Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #137 of 3,091
  almost bought an HE500! good thing i saw this. not sure if i can wait a few months after march where reviews should be up.

also... i think these are ugly. well... i thought the he500 was ugly too until i got to see it in person. 

did hifiman say explicitly that these new cans wont replace the older ones? also curious to see what changed in the driver and where all that weight went (is it just the headband that makes the new ones lighter?).

No way just a headband could remove that much weight. The headphones must have single sided magnets.

I still laugh every now and then at the fact that HiFiMaN said Jerg's name as "Jorg" hahaha

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #138 of 3,091
I would say without the metal arm yoke probably helps with the weight reduction. 

as for cables, I rather have the HE500 cables over the HE400 cables.  The HE400 cables are thick and bulky plus add the 10 feet length too it too, it's like fighting with a snake.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #139 of 3,091
I'm really glad they're bringing back the old wood look and I really like the new headbands, not to mention the lighter weight is welcome.  I was already looking at the HE-500 so this really catches my attention.  I do hope there is some type of pre-order discount like there was on the EF-6 since it does act essentially as a giant group buy *hint hint* 
wink_face.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #140 of 3,091
  You all know that they shoot the new picture with an angle that don't let you see the weird shape of it, right?

While I like the wood cup of the 560, I don't like the look of the head-band much.. Looks like the Abyss in some ways... 

After the new pic, I go back and look at the first pic...and well....the first pic does not look nearly as stupid as it did before I saw the 2nd pic.

I can clearly see, what they did with the head band and, I may be in the minority, but it looks like it could be really comfy to me.

The side of the headband looks pretty darn cool to me, for some reason.

Of course what do I know, my RS1i headband is comfy to me 
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #141 of 3,091

No way just a headband could remove that much weight. The headphones must have single sided magnets.

If you check out the weight chart, they are literally lighter. I'm sure the headband design decreases the perceived weight as well. 

Quote:
  I would say without the metal arm yoke probably helps with the weight reduction. 

Yup, and possibly lighter cups.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #142 of 3,091

After the new pic, I go back and look at the first pic...and well....the first pic does not look nearly as stupid as it did before I saw the 2nd pic.

I can clearly see, what they did with the head band and, I may be in the minority, but it looks like it could be really comfy to me.

I have no doubt they feature the utmost comfort. It just probably won't look too attractive on anyone's head 
tongue.gif

duggehsmile.png

Of course what do I know, my RS1i headband is comfy to me  
tongue.gif

Grado headbands never bothered me either, for some reason.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #143 of 3,091
This thing is going to be pretty comfy. Probably the most comfortable planar magnetic headphone yet. Given the massive weight decrease and the suspencion headbhand style to evenly distribute the weight. Now only if the sonics were also incredible that would be amazing.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #144 of 3,091
Know what would be cool? The ability to slide the connectors forward or back, depending on your preference. Like, have a slider with light notches to be able to adjust to the situation. If you need it to stay away from your shoulders you slide it forward, if you dont want it to stick out then you slide it back to the straight down position. Just a thought that popped into my mind somehow...idk

Edit: Also, would be nice if we could exchange the HE-500 frame for the HE-560 frame to keep the sonics of the HE-500 but have the comfort of these new models :)

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #145 of 3,091
  This thing is going to be pretty comfy. Probably the most comfortable planar magnetic headphone yet. Given the massive weight decrease and the suspencion headbhand style to evenly distribute the weight. Now only if the sonics were also incredible that would be amazing.

If they sound like the HE-500, they'd be amazing already 
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #146 of 3,091

It's the most airy of them all. I don't know if one can call them "Electrostat-like" - I never heard a stat - but airy is generally associated with the stats sound.
If they made a more efficient / more refined version of the HE-4, I'm all in!

...and there it is,exactly what I was thinking.

subscribed to know what these will sound like.

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #147 of 3,091
  Fang!
Please don't throw the HE-500 off the market :p
Really though, I wonder how these compare in actual SQ rather than things like "transparency and soundstage and comfort" because those are the least of my concerns right now in a
headphone

+1 The HE-500 is already a classic - look at HD650 - still going strong after all these years, selling in spades. And look at how tragic Denon's choice of discontinuing the DX000 was. 

HE500 is one of the best out there =)

The only imporvement the HE-500 could need is a slightly tighter heaband and a softer, less flimsy cable. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #149 of 3,091

+1 The HE-500 is already a classic - look at HD650 - still going strong after all these years, selling in spades. And look at how tragic Denon's choice of discontinuing the DX000 was. 

HE500 is one of the best out there =)

The only imporvement the HE-500 could need is a slightly tighter heaband and a softer, less flimsy cable. 

Given Hifiman's history. The HE-500 won't be discontinued right away. It will coexist with the new headphones for a time (maybe a year or more) and if the sales drop it will be discontinued. I guess it all depends on how much better the HE-560 sounds. If people keep saying that $200 more for the 560 is a no brainer, then it might be doom for the 500. If not and it's more of a side grade then the 500 will be with us for a while longer.

Either way I'm supa exited. Even if it's a side grade I'll still check them out to see if it can be added to the collection. Never had a Hifiman woody before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back