on the HE-500s, it's not difficult at all.  I just have an elaborate setup upon which I... elaborated 
wink.gif

All you need to do is attach the pads to the mounting rings.  That's a given, of course.  My preferred material for a lot of modding is carpet tape.  It's seriously sticky and strong.  Put strips of tape on the pads and stick the mounting rings on them.  After that, they mount like any other HFM pads.

The only caveat I can add is if you plan to do the back vent mod that is a last, optional step in the old jergpad mod, as documented by modulor.  If you never plan to do that, it doesn't really matter how you orient the mounting rings on the pads.  If you plan on doing that mod, or think you might, you'll want to align the rings such that the gap between any two of the tabs on the rings is at the back/tall part of the pads.  The reason to be so precise is that gap between tabs is where the foam strips go that create the vent.

See, even that isn't hard, just something of which one need be aware before attaching rings to pads.  I've done the back venting, but I prefer the better bass one gets with real adhesion of rings+pads to cups.  I think it pays to be precise when attaching the rings to the pads, as the venting option is left open, and it's not difficult.

HTH.

OK, I feel obligated to point out that one could also just tape the pads directly to the baffles in the cups, completely forgoing the mounting rings.  That, of course, is messy, and makes it harder to switch pads, but it is an option.

Oh, do not misunderstand. I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate. I definitely want to try this out. 

My problem is finding materials sometimes. I must have spent hours just trying to find parts for some of the easiest mods because stores that others referenced either didn't carry them or were far away. No dollar stores, for instance, had a trash bin that worked for the grill mod; I went to every one in Knoxville, including some that Google Maps forgot to delete because they went out of business. Just lots of wasted time. Walmart didn't have anything except for a pen holder with holes what were too small.

To get the Creatology, I had to research where to go, travel about 40 minutes one trip to a craft store.. In the end, I am very happy I did these mods but sometimes just finding the right materials for me can be an "adventure," as someone said, which is okay in the end (and is part of the fun). Finding all the materials took more time than actually performing the mods. lol.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #15,827 of 20,386
  Oh, do not misunderstand. I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate. I definitely want to try this out. 

My problem is finding materials sometimes. I must have spent hours just trying to find parts for some of the easiest mods because stores that others referenced either didn't carry them or were far away. No dollar stores, for instance, had a trash bin that worked for the grill mod; I went to every one in Knoxville, including some that Google Maps forgot to delete because they went out of business. Just lots of wasted time. Walmart didn't have anything except for a pen holder with holes what were too small.

To get the Creatology, I had to research where to go, travel about 40 minutes one trip to a craft store.. In the end, I am very happy I did these mods but sometimes just finding the right materials for me can be an "adventure," as someone said, which is okay in the end (and is part of the fun). Finding all the materials took more time than actually performing the mods. lol.

It's great to know people still do this.  Thankfully, not everyone is like me.  Unless I know something IS within 10 minutes of me, I buy it online (usually through Amazon).  
redface.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #15,828 of 20,386

Walmart usually has the carpet tape.  That's where I got it.  If they don't have it in stock, demand it 
wink.gif
  I assume you have a Walmart nearby.  Even out here in rural VA we just got one.  Failing that, Target, Home Despot, Lowes, or perhaps better than all those, a small local hardware store.  And yes, Amazon sells it, but shipping makes it a ripoff.  I didn't see any seller shipping it for free, though that could have changed.  By the time the pads arrive from China, you should be able to find the tape.  And scissors.  Gotta have scissors.  Teeth are not recommended 
wink.gif

Material-wise, this is about the simplest mod you can do.  Worst case scenario, if you don't like them on the HE-500s, you've got an extra pair for your Q701s.

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #15,830 of 20,386
Something that bothers me. 500s are Chinese product afterall. How long it will live under gentle treatment? Do we have happy owners from 2011?

My friend got them used back in 2012 and they still serve him well. They were probably one year old when he got them. He takes good care of his belongings and never had any issues with any of his hifimans (HE300/400/500).

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #15,831 of 20,386
  Yeah, they are not cheap, but they are made of some nice leather I guess. They were very popular on the M-Audio Q40 thread here; I instead settled for the HM5 pads. From what I have heard, I believe the HM5 pads may be sonically comparable to the Alpha Pads, but I lack experience with the latter. I use the HM5 velour myself on the Q40s.

Thanks!  I'd skipped over those for some reason.  And they're angled.  I'll keep them in mind when the urge to try something new strikes again.

I'm close to pulling trigger on Mad Dog Lamb pads - come on, talk me in to it:

1. Should breath better than pleather but probably not as well as velour
  2. Thinner than HM5 velour
  3. Already angled
  4. I'm "all about that bass" so thinner/leather should be plus over HM5 Velour
  5. Pretty sexy

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #15,832 of 20,386

3. Already angled
  5. Pretty sexy

If you're talking about talking these:
https://mrspeakers.com/product/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/

then by all means, pull the trigger.  All your points are valid.  Then report back to HQ (that'd be this thread :wink:

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #15,833 of 20,386
Something that bothers me. 500s are Chinese product afterall. How long it will live under gentle treatment? Do we have happy owners from 2011?

And how many products are not ultimately built in China or at least with Chinese produced components?  There are plenty of high-end Chinese companies producing very good gear and there are plenty of very dubious outfits.  The He-500's are built like a tank and I've had no issues with them other than I hated the stock cable. Mod friendly, rugged, scale well with modest to high end gear, sound great across genres ....

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #15,834 of 20,386
Glad to hear it.
All the doubts come from here http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE500

HifiMan's HE-5 was my introduction to orthodynamic headphones. It was a headphone which I had great reverence for until the fateful day when the left driver malfunctioned. When I returned the headphone, I was given a replacement pair. To my dismay, this replacement pair also experienced the same malfunction.

Hope it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
smily_headphones1.gif

except that review says, 500s are great cans

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #15,835 of 20,386

3. Already angled
  5. Pretty sexy

I see the stock listed for https://mrspeakers.com/product/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/ recently decreased from 799 to 798.  Looking forward to your review 
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #15,837 of 20,386

Stalker
tongue.gif

I'm looking at you right now... OK, just your profile.  OK, not really.

I have to keep that tab open, or I'll forget about those sumptuous pads.  I recalled the 799 number, as I thought, "That's a strange number.  Almost seems made up."  Maybe they use some cookies and code to subtract from the number available every time I look at the page in an attempt to induce a sale based on paranoia that they're selling like hot cakes.  Hey, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

I hope you paid for expedited shipping.  I'm very impatient 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back