HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity Complete - Feel free to still comment
May 18, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,561 of 1,738
I have the feeling this will be a very popular headphone for people who like the HE560, it's a very similar sounding headphone in terms of it's sound signature, I feel like it just does everything better, although it really makes the HE560 look like a WAY better value for only $899, considering this will cost $3000. That being said, just ilke the LCD-3 is twice the price of the LCD-2, you can't expect it to be twice as good because unfortunately it doesn't work like that in hi end audio .

I'm also not getting too much of a laid back sound signature from this headphone, I find it to be very natural and engaging just like the HE560, but with significantly better dynamics, speed, bass control and clarity and treble extension are what really stand out to me so far. The bass body feels signifcantly better to me than the HE560, which I found to be the one weak point of that headphone - it's bass was a little thin for my tasts, particularly being a fan of the Audeze headphones. I feel like the bass has a bit more body like the Audeze's, but still the excellent control and detail of the HE560 that allows you to hear individual notes. It's also been my finding that bass is one thing that usually changes most after burn-in, so I think there is still room for improvement too.

My only particular quibble so far is how huge this thing is, I had to put the headband on the smallest possible setting to make it fit comfortably, which it does thankfully, but if you've got a small head this thing may end up being a dealbreaker as I think this thing truly just wants to eat your head. Luckily once the fit is adjusted it is EXTREMELY light & comfortable just like the HE560, not nearly the heavy beast my LCD-3's are.

Also, I plan to try the LCD-3 pads eventually, but I think I will give it a few months until I am more familiar with it's sound and it has had a chance to fully break in. That being said, I am planning on keeping it because quite frankly, it's the best headphone I've ever heard, though I've still never heard quite a few of the highest end headphones (Abyss, SR-009, HE-6).

That's all for now, back to listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Couldnt have said it better myself. This reflects my thoughts almost exactly!

May 18, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #1,562 of 1,738

Cotnijoe, I noticed in your pictures you had the headband all the way down too - do you find it to be a bit large as well? I think they designed this thing so even Andre the Giant could wear it, lol. On the highest setting it literally falls right off my head if i were to let it

May 18, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #1,563 of 1,738
This actually makes a lot of sense to me, if Hifiman used the 560s as a threshold for tuning these.

However it just doesn't add up quite the same when we get headphones like the modded HD800s, modded HE-6s or SR009s in the picture. Imho.

May 18, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,564 of 1,738

Cotnijoe, I noticed in your pictures you had the headband all the way down too - do you find it to be a bit large as well? I think they designed this thing so even Andre the Giant could wear it, lol. On the highest setting it literally falls right off my head if i were to let it

Yes, andre the giant would probably wear this with room to spare. Unfortunately, that means that little asian guys like me suffer. Haha the smallest adjustment does fit me, but it still almost reaches to my jawline.

Once use to how low they sit on my head though, I have to say theyre more comfortable than the HE560s.

I dont think these will be a dealbreaker for many due to it not being too accommodating to small heads. I really do have a VERY small head, I think only the smallest of women will really have trouble with these.

But holy crap do these sound fantabulous 
basshead.gif

May 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,565 of 1,738
I have the feeling this will be a very popular headphone for people who like the HE560, it's a very similar sounding headphone in terms of it's sound signature, I feel like it just does everything better, although it really makes the HE560 look like a WAY better value for only $899, considering this will cost $3000. That being said, just ilke the LCD-3 is twice the price of the LCD-2, you can't expect it to be twice as good because unfortunately it doesn't work like that in hi end audio .

I'm also not getting too much of a laid back sound signature from this headphone, I find it to be very natural and engaging just like the HE560, but with significantly better dynamics, speed, bass control and clarity and treble extension are what really stand out to me so far. The bass body feels signifcantly better to me than the HE560, which I found to be the one weak point of that headphone - it's bass was a little thin for my tasts, particularly being a fan of the Audeze headphones. I feel like the bass has a bit more body like the Audeze's, but still the excellent control and detail of the HE560 that allows you to hear individual notes. It's also been my finding that bass is one thing that usually changes most after burn-in, so I think there is still room for improvement too.

My only particular quibble so far is how huge this thing is, I had to put the headband on the smallest possible setting to make it fit comfortably, which it does thankfully, but if you've got a small head this thing may end up being a dealbreaker as I think this thing truly just wants to eat your head. Luckily once the fit is adjusted it is EXTREMELY light & comfortable just like the HE560, not nearly the heavy beast my LCD-3's are.

Also, I plan to try the LCD-3 pads eventually, but I think I will give it a few months until I am more familiar with it's sound and it has had a chance to fully break in. That being said, I am planning on keeping it because quite frankly, it's the best headphone I've ever heard, though I've still never heard quite a few of the highest end headphones (Abyss, SR-009, HE-6).

That's all for now, back to listening :)

A good, detailed impression, thanks.

May 18, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #1,566 of 1,738

I was complaining to Cotnijoe that once he has the HE1000, applying for the very limited 10 pcs of review sample of the B1 seemed superfluous. This would apply to many who have sent in their resumes for the B1, that have flagships galore. I am just trying to get my hands on some nice equipment which I actually need. You replied by saying that you like portable gear more than desktop equipment.

There, I think I got it down. Honestly though, we should make some reviewer rules. Yes they have more experience, but many just get a monopoly that they don't end up using.

Thank you @money4me247 for pointing out the thread. I would ask why he's applying but although I do envy his profile there seems to be an empty slot for a good portable amp, lol.

I certainly dont think I'm some big shot reviewer or have some sort of reviewer prolificus status like some on these forums have. There are companies like fiio that use all variety of reviewers of all different experience for their tours. There are certainly opportunities as we all started in the same place! And your biggest asset will always be politely asking haha

May 18, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #1,567 of 1,738
Agreed, they are very comfortable I've been literally listening since they got here at noon today (EST) and have not had comfort issues or fatigue yet.

Luckily they fit you well too if you've got a small head, I guess it's a pretty good headband design then because it will accomodate smaller heads on up to even people with huge heads (I'm guessing there's a lot of those around here :wink:

May 18, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #1,568 of 1,738
I hope, and chant for the second batch arrives tomorrow.:)

May 18, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #1,569 of 1,738

I certainly dont think I'm some big shot reviewer or have some sort of reviewer prolificus status like some on these forums have. There are companies like fiio that use all variety of reviewers of all different experience for their tours. There are certainly opportunities as we all started in the same place! And your biggest asset will always be politely asking haha

Yeah, I guess I was a bit aggressive there, I apologize for that...

My question really applies to many experienced reviewers who know they'll never use the device, then still take a shot at it anyway. We all had a shot at making railroads, but Rockefeller made that very difficult, ja?

I would be very surprised if companies pick anyone besides for the top reviewers. All I'm asking for is for people to recognize that many others don't have as much equipment as them, so when the chance pops up to get something as a sample, it can be fair to the one's who need it most.

The top reviewers are actually very nice, and are willing to answer most questions as well. That's how I got started with reviews and tips for them, lol. I just wish we could all have a piece of the pie. Once you have the HE1000's, well... Enjoy them! 
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,570 of 1,738

That's all for now, back to listening :)

+2

May 18, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,571 of 1,738
  Yeah, I guess I was a bit aggressive there, I apologize for that...

My question really goes out to all the experienced reviewers who know they'll never use the device, then still take a shot at it anyway. I mean, we all had a shot at making railroads, but Rockefeller made that very difficult, ja?

I would be very surprised if companies pick anyone besides for the top reviewers. All I'm asking for is for people to recognize that many others don't have as much equipment as them, so when the chance pops up to get something as a sample, it can be fair to the one's who need it most.

The top reviewers are actually very nice, and are willing to answer most questions as well. I just wish we could all have a piece of the pie. Once you have the HE1000's, well... Enjoy them! 
biggrin.gif

Usually everyone & anyone who is interested in reviewing an item will sign-up for such a posting. I don't think there is a bias towards professional reviewers or 'experienced' reviewers over people with more limited gear or newer members. I think companies value feedback from people with lots of expensive gear experience as well as people who stay in a more affordable price bracket.

I actually find that some reviewers who stick within a lower price tier bracket often have a really good sense of value per price point due to their extensive research into a large range of possible options and can really contribute on what is competitive at the price point that they've been playing around with. I've also found a lot of extremely well-written and insightful reviews from people who may not have a vast collection of gear, and a lot of times newer members do not have preconceived notions about brands or gear which gives a refreshing new perspective on to their impressions. I think the most important thing about getting selected is simply just participating and contributing to the community :)

Also, generally, I see a lot of people giving away review gear to newbies if they have no need for it in their collection. I've given away stuff I've paid for to new members who are just starting up as it's always a bit sad to have a nice piece of gear just gathering dust.

May 18, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,572 of 1,738
Goooooooooood. Let the heat flow throuuuuugh youuuuuu.

Kojaku

This thread has been eye candy overload the past few days. I actually saved many of these scrumptious photos.

Pretty accurate there. The HE1000 is just a tad bit louder than the HE560 when switching between the two. Very slight though, to the point where I dont need to adjust the volume pot at all

Ok, off with my family, birthday dinner at a fine local steak house, yummmm...

You and your delicious meats.
evil_smiley.gif

That's all for now, back to listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Gosh, I get more giddy for the HE1000 with every new impressions post I read!

I'm working on a new "inspiration wallpaper" tonight, featuring the HE1000 and...something else. Will share it here soon.

This actually makes a lot of sense to me, if Hifiman used the 560s as a threshold for tuning these.

However it just doesn't add up quite the same when we get headphones like the modded HD800s, modded HE-6s or SR009s in the picture. Imho.

What do you mean by this exactly? Some people could interpret your statement as "I like these other headphones more."

I hope, and chant for the second batch arrives tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,573 of 1,738
  Usually everyone & anyone who is interested in reviewing an item will sign-up for such a posting. I don't think there is a bias towards professional reviewers or 'experienced' reviewers over people with more limited gear or newer members. I think companies value feedback from people with lots of expensive gear experience as well as people who stay in a more affordable price bracket.

I actually find that some reviewers who stick within a lower price tier bracket often have a really good sense of value per price point due to their extensive research into a large range of possible options and can really contribute on what is competitive at the price point that they've been playing around with. I've also found a lot of extremely well-written and insightful reviews from people who may not have a vast collection of gear, and a lot of times newer members do not have preconceived notions about brands or gear which gives a refreshing new perspective on to their impressions. I think the most important thing about getting selected is simply just participating and contributing to the community :)

Also, generally, I see a lot of people giving away review gear to newbies if they have no need for it in their collection. I've given away stuff I've paid for to new members who are just starting up as it's always a bit sad to have a nice piece of gear just gathering dust.

...? I did not know this... I never knew there could be larger projects going on. I can't say I'm a newbie anymore, but it's really nice to see people are there to expand the community. It's good to hear this perspective once in a while 
smile.gif
 Thank you!

May 18, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #1,575 of 1,738

I just received mine today and I am also using them all the way down. They fit great but I was lucky they did not need to get smaller...
I hope they smooth out with burn-in because they do not sound the same as the ones I heard at Jude's office over a month ago.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back