HiFiMan HE-400S Speaker Buzzing (3rd Warranty Claim)
Jan 15, 2018 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

VimDoozy

New Head-Fier
Greetings mates

The right ear speaker of my HiFiMan HE-400S makes a buzzing sound like an electric razor at lower frequencies when sufficient volume is pumped into it. No issue whatsoever for the left ear with the same input. It was like this immediately after receiving it back from repair for a separate issue.

I recorded the sound it makes, using my smartphone. This was using a sine tone generator. The buzzing occurs significantly around 150Hz. Squeezing against the outside of the right ear speaker can either augment or diminish the buzz.

I've taken the right ear apart and can see no hairs. I don't know what I'm looking for though, but nothing looks problematic to me.

I can send it back for repair/replacement, but this is the third time I will have to send it back. It costs about $60 AUD to post it each time and it takes weeks to get it back. I'm at that point now where it doesn't seem worth it, especially since it took HiFiMan two rounds to correct a channel imbalance, and now they've sent me a pair with a right speaker which sounds like a frenzied mosquito has taken up residence inside and he's not a fan of sub. Who knows what they'll send back next.

Thanks ladies and gents.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't blame you for being frustrated. It does begin to seem like it might not be worth the interminable back and forth, the delays and inconveniences, and more than anything, the uncertainty that HiFiMAN is even capable of fixing it. I have had the same frustrations with my HE-400S cable. It failed way before it should have but they won't cover it and a new cable is really spendy. Personally, were it me, I would likely throw in the towel and invest in something more reliable. Very disappointing. Sorry you are having such a hard time.

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the supportive words! It certainly is disappointing and frustrating. I've actually had issues with almost every item of music hardware I've purchased since taking up music production a year ago. Perhaps I just got a bit unlucky, or it's just part and parcel of this type of pursuit.

Thankfully, I've recently acquired Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros, and I'm extremely satisfied with them so far. I still might send the HE-400s back for service one last time, with the hopes that they finally resolve all issues. I can then sell the headphones and recoup a portion of the losses, rather than just giving the headphones the toss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back