HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 12, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #271 of 903

Quote:
Appriciate the impressions Kilosonic.
I am actually thinking about ordering a pair, even though I have never heard a planar magnetic headphone before. I like the "send it back" guarantee but I live in Sweden so I guess it would still cost me some money... I study so every $ counts:) Now one thing that bothers me besides not knowing if they are worth the money soundwise is the weight.

So to those who have tried the HE-400 or any other hifiman headphone, how do they feel in your opinion? Does it feel very heavy and big compared to more normal headphones?

From what I can tell the HE-400 is 440 grams or 14.5 Oz which is lighter than the Audeze LCD-2 at 550 grams which is quite heavy when I tried the LCD-2 at RMAF and you can not dance wth the LCD-2 on.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #272 of 903

Quote:
From what I can tell the HE-400 is 440 grams or 14.5 Oz which is lighter than the Audeze LCD-2 at 550 grams which is quite heavy when I tried the LCD-2 at RMAF and you can not dance wth the LCD-2 on.

Thanks. Yes 440 grams it says. But I was just curious to get folks opinion who have tried it on or similiar phones, I know it is very subjective but still. It sounds very heavy, the AKG 242HD I own are 240grams. Sure they don't feel heavy but the HE-400 are almost twice as heavy..

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #273 of 903

Quote:
Thank you for your impressions. Would you describe the HE-400 as being more "fun" sounding compared to the HE-500? There's been speculation over whether it has a V-shaped frequency response more like the HE-4's.

They're definitely fun to listen to, absolutely. Not sure about the V-shaped response, never heard the HE-4s. But compared to the 500 and HE-6, the 400 held its own very well considering the price difference. The mids did seem ever so slightly recessed vs the 500. The 6 was really hard for me becuz no matter how much I cranked the amp up, it never felt like I was reaching its full potential. Even at max, the 6 still sounded hungry for more power. 

Quote:
Kilosonic
Thanks for your review. So far that I can tell the HE-400 is strong and clear in the bass. What about the mid-range or highs as compared to the HE-500. I like classical music but I do not always agree what cans are better for that type of music.

Mid and upper sounded fine to me. The highs specifically were bright & somewhat harsh but I blame my phone as I had the equalizer in the player set for my audio technica earbuds and forgot to turn that off till much later. When I reverted back to playing the 400 from the amp with Hifiman's cd source, the highs exhibited no harshness as far as I could tell. The mids, compared to 500, felt a bit recessed with a little less impact. But again, take it w/ a grain of salt since it was a struggle to properly witness the microdynamics given the loud atmosphere. As for classical, I played Chopin's Nocturne no.19 op.72 by Rubinstein on both the 400 and 500 and felt the 500 had a better overall presentation with the 400 falling only ever so slightly behind but still made up some of the difference due to the fuller bass. The feeling I got wasn't the 400 being totally outclassed by the 500 but rather just falling in love with the 500's liquid smooth midrange, despite the 400 having an edge on the low end. Also played Tchaikovsky's Hopak from Mazeppa from the Exotic Dances from the Opera album by Reference Recordings and had the same exact impression. Hope that helps~

Quote:
Appriciate the impressions Kilosonic.
I am actually thinking about ordering a pair, even though I have never heard a planar magnetic headphone before. I like the "send it back" guarantee but I live in Sweden so I guess it would still cost me some money... I study so every $ counts:) Now one thing that bothers me besides not knowing if they are worth the money soundwise is the weight.

So to those who have tried the HE-400 or any other hifiman headphone, how do they feel in your opinion? Does it feel very heavy and big compared to more normal headphones?

Demoing Hifiman's headphones was my first experience with planar magnetics so I can relate with you. All i can say is after having listened to the 400/500/6, I'm now a fan of planars lol. The difference for me was just that the sound was more.....all encompassing and enveloping. I also got to try their HE-300 (dynamic cans) which from what I understand has gotten very good reviews and immediately took them off after a 10 second listen, spoiled by the HE-400 sound. As far as the weight issue, I'm afraid I can't be of much use. I'm one of those people that never understood how a couple ounces of weight made any real difference with regards to comfort. Yes, the 400 was obviously lighter than the 500 & 6 but I wasn't like "omg y r these bricks so dam heavy". They were all very comfy and I could easily imagine wearing them for hours on end without any trouble. As for the size, they were actually smaller than I expected. And they didn't feel particularly big but then again i have a big head so ymmv. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #274 of 903

Quote:
. I also got to try their HE-300 (dynamic cans) which from what I understand has gotten very good reviews and immediately took them off after a 10 second listen, spoiled by the HE-400 sound. As far as the weight issue, I'm afraid I can't be of much use. I'm one of those people that never understood how a couple ounces of weight made any real difference with regards to comfort.  

Kilosonic,
I did the same thing with the HE-300 at the RMAF. I just listen to the HE-300 for 10 seconds and  immediately took them off since I can tell that there was nothing special about the HE-300 that appeal to me. The only planner I have is the Fostex T50RP and wonder how much of a step up the HE-400 would be.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #275 of 903

Quote:
Demoing Hifiman's headphones was my first experience with planar magnetics so I can relate with you. All i can say is after having listened to the 400/500/6, I'm now a fan of planars lol. The difference for me was just that the sound was more.....all encompassing and enveloping. I also got to try their HE-300 (dynamic cans) which from what I understand has gotten very good reviews and immediately took them off after a 10 second listen, spoiled by the HE-400 sound. As far as the weight issue, I'm afraid I can't be of much use. I'm one of those people that never understood how a couple ounces of weight made any real difference with regards to comfort. Yes, the 400 was obviously lighter than the 500 & 6 but I wasn't like "omg y r these bricks so dam heavy". They were all very comfy and I could easily imagine wearing them for hours on end without any trouble. As for the size, they were actually smaller than I expected. And they didn't feel particularly big but then again i have a big head so ymmv. 

Very nice, that's exactly what we hoped for (that the HE-400 is much closer in performance to the superior HE-500 than the inferior HE-300, unlike the pricing patterns). Am I correct to assume from your impressions that the sound signature departure from HE-500 to HE-400 is not very big overall, then (especially the mids)?

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #277 of 903

Quote:
Think its worth selling my sennheiser hd650s and getting these?

I actually sold mine to get these before preorder price went away. If you like the HD650's, no need to get rid of them, unless you want something new. I sold mine because I want a sound signature that's hopefully more forward, and I wanted to get my hands on an ortho to see what the hype is all about :p

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #278 of 903

Quote:
Kilosonic,
I did the same thing with the HE-300 at the RMAF. I just listen to the HE-300 for 10 seconds and  immediately took them off since I can tell that there was nothing special about the HE-300 that appeal to me. The only planner I have is the Fostex T50RP and wonder how much of a step up the HE-400 would be.

LOL right? Not that the 300 was bad or anything like that, not at all, but for me, after listening to the 400, going to the 300 was like...meh. I heard of Fostex, never listened to a pair unfortunately so can't say. 

Quote:
Very nice, that's exactly what we hoped for (that the HE-400 is much closer in performance to the superior HE-500 than the inferior HE-300, unlike the pricing patterns). Am I correct to assume from your impressions that the sound signature departure from HE-500 to HE-400 is not very big overall, then (especially the mids)?

Although I felt the HE-400 was nothing short of spectacular considering its price point, I came to experience that the HE-500 did, to my ears, produce a better overall sound, especially the midrange. The HE-500 ($700) however is twice the price of the HE-400 ($350 preorder price) and so did it sound 200% better than the HE-400? no lol. Nevertheless, the sound difference was substantial enough for me to strongly prefer it over the 400. I listen to mainly classical, jazz, and alternative artists and the 500 delivered all of them perfectly with the right amount of oomph whether it was the bass lines, vocalists, or cymbals, etc. While I appreciated the extra gravitas of bass on the 400, I felt that its sound signature would be more beneficial for electronic/hiphop/r&b type stuff which I don't particularly listen to very often. Not to say if I played classical/jazz stuff on the 400 that I would feel underwhelmed; on the contrary, tracks I played by Julie London, Sinatra, and Tchaikovsky came through with intense emotion and force, however when I then quickly switched to the 500, it was immediately evident that the 500 had a much more umm...creamier...silky liquid smooth midrange with just the perfect amount of bass and treble (for my taste). Like Julie London's Black Coffee sounded so lively, effortless, and seductively sensual that I often felt a tingly sensation at the beginning of each verse. On the 400, didn't get that tingle but was still very much satisfied. Overall, I vehemently believe it would be much more fair to compare the HE-400 to the 500's sound rather than the HE-300. But for people ordering the HE-400 thinking they'll be getting the HE-500 for half the price, will likely be quite disappointed. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. So yes, in a sense, the quality difference isn't "very big" but at the same time, it kinda is lol. For me, that midrange coupled with the goldilocks balance between upper and lower ranges was just too addicting, not to mention I loved the gun metal grey vs dark blue. But $350 for headphones of that quality was just too good to pass up for me. However, even having preordered the 400 I still very much plan on getting the 500 as well, eventually anyway. And to reiterate, I really wish I could compare them side by side in a much quieter setting as I felt the large amount of ambient noise of the convention really distracted from what would otherwise have been an epic listening experience.  

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #279 of 903
Damn, I just pre-ordered them as well. Fingers crossed It's not just a big hype around these and that they actually are a pair of great value headphones!

Have to say it feels a bit sneaky to offer a 50 bucks pre-order discount knowing that there will be no reviews out before the deal ends, but I'm sure they are a decent company. Cheers to shopping in the dark =)

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #280 of 903

Quote:
Damn, I just pre-ordered them as well. Fingers crossed It's not just a big hype around these and that they actually are a pair of great value headphones!

Have to say it feels a bit sneaky to offer a 50 bucks pre-order discount knowing that there will be no reviews out before the deal ends, but I'm sure they are a decent company. Cheers to shopping in the dark =)

Sneaky? You make it sound like Head-Direct is somehow trying to deceive you. Besides, if you don't like how they sound then you can get your money back.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #281 of 903

Quote:
Sneaky? You make it sound like Head-Direct is somehow trying to deceive you. Besides, if you don't like how they sound then you can get your money back.

Oh, don't worry. Definitely not imposing that! It was meant to be a bit conspiratory and humoristic since I find it a little strange we have heard so few impressions from CES so far and no review. I am not native english-speaking so it probably didn't come out right, my bad.

Yes I know about that returnpolicy but I hope I will not have to use it, and I would not have ordered the phones if I believed Head-Direct would deceive me =)

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #282 of 903

Thanks for your review.  Well said on the HE-400. Let's hope HE-500 drops some more next year ..since they figure out a way to cut production costs:) I guess for now we'll just have to be happy with the HE-400 as a starting point to planar magnetics for us new to the tech and making it affordable :)
Quote:
Although I felt the HE-400 was nothing short of spectacular considering its price point, I came to experience that the HE-500 did, to my ears, produce a better overall sound, especially the midrange. The HE-500 ($700) however is twice the price of the HE-400 ($350 preorder price) and so did it sound 200% better than the HE-400? no lol. Nevertheless, the sound difference was substantial enough for me to strongly prefer it over the 400. I listen to mainly classical, jazz, and alternative artists and the 500 delivered all of them perfectly with the right amount of oomph whether it was the bass lines, vocalists, or cymbals, etc. While I appreciated the extra gravitas of bass on the 400, I felt that its sound signature would be more beneficial for electronic/hiphop/r&b type stuff which I don't particularly listen to very often. Not to say if I played classical/jazz stuff on the 400 that I would feel underwhelmed; on the contrary, tracks I played by Julie London, Sinatra, and Tchaikovsky came through with intense emotion and force, however when I then quickly switched to the 500, it was immediately evident that the 500 had a much more umm...creamier...silky liquid smooth midrange with just the perfect amount of bass and treble (for my taste). Like Julie London's Black Coffee sounded so lively, effortless, and seductively sensual that I often felt a tingly sensation at the beginning of each verse. On the 400, didn't get that tingle but was still very much satisfied. Overall, I vehemently believe it would be much more fair to compare the HE-400 to the 500's sound rather than the HE-300. But for people ordering the HE-400 thinking they'll be getting the HE-500 for half the price, will likely be quite disappointed. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. So yes, in a sense, the quality difference isn't "very big" but at the same time, it kinda is lol. For me, that midrange coupled with the goldilocks balance between upper and lower ranges was just too addicting, not to mention I loved the gun metal grey vs dark blue. But $350 for headphones of that quality was just too good to pass up for me. However, even having preordered the 400 I still very much plan on getting the 500 as well, eventually anyway. And to reiterate, I really wish I could compare them side by side in a much quieter setting as I felt the large amount of ambient noise of the convention really distracted from what would otherwise have been an epic listening experience.  

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #283 of 903

Quote:
Thanks for your review.  Well said on the HE-400. Let's hope HE-500 drops some more next year ..since they figure out a way to cut production costs:) I guess for now we'll just have to be happy with the HE-400 as a starting point to planar magnetics for us new to the tech and making it affordable :)

Doubt it though, the reason why they could cut production costs is because they modified the driver design so it could be mass-produced more easily, if they do the same thing to HE-500 it'd sound different.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #284 of 903
Thanks Kilosonic and others for the great discussion. Pre-ordering a pair as well. First set of planars yay! 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back