Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #706 of 3,091
  One-sided magnet planars can clearly be world class. We know this because of the Abyss. Not sure what kind of engineering must be done for this to happen. But if the guys at JPS can figure something out, I'm sure our man Fang can too. He does have a Ph.D in material science (nano technology).

I hope the 560 sounds better than the Abyss at $899. That would be good... very good. Haha.

Yeah that'd be great :D
Just have some faith! #FangTheMan

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #707 of 3,091
Can we please not start a hashtag thing on the site? 
rolleyes.gif
Let's just say it as it is. Fang is the man.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #708 of 3,091
Can we please not start a hashtag thing on the site? :rolleyes: Let's just say it as it is. Fang is the man.

That was like the 2nd time I ever used it in my life... But as you wish xP

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #710 of 3,091
My friend went to CES, he said the most impressive thing he tried was the audioquest headphones, which compete with high end headphones in his mind (1000$+ competitive).

The second most impressive thing to him was, hence why I'm posting here, the HE560 (its weight in particular). He says it literally feels half the weight of his HE500's, which as far as he is concerned would make it forgettable while listening because it is very comfy.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #712 of 3,091
My friend went to CES, he said the most impressive thing he tried was the audioquest headphones, which compete with high end headphones in his mind (1000$+ competitive).

The second most impressive thing to him was, hence why I'm posting here, the HE560 (its weight in particular). He says it literally feels half the weight of his HE500's, which as far as he is concerned would make it forgettable while listening because it is very comfy.

I have absolutely no doubt that the weight combined with that suspension headband would make it super comfy.

How about the sound though?

I just bought an HE-500 over the holidays. I can still return it... I'm happy with the comfort and weight; but what really concerns me is the sound quality. Decisions decisions...

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #713 of 3,091

So he liked the audiioquest better than the 560? Do you have a link to them?

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #714 of 3,091
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #716 of 3,091
^ Loving this thread! Like watching a pack of hungry wolves!
popcorn.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #717 of 3,091
Also, there's a guy in the HE-400 impressions thread, with more pics, that is saying the HE-400i and HE-560 didn't sound like a huge upgrade from the HE-400 and HE-500. He didn't sound terribly impressed. And he was also told the headband is not staying they way they showed it at CES.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/16020

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #718 of 3,091
  Also, there's a guy in the HE-400 impressions thread, with more pics, that is saying the HE-400i and HE-560 didn't sound like a huge upgrade from the HE-400 and HE-500. He didn't sound terribly impressed. And he was also told the headband is not staying they way they showed it at CES.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/16020

He also criticizes himself further into his post about spending many nights in night clubs and not remembering well... lol

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #719 of 3,091
True, but even if I'd be partying all the time, I'd still be able to get a general feel if a headphone was just a little better, or leaps better than a previous model. What I find bothersome though is what Fang told him about the headband changing for the full production models. Hopefully it doesn't stray from the CES version too much...I dig the headband now that I've seen it from different angles

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #720 of 3,091

Knowing that the new models are completely redesigned (from dual-sided magnet to 'advanced' single-sided), I find it hard to believe that there was no significant change in sound. Either bad or good there should be a noticeable change in SQ from the previous models instead of just staying almost the same. I find it odd for the sound to almost not change at all when there is a complete redesign done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back