HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 21, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #631 of 903
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hamster.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #632 of 903

Quote:
Mine worked perfectly for the first day or so. Then the left channel cut out (or rather the volume out was only about 10% of the right output). I fixed it by taking the whole thing apart and tightening the screws. There are actually two layers of screws. The outer black screws fix a plastic ring to the inner driver piece. For me it was the inner layer that had fairly loose screws. Anyway, this is what I did:

1. Take off earpads.
2. Unscrew all the black screws and remove the black plastic ring.
2. Take off the back grille (steps by Nankai here)
3. The driver part should now be accessible. There are 7 silver screws with tightening nuts that are compressing the driver together. Tighten these (especially around where the wires come out). I used a small wrench to make sure the nut didn't move, then used a screwdriver to tighten it.
4. Put it back together again (reverse of above steps). Make sure to align everything properly before screwing it all back together again. I found that it was easier to mate the black plastic ring with the driver piece and screw those together first before finally screwing it into the metal enclosure.
5. Enjoy!

You might find it prudent to tighten both sides. After fixing the left side, the right side started acting up. Anyway, now there isn't any channel imbalance that I can detect & everything sounds great! Hope you guys find this guide useful - these headphones definitely deserve to be listened to!

Very informative! I may do all that even if they end up not experiencing any problems, just to be safe. Thanks zeppa, hope you'll give us an impression or two after you're done lol~

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #634 of 903
Received my set today. No driver, cable or other quality control issues. Ive gotta live with them for a few days, but so far initial impressions are good. Nothing sounds wrong, or sticks out. Songs that have bass though, wow do these things hit hard :) me like!!! Soundstage is pretty good too, to be honest im far more impressed by them than i was by the lcd2. Maybe because my expectations werent very high this time around. 

Setup is ALAC>ipad>DACmini> hd800 and he400

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #635 of 903
Ok people i received my headset.. Yeah Yeah
gs1000.gif

Did not expect it until maybe  next week but yup i have it.

The customer service rep whom I was thinking was goning to be of no help whatsoever actually made this possible after she email the service manager in Hk..

Thanks to the rep in new york i have my  set but i also followed up to where  the NY rep sent her email with a few of my own just to see where my limbo package was.

Oh well, Yada Yada Yada  whatever i have the set now so.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #636 of 903
Issues also!!..        User error!!!

I did not tighten the little golden nuts on the cable to headset tight enough even though i thought they were.

Turning my head while someone was calling me from  behind revealed that the channel cut out? What!

weird to figure out sat very still moved only the part of cable where it splits from one whole cable into it's two respective parts for the cups.

That was not it. Taping gentle on the bottom outside of grill while listening to music pointed to something being loose at the cup or inside.

Yeah only a loose connector caused by yours truly!

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #637 of 903
Ok we get it you're unhappy. Lots of people are. Lots of people are trying to be constructive and troubleshoot the issue, you've made your decision to send them back. Maybe just let it go now? 

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hamster.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #638 of 903

Quote:
Received my set today. No driver, cable or other quality control issues. Ive gotta live with them for a few days, but so far initial impressions are good. Nothing sounds wrong, or sticks out. Songs that have bass though, wow do these things hit hard :) me like!!! Soundstage is pretty good too, to be honest im far more impressed by them than i was by the lcd2. Maybe because my expectations werent very high this time around. 

Setup is ALAC>ipad>DACmini> hd800 and he400

Thanks for the impressions mgurvits! If you don't mind, would be awesome if you could give some a/b impressions, however short/lengthy, between the hd800 and he400. I've briefly listened to both already but not in a side-by-side manner in a quiet, controlled setting. Also soundstage is a pretty big priority for me, how do they compare to your HD800's soundstage? And do you get that listening-to-speakers/out-of-head kinda experience? Thanks in advance!

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #639 of 903
Yeah mine came working fine, put it in the drawer and taking them out the next day for a second listen and getting the left imbalance, not complaining, but I do like these headphones, they are like the kind that grows on you :) In that sense, I'll check out the next move to get these resolved.

Quote:
Well there went my left channel again.  Adjusting the screws no longer seems to help, and the two wires inside the ear cups appear to be A-OK.  There are a few tiny breaks in their shielding, but they're not near anything conductive.  Well, they worked just long enough for me to figure out that I like them.  

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #640 of 903
According to parcel tracking my HE-400 should be delivered on Monday. I just hope that they don't have the aforementioned channel imbalance or any loose bits inside the ear cups, as I'm not keen on doing quality control for a company even if the cans were purchased at a $50 discount. 

confused_face.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #642 of 903

Quote:
Mine worked perfectly for the first day or so. Then the left channel cut out (or rather the volume out was only about 10% of the right output). I fixed it by taking the whole thing apart and tightening the screws. There are actually two layers of screws. The outer black screws fix a plastic ring to the inner driver piece. For me it was the inner layer that had fairly loose screws. Anyway, this is what I did:

1. Take off earpads.
2. Unscrew all the black screws and remove the black plastic ring.
2. Take off the back grille (steps by Nankai here)
3. The driver part should now be accessible. There are 7 silver screws with tightening nuts that are compressing the driver together. Tighten these (especially around where the wires come out). I used a small wrench to make sure the nut didn't move, then used a screwdriver to tighten it.
4. Put it back together again (reverse of above steps). Make sure to align everything properly before screwing it all back together again. I found that it was easier to mate the black plastic ring with the driver piece and screw those together first before finally screwing it into the metal enclosure.
5. Enjoy!

You might find it prudent to tighten both sides. After fixing the left side, the right side started acting up. Anyway, now there isn't any channel imbalance that I can detect & everything sounds great! Hope you guys find this guide useful - these headphones definitely deserve to be listened to!

Thank you a million times. This fixed it immediately, the screws were fairly loose indeed.
You have my eternal gratitude :wink:
U.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #643 of 903

I've been living with the HD800 for about a month now, and my ears have started to take their precision and airyness for granted. But A/B really shows how much like "real life" they really sound. The only thing I would want better (and probably other HD800 owners as well) would be bass impact. Bass extension is amazing, but it doesn't punch the same way as the HE400.

Out of the box, to my ears, the HE400 sound like there isn't really anything I want different. I did not have that experience with the HD650, DT880, or Pro900. There were a couple of moments where I thought I was hearing sounds in my room, when in fact they were a part of the song. Made me jump a couple of times, cause it was pretty late at night. Soundstage is definitely there. 

The thing that I'm enjoying the most is the bass impact. They don't sound dark or veiled, I don't hear the bass leaking into the mids at all (that was one of the issues I had with the PRO900), but when the bass hits, its a physical sensation as well as a sonic one, which is pretty awesome. If you take them off, and turn up the volume nob, they perform like little speakers, and you can feel them displace air when the bass hits. I'm going to keep saying "when the bass hits" because I've missed this sensation 
L3000.gif

In fact, they sounded perfect until I put the HD800 back on and saw what my ears were missing. The HE400 sound like headphones, where as the HD800 to my ears sound more like real life/speakers (they only headphone so far that I've had that experience with). But I wasn't expecting $350 phones to sounds better than $1500 ones. I don't think I'll be selling the HD800, even though the HE400 show me the bass impact I've been missing, especially on bass heavy electronic stuff. Though they perform great with other songs as well.

I really like them, hopefully the QC bugs don't surface.  
Quote:
Thanks for the impressions mgurvits! If you don't mind, would be awesome if you could give some a/b impressions, however short/lengthy, between the hd800 and he400. I've briefly listened to both already but not in a side-by-side manner in a quiet, controlled setting. Also soundstage is a pretty big priority for me, how do they compare to your HD800's soundstage? And do you get that listening-to-speakers/out-of-head kinda experience? Thanks in advance!

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #644 of 903
Got mine yesterday,

No issues, very happy with them.

Haven't been able to sit down and compare to other headphones yet.

I will say they need a decent amount of power to do there best.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #645 of 903
The Fab DIy´s HE-400..

Thank you guys for the effort to trying to fix this..Have gone thru all here, but still no sound..I really want this to work but it seems returning them is the only soulution.

Someone knows how this work?

I live in Scandinavia..Norway.

This is so…frustrating!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back