Hifiman he-400
Aug 12, 2012 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SoftE

New Head-Fier
I have quite an interest in this can (being Hifiman he-400) could anyone WITH EXPERIENCE WITH THIS HEADPHONE please answer a few questions. I also would like to only know about revision 2 drivers. How is the soundstage in these things? Is the treble end of the spectrum detailed and displayed with clarity? Are the mids not drowned out by the so called monster bass? And is there monster bass like some have claimed or is it just punchy? And how versatile is this phone in your opinion? Thanks in advanced guys :)

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 15
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 15
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
The HE400 has a great quality and quantity of bass, but its not a basshead can. Its a can for those in between bass and balance. Bassheads won't be wowed by the quantity, but its certainly not lacking in bass. I'd say that those that appreciate good bass will be quite happy with the amount. BASS PRESENCE: If the Q701 is a 6.5, DT880 is a 7, the HE400 is an 8, the DT990 is a 9, and Pro 900 is a 10. However, the HE400 goes very low, where the rest roll off.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 15
I've got the HE400 rev 2 and I wouldn't call it a monster bass at all... It has a decent bass level but far from over powering. 
The treble and mid range level detail is good.... I've been doing a/b samples of the He400 with my new Audeze LCD2's and I actually prefer the sound stage of the HE400..... The Audeze are clearer, more detailed throughout the full spectrum, better on technicalities.... but listening to different genres.... smashing pumpkins, Gorillaz, Creedence Clearwater, Otis Redding, Muse, Rise Against.... I honestly think the HE400's offer a warmer, richer more "live" presentation..... with Smashing Pumpkins CD "ripped to FLAC" it was night and day.... the Audeze provided all the minutia level details and were very very good, but the HE400 felts more full bodied and the sound stage felt more real/ live.

If the Audeze seemed like listening through detail oriented monitors at the recording studio, the HE400's felt like listening to them at a live performance.

My Ultrasone Pro900's.... now those provide an overwhelming bass..... super fun.... but of the three I honestly see the HE400 as my best all rounder.... I hope I don't get descended upon by the audiophile community for suggesting I prefer the entry level Hifiman over the $1k flagship planar from Audeze but from a "enjoying music" perspective.... The HE400's are my most versatile and my goto.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
I've got the HE400 rev 2 and I wouldn't call it a monster bass at all... It has a decent bass level but far from over powering. 
The treble and mid range level detail is good.... I've been doing a/b samples of the He400 with my new Audeze LCD2's and I actually prefer the sound stage of the HE400..... The Audeze are clearer, more detailed throughout the full spectrum, better on technicalities.... but listening to different genres.... smashing pumpkins, Gorillaz, Creedence Clearwater, Otis Redding, Muse, Rise Against.... I honestly think the HE400's offer a warmer, richer more "live" presentation..... with Smashing Pumpkins CD "ripped to FLAC" it was night and day.... the Audeze provided all the minutia level details and were very very good, but the HE400 felts more full bodied and the sound stage felt more real/ live.

If the Audeze seemed like listening through detail oriented monitors at the recording studio, the HE400's felt like listening to them at a live performance.

My Ultrasone Pro900's.... now those provide an overwhelming bass..... super fun.... but of the three I honestly see the HE400 as my best all rounder.... I hope I don't get descended upon by the audiophile community for suggesting I prefer the entry level Hifiman over the $1k flagship planar from Audeze but from a "enjoying music" perspective.... The HE400's are my most versatile and my goto.

I actually have the same taste....HE-400 and Pro 900 ... are the phones that I want to keep...!

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 15
I had that combo, and I couldn't see myself using the Pro 900s once I got the HE400 and compared them. It was an absolute blowout.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 15
Treble is pretty good for my tastes... Bass and mids are much more impressive however and I find the mids to be a bit smoothened with velour pads. I am very happy with my purchase so far and like many users say, I'm on a honeymoon with my he400s

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Thankyou all *cracks piggy bank* that its exactly what I wanted to hear and know
smily_headphones1.gif
much more confident in buying them
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to the club, you've made a great decision! Take fortitudes advice and get the velour pads, they're much better sounding than the pleather pads.  More comfortable too!

One thing about the soundstage is that it's a characteristic of orthos, it seems to not have as much of a "center stage image" so much as "3d sound" or "sound in the round."  many headphones have this staging, but orthos (I've heard it said, compared to some angled-driver cans that even the $1000+ orthos have this) tend to stage things in a circle around your head moreso than a center facing image.   At first it can be a bit disconcerting, but it actually becomes kind of cool.   IN a live venue you're usually hearing sounds whipping around from behind anyway depending on the design of the venue, so it can be a very live sound.  The instrument staging may be more spread out than a stage would present but the separation of instruments with each having its own location is spectacular.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 15
yes velours are a definite :D love the feel of them xD hate pleather makes me sweat haha, but yeah that sounds like the sort of sound stage i was thinking of wanting :) I for some reason i just don't like the whole stereo dual speaker soundstage center stage effect. feels like weird (if that works). but thanks all :)

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #14 of 15
I agree different sound stage not as large as k702 but sound comes from everywhere .
Good for all music has a lot of sparkle
Bass is great but not overpowering like Beats
So far really enjoying them using velour more comfort but do not see major sound difference

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #15 of 15
The 400's are my first dip into the Ortho world.  I'm impressed,  tried them via a Mac Air with McCartney's Ram 24/96 FLAC & a Bellari 540 Headphone amp.  The sound was expansive was leaps and bounds better than my old Sennheiser 595.  I am still trying to decide if a DAC could or would improve the sound.  Any suggestions that don't cost more than the 400's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back