HiFiMan HE-300 to V-Moda M-100. Upgrade or sidegrade? [Solved, getting Senn. Momentum]
Mar 19, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #46 of 64

sorry for my word. But personally, its bass is crap for me :) it's just better than Beats a little bit.

See these kinda posts are what irk me. Head phone is all screeching treble and "it's so clear!" It has big bass and "it sounds like crap". Regardless of how velvety smooth and clean that bass is, if a headphone is bassy we get people like you saying it's crap. The bass on the M100 is amazing chiefly because for all its presence it doesn't impede on the rest of the spectrum. If you can't hear that difference, well... that's your fault, not the headphone. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #48 of 64
I'm not saying you have to like them, just that there's a wide berth between "this is not my sound" and "these sound bad". The latter makes it seem like you're suggesting anyone who likes that product has malfunctioning ears or something, LOL. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #51 of 64
And it's not the bass quantity, rather the quality of the bass that makes me dislike the M100s.

See this is exactly what I mean. The bass is distortion free on the M100s, it's clean and powerful, there's just a tilt. But no, bass heavy phones have people going "it has bad bass quality!" No, it doesn't.

In fact, genuine question: name a pair of headphones with the quantity of bass of the M100 that, to you, has "quality" as well. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #53 of 64
I only had a brief experience with the M100s but "clean" is the last word I would ever use to describe their bass response. To me it sounded a bit flabby and bloated. I feel like I like bass heavy gear for the most part, but you'd have to be an all out "basshead" to be a fan of the M100s. Not that that's a bad thing, everyone likes what they like of course. Just saying if the OP is a fan of Hifiman/Audeze sound signature then the M100s shouldn't be on his list at all.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #54 of 64
Which is why I'm now looking for Momentums, NAD Viso HP5, Focal Spirit Ones, and B & W P7

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #55 of 64
I only had a brief experience with the M100s but "clean" is the last word I would ever use to describe their bass response. To me it sounded a bit flabby and bloated. I feel like I like bass heavy gear for the most part, but you'd have to be an all out "basshead" to be a fan of the M100s. Not that that's a bad thing, everyone likes what they like of course. Just saying if the OP is a fan of Hifiman/Audeze sound signature then the M100s shouldn't be on his list at all.

Well that's because neither of those are remotely bass heavy. :p

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #56 of 64
Actually the HiFiMan AND the Audeze are pretty boosted in the bass department.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #57 of 64
Actually the HiFiMan AND the Audeze are pretty boosted in the bass department.

Listened to both. They might chart as "boosted", but it certainly doesn't come across when you listen to them. I've had this argument a hundred times and it doesn't change. Denon/Fostex? That's high-end bassy headphones. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #58 of 64
But you would probably say most reference headphones are lacking in bass. They are boosted in the bass. The HE-300's are bass heavy

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #59 of 64
But you would probably say most reference headphones are lacking in bass. They are boosted in the bass. The HE-300's are bass heavy

No they are not. They're gently bass boosted. Very gently. VMODA LP2's are bass heavy. Bass heavy means significant bass attenuation, not a tiny little nudge. No open-back headphones are bass heavy. Some have a frequency boost but... here's the dirty little secret of bass: because of its very nature, it loses a lot of its impact when in an open environment. That's why when you take a closed-back headphone or an IEM and break the seal the bass goes away but nothing else. It's also why you can put the subwoofer in a home theater or car stereo system almost anywhere. Bass is omnidirectional, highs are directional. So even if those drivers have some extra push to their bass output, the fact that they're open means a bunch of that energy is going outward. End result? Not much impressive on the bass output.

If you think the HE-300's are bass heavy I can't even imagine what you'd do if you put on a pair of Fostex TH900s or Perfect Sound Didos. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #60 of 64
No they are not. They're gently bass boosted. Very gently. VMODA LP2's are bass heavy. Bass heavy means significant bass attenuation, not a tiny little nudge. No open-back headphones are bass heavy. Some have a frequency boost but... here's the dirty little secret of bass: because of its very nature, it loses a lot of its impact when in an open environment. That's why when you take a closed-back headphone or an IEM and break the seal the bass goes away but nothing else. It's also why you can put the subwoofer in a home theater or car stereo system almost anywhere. Bass is omnidirectional, highs are directional. So even if those drivers have some extra push to their bass output, the fact that they're open means a bunch of that energy is going outward. End result? Not much impressive on the bass output.

If you think the HE-300's are bass heavy I can't even imagine what you'd do if you put on a pair of Fostex TH900s or Perfect Sound Didos. 

I've tried the LP2's and I can honestly say that the mid and sub-bass is more apparent on the HE-300 than on the LP2. I guess if the HE-300 are bass boosted then I don't need bass heavy headphones. I should be pretty happy with the momentums, maybe a bit of EQing will be needed though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back