HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 11, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #256 of 903
I can understand the "only best SQ matters!" approach to this hobby, but not everyone shares it. Some people are interested in the technology behind headphones and sampling a wider array of different types of sound signatures and experiences. If someone is curious to explore but lacks megabucks, more inexpensive orthos in and of itself is exciting.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #257 of 903

+1
Quote:
I can understand the "only best SQ matters!" approach to this hobby, but not everyone shares it. Some people are interested in the technology behind headphones and sampling a wider array of different types of sound signatures and experiences. If someone is curious to explore but lacks megabucks, more inexpensive orthos in and of itself is exciting.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #258 of 903

Quote:

I second this.  My budget for headphones isn't very much, but I love them.  I love all types of headphones just to hear the vast array of differences.  I love the design and style aspect in regards to look and comfort.  Ortho's in this price range are exciting and I plan to purchase a pair of 400's.  I've always wanted to hear planar magnetics from HIFIMan and I look forward to competition in this price range.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #259 of 903

Quote:

Totally agree with MuppetFace, i'm searching for the best performance ratio at a "reasonable" price (like a lot of people i think).

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #261 of 903
So are we going to make it through CES (and the preorder period) without a HD400 review? 

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #262 of 903
Unfortunately it looks like it. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #264 of 903
I'll be preordering mines shortly although I'm contemplating on whether to go back to CES for one more listen. I spent about an hour at the Hifiman booth yesterday comparing just the HE-400 and HE-500 and felt the 500 was clearly the better headphone, in fact, imho I felt it was quite competitive to the LCD-2 hooked to a Woo WA6-SE @ T.H.E. show at the Flamingo. Also listened to the HE-6 but immediately discarded it due to its insane amount of juice requirement. Getting back to the HE-400, definitely wasn't a slouch especially on the lower range which was nothing short of awesome like when I listened to a track on their portable player titled "chinese drums". Everytime the bass drum was hit, it felt like my brain was getting a massage. Clean, detailed, & punchy. I then connected the 400 directly to my android phone (samsung captivate w/ neutron music player, all flac 16/44 & 24/96 with voodoo control plus plug-in) and the sound was...ok, but the volume, even at max output, was quite low especially with the high amount of ambient noise so I doubt I'll ever hook these babies to my ipod/phone/etc unamped. I just wish they had set up an isolated listening booth like Sennheiser did with their HD-800/700.

Now, I listen to my AKG K702 religiously and still strongly felt the HE-400 was more than worth the $350-400 price tag on a bang for buck basis vs my K702, so only question for me is whether to keep the 400 or sell and upgrade to the 500. Musically, I thought the 400 worked better with electronic, hip hop, etc type stuff whereas the 500 was more appropriate for classical, jazz, acoustic, indie, etc. Just my humble opinion of course; I hope this helps. I doubt any1 could do a serious, full review @ ces, way too much noise interference; I had to crank the amp all the way just to block most of the ambience. Fang told me they're going to ship beginning sometime next week with later orders shipping out by the end of the month so hopefully someone will write an extensive review by then for those still undecided. As for me, I'm getting one no doubt. Worst case scenario I end up not liking them afterall and lose $10 or so to send them back. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #265 of 903

Quote:
Musically, I thought the 400 worked better with electronic, hip hop, etc type stuff whereas the 500 was more appropriate for classical, jazz, acoustic, indie, etc. Just my humble opinion of course; I hope this helps. 

Thank you for your impressions. Would you describe the HE-400 as being more "fun" sounding compared to the HE-500? There's been speculation over whether it has a V-shaped frequency response more like the HE-4's.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #266 of 903
Thanks Kilosonic, this is actually what I was expecting out of the HE-400. 

Quote:
I'll be preordering mines shortly although I'm contemplating on whether to go back to CES for one more listen. I spent about an hour at the Hifiman booth yesterday comparing just the HE-400 and HE-500 and felt the 500 was clearly the better headphone, in fact, imho I felt it was quite competitive to the LCD-2 hooked to a Woo WA6-SE @ T.H.E. show at the Flamingo. Also listened to the HE-6 but immediately discarded it due to its insane amount of juice requirement. Getting back to the HE-400, definitely wasn't a slouch especially on the lower range which was nothing short of awesome like when I listened to a track on their portable player titled "chinese drums". Everytime the bass drum was hit, it felt like my brain was getting a massage. Clean, detailed, & punchy. I then connected the 400 directly to my android phone (samsung captivate w/ neutron music player, all flac 16/44 & 24/96 with voodoo control plus plug-in) and the sound was...ok, but the volume, even at max output, was quite low especially with the high amount of ambient noise so I doubt I'll ever hook these babies to my ipod/phone/etc unamped. I just wish they had set up an isolated listening booth like Sennheiser did with their HD-800/700.

Now, I listen to my AKG K702 religiously and still strongly felt the HE-400 was more than worth the $350-400 price tag on a bang for buck basis vs my K702, so only question for me is whether to keep the 400 or sell and upgrade to the 500. Musically, I thought the 400 worked better with electronic, hip hop, etc type stuff whereas the 500 was more appropriate for classical, jazz, acoustic, indie, etc. Just my humble opinion of course; I hope this helps. I doubt any1 could do a serious, full review @ ces, way too much noise interference; I had to crank the amp all the way just to block most of the ambience. Fang told me they're going to ship beginning sometime next week with later orders shipping out by the end of the month so hopefully someone will write an extensive review by then for those still undecided. As for me, I'm getting one no doubt. Worst case scenario I end up not liking them afterall and lose $10 or so to send them back. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #267 of 903
Kilosonic
Thanks for your review. So far that I can tell the HE-400 is strong and clear in the bass. What about the mid-range or highs as compared to the HE-500. I like classical music but I do not always agree what cans are better for that type of music.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #268 of 903
Appriciate the impressions Kilosonic.
I am actually thinking about ordering a pair, even though I have never heard a planar magnetic headphone before. I like the "send it back" guarantee but I live in Sweden so I guess it would still cost me some money... I study so every $ counts:) Now one thing that bothers me besides not knowing if they are worth the money soundwise is the weight.

So to those who have tried the HE-400 or any other hifiman headphone, how do they feel in your opinion? Does it feel very heavy and big compared to more normal headphones?

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #269 of 903
Thanks for the detailed impressions--sounds like a fun headphone.

Quote:

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #270 of 903
Just preordered em! Can't wait 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back