Hifiman He-400 or V moda M100 for rap, hip/hop, electronic music 500$ budget
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

drmrwt

Head-Fier
As it says, Hifiman He-400 or V moda M100 for rap, hip/hop, electronic music. My Budget is 500$. I am gonna get an amp/dac most probably Fiio e17 for them. Open to other suggestions.
I like good amount of bass which is controlled and textured, highs should not be ear piercing(like my Atrio Mg7's).

Regards,

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 17
Even though I think the HE-400 is the better headphone, the M100 works better for you and the music you listen to.
The bass on the HE-400 is kinda lacking when used for rap music.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 17
Custom one pros + O2/ODAC

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 17
If it's for exclusively at-home or at-work usage, then M100s are not even in the same league as HE400 in pure sound quality.

The M100s shine when you are looking for a portable solution, in which case HE400s are useless since they are huge and bulky and leak everything and isolate nothing, and has a huge cable; meanwhile M100s are designed to be compact, isolating, fantastic for on-the-go.

Basically what you plan to do with your headphone, OP, makes the decision incredibly easy for you.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
If it's for exclusively at-home or at-work usage, then M100s are not even in the same league as HE400 in pure sound quality.

The M100s shine when you are looking for a portable solution, in which case HE400s are useless since they are huge and bulky and leak everything and isolate nothing, and has a huge cable; meanwhile M100s are designed to be compact, isolating, fantastic for on-the-go.

Basically what you plan to do with your headphone, OP, makes the decision incredibly easy for you.

thank you. your statement pretty much summed it up. i heard a lot about the he400's. i am just worried about the bass cuz i am moving from a bassy IEM and i hear the he400's dont have enough bass. other than that i like them a lot. mostly they will be used at home, i have my atrio mg7s for portable use. also will the fiio e17 will be enough? any other dac/amp you would suggest?

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 17
They aren't really basshead cans, but they can handle some serious bass boost with equalization. The bass is also different than the bass of dynamic headphones, since it has no mid-bass hump and also has a good deal less distortion.

The e17 will definitely be enough.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
thank you. your statement pretty much summed it up. i heard a lot about the he400's. i am just worried about the bass cuz i am moving from a bassy IEM and i hear the he400's dont have enough bass. other than that i like them a lot. mostly they will be used at home, i have my atrio mg7s for portable use. also will the fiio e17 will be enough? any other dac/amp you would suggest?

You will be extremely satisfied by the bass response of the HE-400, for an open can it does well.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 17
I'd say... HE-400 and either Fiio E12 or O2. Go E12 if you're on a budget. I don't think you should buy an E17 when there is a much better amp out there.

Plus there's a bass boost switch on E12 in case you need to push it further... For music that has bass, E12 does push out some very quality amount.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
I'd say... HE-400 and either Fiio E12 or O2. Go E12 if you're on a budget. I don't think you should buy an E17 when there is a much better amp out there.

Plus there's a bass boost switch on E12 in case you need to push it further... For music that has bass, E12 does push out some very quality amount.

WOW i was not aware there is a new fiio in town!. I hope i like the sound of He-400's right away. i wish the highs are not too sharp/fatiguing for me.   

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
You will be extremely satisfied by the bass response of the HE-400, for an open can it does well.

well to be honest these would be my first hifi cans other than some 10$ chinese headphones. I really don't know how the bass is supposed to be on closed or opened back headphones. i just hope it is enough for me cuz i am coming from kinda bassy IEM's.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

both of these are amps. i require a DAC as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back