HiFiMAN EF400 DAC/Amp
Jun 22, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #167 of 190
Hello, I am interested in the E400. I have a SMSL SH-9 paired up with a SMSL M500 mk1. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the SH-9 and feel the E400 is a good upgrade power wise and dac wise. I do like the idea of it being a all in one. If it's better than the SH-9 and M500 mk1. I'll sell the two and get myself a E400. Thanks 😊
I didn't try SMSL SH-9 with M500 but I own EF400 and love it with its warm, big, lush sound. If I were you I would try EF600, it has upgraded R2R from EF 400 and even more power. EF 400 is ridiculously strong and drives planar magnetic phones excellent. Mine LCD2 2021 closed back with it delivers huge bass and stage, very detailed sound while being not harsh or sibilant.

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #168 of 190
Friends.
About the Hifiman EF400, how is the reliability of use regarding bugs and crashes?
I see a lot of people complaining about their EF400 breaking and I'm afraid to get a visa I don't have a guarantee from hifiman here in my place, I live outside the US.
But I really want this unit, preferably already used and tested.

Jul 16, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #169 of 190
Friends.
About the Hifiman EF400, how is the reliability of use regarding bugs and crashes?
I see a lot of people complaining about their EF400 breaking and I'm afraid to get a visa I don't have a guarantee from hifiman here in my place, I live outside the US.
But I really want this unit, preferably already used and tested.
I got one from Hifiman shop EU, no issues whatsoever, happy out.

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #172 of 190
had a scary experience with my EF400 just now... I first thought my headphones died (Arya), because there was this crazy popping static noise with the music... but then tried other headphones, it was also there. Restarted dac... works fine. First time it happened after 6 months. Anyone had same issue?

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #173 of 190
had a scary experience with my EF400 just now... I first thought my headphones died (Arya), because there was this crazy popping static noise with the music... but then tried other headphones, it was also there. Restarted dac... works fine. First time it happened after 6 months. Anyone had same issue?
The popping noise I’ve seen others mention, but not sure why/what causes something like that. I was supposed to get it and never did (yet), but I am considering it now at $399

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #174 of 190
The popping noise I’ve seen others mention, but not sure why/what causes something like that. I was supposed to get it and never did (yet), but I am considering it now at $399
I think it's an amazing dac. Hopefully this issue is minor. I'll see if it repeats any time soon. If it's once every couple of months, I can live with that...

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #175 of 190
I had this problem with two EF400 units. But I found out it is problem for with 44.1 kHz bitrate. When I was using HQplayer upscaler or Roon upscaling, it was ok. But any other 44.1 kHz source (including Youtube, Netflix, etc.) was problematic in my system. But, Hifiman have a great support. They offered me refund or upgrade to EF600 with my additional payment. I decided for EF600 as Serenade was not available from EU warehouse. I liked a sound from EF400 so anyhow I had a problems with crackling I decided to stay with Hifiman's R2R Hymalaya sound.

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #176 of 190
I think it's an amazing dac. Hopefully this issue is minor. I'll see if it repeats any time soon. If it's once every couple of months, I can live with that...
I think I’ve seen this happen if the usb isn’t delivering enough bandwidth and or source file is high resolution - but it’s not something that should happen as a very high end DAC should have correction mechanisms to prevent it

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #177 of 190
I had this problem with two EF400 units. But I found out it is problem for with 44.1 kHz bitrate. When I was using HQplayer upscaler or Roon upscaling, it was ok. But any other 44.1 kHz source (including Youtube, Netflix, etc.) was problematic in my system. But, Hifiman have a great support. They offered me refund or upgrade to EF600 with my additional payment. I decided for EF600 as Serenade was not available from EU warehouse. I liked a sound from EF400 so anyhow I had a problems with crackling I decided to stay with Hifiman's R2R Hymalaya sound.
Yes it’s a processing issue, but not sure why it’s limited to that bitrate and not higher?

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #178 of 190
I did not hear this. I bought my EF400 in August 2022 and it works fine - as DAC but I made some headphone tests last days without any problem. I just bought a second one to put in next my bed (secondhand at 300e) with SMSL SP 400 amp and Ananda. The USB C input is so handy for me for the player that I could not find a good alternative (and the price helped me too).

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #180 of 190
I like this amp/DAC, but I have this issue - static/popping noise - with it. The first unit I purchased Hifiman replaced on my complaint about this problem, but the replacement unit does behaves the same way. The issue has only shown up for me in NOS mode playing 16/44.1 files, and then not all the time. Doesn't happen with any other combo of modes/file types. Don't love this it does this, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. Mostly, I just run it in OS mode. I have seen this issue mentioned in at least a few of the reviews I've read online.

I have a number of Hifiman products. I've never had any major issues with any of them, and of course like them enough that I have a lot of them. With the issues that I've had, Hifiman support has been really great. Responsive, helpful, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back