Hifiman HE-5 Orthodynamic Headphones
Oct 24, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #47 of 294

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Posts
5,369
Likes
149
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Just used the he-5's with some high-res Stone Temple Pilots and some high res (88-96 kHz) Stones material. As of now, they are trumping the 800's.


Not surprising....the HE-5s sound amazing with my EHHA. They are the best orthos i have heard..no doubt at all.

They have found a place in my collection for sure.
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #50 of 294

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Posts
19,073
Likes
29
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am experiencing some static in my left ear, it is reproducible, particularly with short, transient bass notes. Anyone else experienced this?


Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall experience is great, very great. But hard to get past annoying, intermittent single channel static/distortion.


I am very interested in getting a pair of this headphones but I am a bit concerned when I read there is "static/distortion". Anyone else experience the same? Sure look on feedback on this, thanks.
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #51 of 294

woodcans

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 1, 2004
Posts
2,215
Likes
524
I was nervous when I first heard it, but it has resolved as of now. Now that I think about it, I have heard this type of noise in the past with new tubes as they are settling in. Maybe that was it. I will update if this noise recurs.
 
Oct 25, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #52 of 294

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Posts
5,369
Likes
149
Been listening to them for about 5 hours today..The resolution in the mids and highs is nothing short of exemplary.

The only thing I find against the HE-5 is that my Wharfedale ID-1 is faster, more balanced across the frequency range and not really a slacker and a down right bargain for what I paid. The extra 5-10% that the HE-5 bring to the table is what costs so much, apart from the fact that it is a really well made and nice looking headphone.

I am yet to open mine up and damp them..that is if I can open them up. Been busy getting used to the sound signature and tonality of the HE-5s for now.
 
Oct 29, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #55 of 294

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,428
Likes
791
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of Stock Will be back to stock in late Nov.


Good job!!

If I didn't have headphones coming out of the wazzoo I would have ordered a pair by now.
biggrin.gif
 
Nov 3, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #58 of 294

cetoole

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Posts
1,271
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very interested in getting a pair of this headphones but I am a bit concerned when I read there is "static/distortion". Anyone else experience the same? Sure look on feedback on this, thanks.


Absolutely no static or distortion here. They are working great, and I have been using them very heavily for several weeks now. Definitely one of the best headphones I have heard, and not even the SR007mk1 I own really puts it to shame, though I still prefer that one a bit.
 
Nov 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #59 of 294

DannyBuoy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 15, 2008
Posts
244
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely no static or distortion here. They are working great, and I have been using them very heavily for several weeks now. Definitely one of the best headphones I have heard, and not even the SR007mk1 I own really puts it to shame, though I still prefer that one a bit.


What amp do you use them with?
Fang is saying a new EF5 will drive them and will be sold as combo in late Nov.
I need to find a USB/DAC now and with buying the ~$900 combo EF5/HE5 I don't have much left for DAC. Any suggestions on an adequate DAC for under $200?
 
Nov 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #60 of 294

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,428
Likes
791
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyBuoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp do you use them with?
Fang is saying a new EF5 will drive them and will be sold as combo in late Nov.
I need to find a USB/DAC now and with buying the ~$900 combo EF5/HE5 I don't have much left for DAC. Any suggestions on an adequate DAC for under $200?



Super Pro DAC707 $120 at ALOAudio.com - I bought mine from eBay from another vendor and it's pretty decent, and on par with most portable DAC/amp DAC's via USB, and even better via optical. With my sigma 11 PSU upgrade it seems on par with my Headroom Micro DAC for about $150 less, after the cost of the DAC and used sigma 11 PSU. It can also run from a 12v-24v source, like a 12v SLA or battery.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top