HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #406 of 903

Quote:
Why we need to know that?

Are you part of the pre-order elektrosteve ?

I am, and I'm glad others are letting us know what they're finding out, since HiFiMan isn't letting us know anything directly.

Most of us are giving Fang the benefit of the doubt, by not canceling right away. However, this is sounding like a company that took our pre-order money, promising shipping this week while fully knowing that they couldn't fill the orders before Chinese New Year.

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #407 of 903
We did not aware about there are more than xxx people ordered HE-400 in 48 hrs before the end of preorder. This is amazing. We apologize that we did not expect that high volume, and we will try to prepare more volume next time. 

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #409 of 903
I am still at a loss for words as to the responses people make.
Fang made multiple responses talking about the large volume of orders.
If the pre order run was for 100 models and 300 people order, then of course its going to take time to make more.
That is the point of a pre order.
Plus isn't saving 50 worth waiting a month and paying 400.
If I had 350 right now I would have plopped it down immediately.
That's an extra 50 I can put towards an amp.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #410 of 903
Originally Posted by elektrosteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are some really winy people here.

Want some cheese with that wine steve?

Looks like you'll get yours. Enjoy. 
L3000.gif

Fang emailed me that I won't be getting mine anytime soon, so I'm canceling my pre-order.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #412 of 903
I am still at a loss for words as to the responses people make.
Fang made multiple responses talking about the large volume of orders.
If the pre order run was for 100 models and 300 people order, then of course its going to take time to make more.
That is the point of a pre order.
Plus isn't saving 50 worth waiting a month and paying 400.
If I had 350 right now I would have plopped it down immediately.
That's an extra 50 I can put towards an amp.

This, i think most of the problems here could be solved if Fang put a limit on the number of headphones for the pre-order period next time around. A bigger customer support team would be nice too. I have a feeling that Hifiman grew a lot faster than he may have expected, what was it 1-2 years ago that he introduced the HE-5?

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #413 of 903
Honestly I waited till the last moment to preorder and I am glad they extended the discount to me even well after their pre order batch ran out.  I mean if you want to be picky, after initial batch of preorder is filled then it just becomes regular order.  

Totally makes sense for people to want what they've bought to arrive on time and get response to their inquiry in timely manner.  But hick ups do come up in intercontinental commerce especially for small vendor.

I also feel like some things are getting lost in the translation.  If you've seen the recent CES video interview and the posts here, although his English is by no means bad, it is a bit lacking.  That and cultural differences we have definitely don't help when tempers flair. 

Lets just keep our prides in check and with a lot of patience and good will everyone can walk away happy.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #414 of 903
In more positive news, ours just arrived. Excuse the disaster of my desk.

Early impressions: very, very nice for the price! Not as smiley-faced as DT-990s. Not nearly as bassy as LCD-2 R1s. We'll see what happens as they run in, but first impassions are positive.

And yes, no hard box--the photo of the display box from CES is accurate. 1/4" plug on the cable, FWIW.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #416 of 903
For the people that have tried this at CES, how does the clarity compare to the AKG 701's?
I was pretty set on the 701's before I saw this announced and decided to take the plunge.
I enjoy the clarity in music and the liveliness of the mids- especially female vocals.
I was wondering how it compares in that category.
I know it is heavy on bass, and I am not too fond of bass heavy headphones.... but as long as they are punchy i'm ok with it.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #417 of 903

Quote:
In more positive news, ours just arrived. Excuse the disaster of my desk.

Early impressions: very, very nice for the price! Not as smiley-faced as DT-990s. Not nearly as bassy as LCD-2 R1s. We'll see what happens as they run in, but first impassions are positive.

And yes, no hard box--the photo of the display box from CES is accurate. 1/4" plug on the cable, FWIW.

WHAAT, this early? Me jelly.

The biggest question a lot of us have is, does it actually carry a very dark sound signature, as Headfonia claims?

Also the 1/4'' plug is a bit of a surprise...I was hoping it'd be 3.5mm since the marketing was claiming that it is great for amplified portable use.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #419 of 903

Quote:
Well, the cord is replaceable. You could get a cord with an 1/8" termination, but it'll be a bit of an extra cost.

Could you link me to where I could order 3.5mm termination cabling compatible with these cans? Thanks!

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #420 of 903

Quote:
Honestly I waited till the last moment to preorder and I am glad they extended the discount to me even well after their pre order batch ran out.  I mean if you want to be picky, after initial batch of preorder is filled then it just becomes regular order.  

Picky?
If the pre-orders were "sold out" then it was incumbent on head-direct to advise at the time and not to expect free use of our money for one month, especially when based on that promise of a ship date that for whatever reasons turned out to be false.
If I had missed the pre-order I would have waited until the headphones were in stock at some local source (as I've done with the HE-4, 5LE and HE 500 all of which I intend to keep) and enjoyed the use of my own money.
I am willing to accept Fang's more conciliatory tone. This was a grave business error and exhibits some poor business planning. I've done business in Hong Kong, this time of year is something that is planned for. His planning misfired but in a positive way for him. He oversold and neglected to put a cap on the over sales. When airlines do it they give you a bump on the next flight. He's offered to refund the money fronted to him. I'm content with that. But it does not mean I give up my rights to be treated honestly and fairly. When the deal changes it's incumbent on the person breaking the deal to compensate and make the injured party whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back