Hifiman HE-5 Orthodynamic Headphones
Oct 7, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henerenry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or just a recommendation on amps in general?

Are you recommending that we go solid state?

I'm guessing that OTL designed tube amps may be insufficient, depending on sensitivity.

I will recommend Head-Direct EF1: only $300, will beat most amps when driving HE-5

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Oct 7, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #19 of 294
This is cheaper than the (not yet confirmed on the website or via email to preivous customers) price of the LCD2. Nice!

EDIT: If it's not allowed to mention other brands in here, send me a message and I'll edit it out.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #21 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is cheaper than the (not yet confirmed on the website or via email to preivous customers) price of the nearest competitor. Nice!

Thank Fang's wife for that, I have a feeling it was her idea after RMAF.
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #22 of 294
The HE5's rated at 25 Ohms and 86db @ 1mw.

Fang, bottom line, do you think the HE5 can be driven by a speaker amp (Manley Stingray) with good results since many amps seem to struggle driving it?

Also, what's the max power input of the HE5?

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #23 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank Fang's wife for that, I have a feeling it was her idea after RMAF.
tongue.gif

I agree from my discussions with Fang and his wife. I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger as it sounded very good at the RMAF CanJam. I will be driving them with my Apache most likely even though they are initially set up as SE. I am trying to get Fang to create a balance cable for them.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #24 of 294
Ordered one last night! will try to use it with my Phonitor. Hope it works!

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 294
If anyone has received these headphones yet, can you please give a review. I'd like to know how they compare to other headphones.

I can't seem to find any reviews on these yet in any forums.

Thanks.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #29 of 294
i am no good at explaning how things sound wait for someone else to tell you but i do like them much more then my beyer dt880 600ohm and my neck is growing some muscle at the same time. want some pics ?

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #30 of 294
Ive got a demo unit of HE5 today, I will bring this one for our coming Tokyo headphone show.

The build quality is fairly nice, woods looks like solid. The plugs are detachable as seen in the picture.

I was told HE5 needs some burnt in, however HE5 sounded damn good even just out of box.
I first felt expansive spatial feeling and large sound staging. Overall sound is rich and I also felt a beautiful timbre.
Highs and bass are very sharp and quick, this is surely a planar characteristic. Violin and wood bass sounding exceptional. At the same time, this is not sibilant. This must be carefully developed, I was impressed.

I have been a bit occupied by photo trip over this weekend, so here is just a quick inpression and only one picture available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back