Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Aug 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #362 of 510
Thanks a lot, gentlemen.  I took a look at the measurements on innerfidelity for the Hifiman range.  Based on what I see there the difference between both should indeed be especially pronounced in the treble, around 4-5 kHz and then around 10-10.6 kHz.  Going strictly by the data it seems to me that the 500 is a more civilised version of the 6, not a class lower than the flagship but rather a logical evolution, even when leaving the more realistic power requirements out of the equation.  But the numbers and response charts for both sure look nice, even compared to top of the line competitors such as the HD-800 (apples and oranges, i know..).  I'll load up on piano (the high notes), small cymbals and dynamic violin heavy pieces when I go and audition them in october.

Talked to the shop, they have everything in stock, all of their auditioning gear has been burned in for at least 250 hours.  Their tech (audio engineer) urged me to also give the EF-6 amp a try with the HE-6, claims it's a match made in heaven.  Of course it's also a +- 2K USD amp without DAC vs the Violectric 181 with DAC module at 1400.

Cost isn't the primary issue for me though of course I'm not about to throw some cash away either.  But I've decided to upgrade and in stead of going the incremental way just to aim for the top (that is, the top upto 5000 or so) and be done with it. Good thing I'm not into full sized speakers.  Source-wise I'm set.   I'll let you know how the chips fell in october 'cause at the end of the day the proof of the pudding is in the listening and personal appreciation.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #363 of 510
Quote:
Thanks a lot, gentlemen.  I took a look at the measurements on innerfidelity for the Hifiman range.  Based on what I see there the difference between both should indeed be especially pronounced in the treble, around 4-5 kHz and then around 10-10.6 kHz.  Going strictly by the data it seems to me that the 500 is a more civilised version of the 6, not a class lower than the flagship but rather a logical evolution, even when leaving the more realistic power requirements out of the equation.  But the numbers and response charts for both sure look nice, even compared to top of the line competitors such as the HD-800 (apples and oranges, i know..).  I'll load up on piano (the high notes), small cymbals and dynamic violin heavy pieces when I go and audition them in october.

Talked to the shop, they have everything in stock, all of their auditioning gear has been burned in for at least 250 hours.  Their tech (audio engineer) urged me to also give the EF-6 amp a try with the HE-6, claims it's a match made in heaven.  Of course it's also a +- 2K USD amp without DAC vs the Violectric 181 with DAC module at 1400.

Cost isn't the primary issue for me though of course I'm not about to throw some cash away either.  But I've decided to upgrade and in stead of going the incremental way just to aim for the top (that is, the top upto 5000 or so) and be done with it. Good thing I'm not into full sized speakers.  Source-wise I'm set.   I'll let you know how the chips fell in october 'cause at the end of the day the proof of the pudding is in the listening and personal appreciation.

The IF measurements are only a starting point, important things (for judging high end headphones) like noise floor, detail extraction, decay, and imaging cannot be inferred with real certainty from FR/THD/SQWs/impulse plots, and those attributes are precisely where HE6 (well-driven) bests HE500.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #364 of 510
  I'm not suggesting one needs to purchase a multi-hundred dollar cable.  I got a "nice" cable off ebay for about $50.  It has neither of the problems that the stock cable has.  I didn't want a new cable for sound reasons.  The stock cable sounded just fine.  But, to me, fixing the other issues was worth the money. 

If the stock cable doesn't bother you, then you get to save a little bit of money in not replacing it.  Nice.  If anybody in this camp wants to buy a used spare, I've got one available. 

Hiya - do you have a link to the ebay cable at all?

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #365 of 510
I have no idea whether the OP is still interested but I'll give my thoughts just cuz I can atm lol.

Having used the HE-400 and the RE-272 afterwards, my ears were so used to the near completely flat RE-272 that I couldn't stand the HE-400 when I went back.

However, since my ears now know what the reference flat sound like, I was able to EQ my HE-400 to be near flat sounding.

After that, when comparing the RE-272 and HE-400, the HE-400 sounded so much better in the mids and the bass most probably because of the planar drivers.

However, when it came down to imaging and euphony, the HE-400s still could not match the RE-272s and was an area I wish the HE-400s could improve on.

Going back to the point, no matter what people say on Head-Fi, IMO, people exaggerate their opinions to make their voices heard. I think IF you value your money, HE-400 with the right EQ settings to be reference flat sounding is going to be the best bang for buck HP out there. If you have money to waste, then please do go ahead and buy better hps with more neutral sounds. However, after learning how to EQ to flat sounds with music players, I actually like having fun signatured HE-400s since that allows me to enjoy them with games and movies as well!

BTW, if anyone want my EQ settings for HE-400, PM me. Removing bass on the HE-400 brings transparency out so much that it feels like the unEQed HE-400 sounds veiled. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #366 of 510
I'm interested, but why don't you just post your EQ settings publicly here? 

BTW, if anyone want my EQ settings for HE-400, PM me. Removing bass on the HE-400 brings transparency out so much that it feels like the unEQed HE-400 sounds veiled. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #368 of 510
  HE-400's bass is the best you're going to get south of the LCD!  I'll never EQ it down.

It is the best and even better when not bloated. Trust me just try and give your ears a chance to listen to it. It's tighter, punchier with the same depth and texture. Majority of HE-6 users would say the HE-400 has too much bass and it I agree with them. Not only that, the mids come through with its transparency with a flatter response allowing you to really feel the "planar mids".

However, I respect the fact that people may like certain signatures and if so, that may be the best sound for you. I'm just saying for those that wanna try out neutral sounding HP like the HE-6, HE-500, the EQed HE-400 ain't bad at all. And I'm pretty certain I know what neutral sounds like cuz RE-272 is damn flat lol.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #369 of 510
There's a difference between being bloated and having too much bass.  HE-400's bass is not bloated, just elevated.  You can't EQ the HE-400 bass down and say you've made it tighter.  Being bloated is a result of lack of damping and/or too much thd.

I havn't heard the HE-6 but I can imagine it to sound heavenly when rightfully paired with an amp.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #370 of 510
  There's a difference between being bloated and having too much bass.  HE-400's bass is not bloated, just elevated.  You can't EQ the HE-400 bass down and say you've made it tighter.  Being bloated is a result of lack of damping and/or too much thd.

I havn't heard the HE-6 but I can imagine it to sound heavenly when rightfully paired with an amp.

hmm I don't get ya fully but okay. My only point is that midbass plays a part in veiling the mids of the HE-400s no doubt. It has too much presence when compared to other flatter hps.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bass on the HE-400s as well, but the midbass area after trying out flatter phones just had too much presence for myself which contributes to covering up the mids.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #372 of 510
  They should have a flat bass with no hump.  The upper mids are comparatively shelved though you are right.

I am aware that graphs show that the bass is flat. However, even if flat, it does not mean that its not overpowering the mids. Since the bass overall on the HE-400 for me is too much, I EQ the bass down but the midbass down more than the subbass since the midbass has a much greater impact on the overall sound.

The thing is, I enjoy bass. But, from experimenting, I would rather have a more transparent mids than more midbass which is too much for me anyways.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #374 of 510
Monkeyboylee,

Here is the page for the seller from whom I purchased the cable. The seller doesn't appear to have any Hifiman-terminated cables at present, but I imagine it wouldn't hurt to ask if they could get/make any.  Disclaimer, I have no knowledge of this seller other that I completed one transaction with him/her and was satisfied. 

Lastly, going back through my records, I see that the cable was a 12.5' canare cable and cost $65 (above, I indicated "about $50" because I did not remember the exact cost). 

http://www.ebay.com/usr/hanpanhaji

Users who are viewing this thread

Back