HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #586 of 903

Quote:
Hi,  I tried that fix and still no luck.  The drop seems to be somewhat random but could be during parts of songs with more bass.  I suspect the greater shaking of the driver is revealing a bad solder joint. Mine is having that problem with both channels. I am making a sound file with different frequencies to see if there is a particular frequency that is causing it to cut out.  I hope I can get to it before I leave town in the morning.

Did you ever try different amp and cable? 

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #587 of 903

Quote:
Mine are not touching each other and have a tiny bit of "insulation" (one tiny black/one clear plastic tubing) close to the solder points.    The top wire was pushed extremely close to the conductor, so I have repositioned it.  We'll see.  BTW, no foam as in the HE-500 pics.  Based on the pics, the HE-500 looks more sorted out and less rough in construction.

Strange. In my case I saw a bit of black insulation (and a small lump under it) only in the middle of one wire. None at the ends.
My previous experience of high quality audio equipment that was made in China was much better. Got a pair of Dynaudio studio monitors and the quality was top notch.
I guess, Hifiman need to revise their QC procedures. Nobody wants to own a pair of headphones that cost a fortune, but looks like five dollar junk once you examine their details or open them.
Nevertheless I am very pleased with the sound. I was blown away by their soundstage and smooth base... on the other hand highs seem a bit forced. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #588 of 903
I actually did some work on the QC part as soon as I moved back to China. Two month ago we got a new QC manager in our electronics factory in Shanghai area making players and amplifiers. Hope to improve this in 2012. We are trying to get a QC manager in our headphone factory (in Shenzhen area) as soon as the new year long holiday finished. Need more time to grow.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #589 of 903

Quote:
Strange. In my case I saw a bit of black insulation (and a small lump under it) only in the middle of one wire. None at the ends.
My previous experience of high quality audio equipment that was made in China was much better. Got a pair of Dynaudio studio monitors and the quality was top notch.
I guess, Hifiman need to revise their QC procedures. Nobody wants to own a pair of headphones that cost a fortune, but looks like five dollar junk once you examine their details or open them.
Nevertheless I am very pleased with the sound. I was blown away by their soundstage and smooth base... on the other hand highs seem a bit forced. 

Mine also had a small second piece of black tubing roughly at the "bend" of the top wire  -- no lump underneath though.  90-someting percent of the wire is fully exposed , so I am not sure what function a dab of tubing serves. Since I have three tiny pieces of tubing, mine must be the "deluxe" version.  Would it have killed these guys to use small runs of insulated wire?  How much would that eat into their profit?

These are definitely better viewed from the outside compared to other phones I own.  Very raw -- very rough.  I will listen again over the weekend and hope for the best, maybe the exposed top wire was occasionally touching the conductor in my case.  The possible "fixes" are all over the place, so I doubt there is any single specific issue with the build quality.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #590 of 903
Actually I like how the cans look from a distance. They look strong and professional like they are really serious about their sound. 
cool.gif

Its funny. This all reminded me of my first ever electric guitar. It looks awesome from outside. Then I decided to check out their soldering work and it was so nightmarish, that I still have no clue how it manages work 
etysmile.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #591 of 903

Quote:
Actually I like how the cans look from a distance. They look strong and professional like they are really serious about their sound. 
cool.gif

Its funny. This all reminded me of my first ever electric guitar. It looks awesome from outside. Then I decided to check out their soldering work and it was so nightmarish, that I still have no clue how it manages work 
etysmile.gif

Ditto.  And they manage to sound good.  It is just like certain restaurants I really like -- enjoy the food but do not dare to ever set foot into the kitchen. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #592 of 903
I tried the trick with mine but my wires aren't touching.  

left                                                                                                                                                                    right

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #593 of 903
Different amp, yes but I do not have another cable.  And just to be sure it wasn't the adapter, I plugged directly into my Yamaha receiver and had the same results.  Mind you the cut out would happen about every 2-3 minutes.  I also tried to not move at all and had the cable very stable so I am pretty confident it is not the cable (at least from moving it).

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #595 of 903
Just the same here! Right side stopped working..Frustrating. All said: The sound BEFORE this happend (the worked for three hours) was so promissing that if HIFIman send a new one i would keep seeking NIRVANA. But they need to act fast! Many fishes out there!

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #596 of 903
Nankai:  Can you comment on the sound difference between these and the other HiFiman offerings?  And which of these headphones would work being driven by a Cary SLP-88 preamp/headphone amp?  Keep up the great work!!!

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #598 of 903

Quote:
So they works fine at the beginning, and will not make any sound in 2-5 min? 

Yes.  works for about 5 min. then I lose all sound in the left channel only.  Same scenario for all the cables I've tried.  When I unscrew the left cable and then screw it back on, sometimes it work work again for about 2 min. and sometimes it won't work at all unless I unplug it from the dap and unscrew and screw it back on again.  At most, it plays for about 5 min before I lose sound.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #599 of 903

Quote:
Yes.  works for about 5 min. then I lose all sound in the left channel only.  Same scenario for all the cables I've tried.  When I unscrew the left cable and then screw it back on, sometimes it work work again for about 2 min. and sometimes it won't work at all unless I unplug it from the dap and unscrew and screw it back on again.  At most, it plays for about 5 min before I lose sound.

I have called our engineer and waked up him from sleeping (holiday weekend morning at 8AM). We are working on the solution for your problem right now. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #600 of 903

Quote:
I have called our engineer and waked up him from sleeping (holiday weekend morning at 8AM). We are working on the solution for your problem right now. 

Ah man, please enjoy your holiday.  I am patient and positive you will take care of us all.  Thank you for keeping tabs on the thread and your concern.  I really do enjoy the sound for the first 5 minutes anyway.  : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back