Hifiman HE-5 Orthodynamic Headphones
Dec 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #181 of 294
I finally managed to build a cable for my HE-5s using the extra connectors included. I had to butcher the connectors, removing the small tube at the base end that only a tiny wire could pass through. I have two 3rd party cables: a DIY one using CryoParts OCCC which I was using with the HD-800s, and an APS v3 which I wasn't using, but I'd put HD-800 connectors on to use SE when I was trying out non-balanced amps. I did musical chairs with the cables as I wanted a touch more open top end in the HD-800s, as the Cryoparts cable is a little more on the "warm" side, which I figured would suit the HE-5s better. I switched the Furutech TRS on the APS v3 with a 4-pin XLR on the APS v3 and now have the Cryoparts copper on the HE-5s. Suffice to say, whatever wire the HE-5s come with stock is already great, as there was little difference, if any afterwards. So I burned my fingers for not much benefit (the HD-800s benefit I guess) but it's all good. I'm somewhere around 50 hours now, so if the slight sting at the top of the treble drops a tad after a few hundred hours I'll be happy, but so far other than that they are phenomenal-sounding. In the new year I'll take them around to the Elekit factory and try them with the TU-882R and report back. I may be able to try them with a Luxman P-1 if anyone is interested.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #183 of 294
I would like a pair of balance cables for the HE5. However I am hoping Fang will offer them in the first quarter of 2010, I would like a 10 foot long terminated in an AKG 4 prong plug. Oh and hopefully covered in super nylon.
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #184 of 294
Been thinking about joining this little club. So what's the current status of the HE5/EF5 combo, are they in stock and shipping? What's the wait been like for folks who've ordered lately?

What are the main threads on these? I've read (or at least skimmed
wink.gif
) the "initial musings" thread. Are there others I should look at? (Sometimes the search function in this forum is a bit weird, especially with short words like "ef5"...)

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #185 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been thinking about joining this little club. So what's the current status of the HE5/EF5 combo, are they in stock and shipping? What's the wait been like for folks who've ordered lately?

What are the main threads on these? I've read (or at least skimmed
wink.gif
) the "initial musings" thread. Are there others I should look at? (Sometimes the search function in this forum is a bit weird, especially with short words like "ef5"...)

Try searching on Google with the query:

site=head-fi.org "HE-5"

For example:

site:head-fi.org "HE-5" - Google Search

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #186 of 294
Thanks, good info on the searching. Ok, I've pulled the trigger on the HE5/EF5 combo, here's hoping for a rapid delivery, as I'm not a patient man, and very anxious to hear these...
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #187 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what's the current status of the HE5/EF5 combo, are they in stock and shipping? What's the wait been like for folks who've ordered lately?

X2

I ordered the HE-5 today (not enough money to for the combo though!) and I'd love to have them soon
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #188 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm somewhere around 50 hours now, so if the slight sting at the top of the treble drops a tad after a few hundred hours I'll be happy, but so far other than that they are phenomenal-sounding.

X2 on the HE-5s with the EF5 amplifier. Glad I'm not the only one reeling from the "sting" damn they're nice
confused_face.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #189 of 294
The treble does drop and IMO it takes a bit longer than posted by most. My combo is at about 400 hours but I have not listened to any change since about 300-325 hours. Most of the changes occurred under 200-250 hours. Good luck.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #190 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The treble does drop and IMO it takes a bit longer than posted by most. My combo is at about 400 hours but I have not listened to any change since about 300-325 hours. Most of the changes occurred under 200-250 hours. Good luck.

Given how they sound right now at 400 hours, how would you rate your HE-5 vs your previous headphones?

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #191 of 294
The EF5 and HE-5 are a spectacular combo together, although I really don't feel my source has good synergy with them as initially, I was listening to the pair with my iPod as a source and it actually sounded a lot more fun than my HT Omega.

Oh upgraditis, how your love--ahem, addiction, stings my soul!

Thanks again, Fang, for these wonderful pieces of audio equipment at such a great price.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #192 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

I ordered the HE-5 today (not enough money to for the combo though!) and I'd love to have them soon
smile.gif

PM'ed Nankai (is that Fang himself?) and was told that they're in stock, and shipping to USA takes 5-7 days.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #193 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given how they sound right now at 400 hours, how would you rate your HE-5 vs your previous headphones?

It is an amazing combo that rivals just about anything I have listen to for under $2,500. However it does not make other cans bad/wrong just different flavor.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #194 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is an amazing combo that rivals just about anything I have listen to for under $2,500. However it does not make other cans bad/wrong just different flavor.

This is almost what I have said before - paired with just a $99 uDAC for a $1000 rig, you have to spend $1300 on an SR404LE rig, $1900 on an HD800 rig or $2500 on a Stax O2 Mk1/717 rig to beat this.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #195 of 294
Just got mine today (Friday) - not bad at all considering I only ordered it on Monday! Time to celebrate and start enjoying these!
beerchug.gif

I assume the H/L switch on the top of the EF5 is a gain? There didn't seem to be any manual with it...
confused.gif
Not that a volume knob and on/off switch are all that hard to figure out
redface.gif
but still, the type-A side of me wants one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back