HIFIMAN HE-400 Planar Headphones Pre-order
Jan 18, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #481 of 903

Quote:
Yea just checked my email and same with the earpads offer.  

Now im confused what earpads does the HE-400 come with?  I thought it was the redesigned pleather pad with the added thickness.

Yeah that's the case I think. Are HIFIMAN pads good? I heard a lot about how synthetic protein pleather pads last much longer than regular pleather, but are (obviously) cheaper to produce than leather, is this true?

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #482 of 903
Well out of all the mixed reviews/comments iv read is the headphone is comfortable.  Everyone seems to agree on that unlike the sound signature.

If the stock pleather pads are deeper then ill never change them out.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #483 of 903
I received the email about the pads too, the wording is kind of confusing however. So are we getting leather earpads shipped to us when it comes with pleather? Or is it just an extra set of the same earpads that come on them? If it's the same pads that come with them, I think I'd rather get velour to have something different. I'm quite glad to see they are showing concern towards us as customers and trying to make the mistake right though :). Btw on the product page for HE400's on head-direct there are two mini reviews posted now. Not very detailed or descriptive of the headphones themselves though.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #484 of 903

Quote:
I received the email about the pads too, the wording is kind of confusing however. So are we getting leather earpads shipped to us when it comes with pleather? Or is it just an extra set of the same earpads that come on them? If it's the same pads that come with them, I think I'd rather get velour to have something different. I'm quite glad to see they are showing concern towards us as customers and trying to make the mistake right though :). Btw on the product page for HE400's on head-direct there are two mini reviews posted now. Not very detailed or descriptive of the headphones themselves though.

Same here, curious about what pads comes with the headphones as stock. If it is the leather I might want to change the extra pair to the velour pads. Perhaps they come with some fake-leather pads and these protein-leather ones they are sending as extra are better?

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #485 of 903
According to the headphonia review, it comes with the pleather pads. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #486 of 903
this is the second day since it said my headphones have been shipped.
the tracking number still doesn't work.
is anyone else having this problem?

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #488 of 903
It comes with pleather pads, which I assume are different from the leather pads, which Head-Direct sells separately for $20.

I bought a pair of velour pads when I ordered mine, but seeing as how I can't get the stock pads off, the availability of real leather or other pads may be a moot point...

Best,
Adam

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #489 of 903
Life happens ... Chinese new year happens ... imagine there are no cancelled flights ... no one is stranded on the airport ... no one got mugged ...
So there is a few weeks delay - heck I have lived with months delay in this "hobby"

We have become so used to instant gratification ...

How about some burn-in ... I have not heard a single headphone that did not get better after burn-in ... AKG 701 sounds cold and lifeless out of the box and it opens up with a few hundred hours burn-in ...

I better keep my 500's :wink:

Fang is a class act - he is a great guy - give him some love ...
He is young, energetic and one manufacturer, designer and business in headphone industry who has made more contribution IMO than anyone else in last 3 years ...

So mistakes happen - he admits it ... so every now and then you get a B or a C ... it does not make you a bad student - just more humble and understanding of those who do not get Straight A's ...

I suggest that we all listen to our favorite tunes and enjoy the hobby that was intended to be - listen to and be transported my music - a universal language ...

Imagine if the tables were turned ...

Love and Peace ...
Cheers
Sunil.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #490 of 903

Quote:
Well out of all the mixed reviews/comments iv read is the headphone is comfortable.  Everyone seems to agree on that unlike the sound signature.

If the stock pleather pads are deeper then ill never change them out.

The stock pads are plenty deep and decent quality.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #491 of 903
I agree. I find the HE-400 very comfortable. The clamping force strikes me as entirely appropriate. It isn't as comfortable as my well-worn Senn. HD600s, but then again, what is...

The clamping force is certainly less than I have experienced with Ultrasone Pro 900s or Pro 2900s, and it is also less than I have experienced with Beyerdynamic DT770s. It's probably right around the level of Denon cans.

The weight of the HE-400s is noticeable when I have them in my hands, but I forget about it once I have the cans on. Again, they aren't as light as my HD600s, but it's not a big deal.

One more quick note: I listened to the HE-400s out of my HiFiMan HM-601 and was initially disappointed. They didn't sound bad, but they sounded a little slow, with slightly smeared detail. The sound was rounded, but not very exciting and it certainly didn't feel like a step up from my other cans.

Then I tried them with my Burson HA-160D and also with my Neco Soundlab 18V "portable" amp: it was like I was listening to a different pair of headphones. The veil was gone and they seemed much quicker and more lively. Detail came back. The HM-601 is a great portable player and generally has ample power, way more than needed and more than an ipod can deliver. But for some reason, the HM-601 just doesn't cut it with the HE-400s, and I'm sure an ipod/iphone would be even worse. In short: be sure you have a proper amp before ordering - don't think these are suitable for portable or unamped use.

Best,
Adam

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #492 of 903
I can't speak to this particular situation, but I find that tracking numbers (depending on the service) usually take a good two to three days before they start behaving like you'd expect them to. I don't think you need to be concerned.

Quote:
this is the second day since it said my headphones have been shipped.
the tracking number still doesn't work.
is anyone else having this problem?

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #493 of 903
Just to follow up: my issue with using the HE-400s unamped or with an ipod isn't volume necessarily. The HM-601 got loud enough. It was the quality of the sound. I think the HE-400s just need more juice to really sing.

Best,
Adam

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #494 of 903
I got mine in today and for some reason there's a massive channel imbalance, I thought the left cup wasn't working at all at first.  I'd also like it if the pads were deeper, my ears still touch the plastic bit holding the magnets.  I'm wondering if the HE-4 has more room for the ears.  If I get them working I might get beyer pads for my ears.

Quote:
It comes with pleather pads, which I assume are different from the leather pads, which Head-Direct sells separately for $20.

I bought a pair of velour pads when I ordered mine, but seeing as how I can't get the stock pads off, the availability of real leather or other pads may be a moot point...

Best,
Adam

Just sort of pinch them off.  The pad is wrapped around a plastic ring that attaches them to the cup, the ring is pretty flexible.  

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #495 of 903

Quote:
Just to follow up: my issue with using the HE-400s unamped or with an ipod isn't volume necessarily. The HM-601 got loud enough. It was the quality of the sound. I think the HE-400s just need more juice to really sing.

Best,
Adam

it could be just synergy problem. warm source+warm Headphones etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back