HiFiMAN EF400 DAC/Amp
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 190

DeweyCH

Member of the Trade: Lithium Headphones
OK, so... taking my medicine here, I wrote out a long rant about how much this sucked and was ready to return this to HFM before I realized that I had user-errored my source volume like a nitwit. Ever get righteously indignant about something just to realize that not only were you dead wrong, but it's your own fault?

Anyways... I got the EF400 today, and after going through a really stupid moment, am listening to it now with my Susvaras. Sounds pretty decent. I don't think it's going to unseat my Conductor 3XP, but for the price, it's a solid little compact amp.

Anyways... if anyone happened to read my rant before I edited it, fire away with the finger-pointing and laughter.

Anyone else have one of these they've tried out?

Specs:
THD+N (Line out) : Between 0.002% and 0.004%
Channel Separation : 125+/-3dB
Signal to Noise Ratio : 118+/-3dB (A Weighted)
Maximum Power Output : 4.4 W per channel
Dimensions : 246.5mm(L)×228mm(W)×61mm(H)
Weight : 3.08kg

It's nice looking and very small. The R2R DAC built in is the first one I've had the luxury of hearing. It'll take me a bit of time to get a grip on the sound, but it's pretty nice. Doesn't seem to pull the detail out of the Susvaras I get from my Pro iCAN or Conductor, but for $600, I think it's worth comparing to something like a Jot 2 with a DAC module.

Hifiman, if you saw my rant, I'm sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_3010.jpg
    IMG_3010.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 190
This seems to be interesting. I have the younger sibling HE1k SE, this could pair well with that. Will have to wait when it releases here and maybe give it a try.

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 190
:point_right::laughing:

I had to do it…
Didn't read the rant however. It does have enough power for the Susvara then?
To drive it, yes. To drive it well, not really.

Mar 27, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 190
The more I listen to this, the more impressed I am by its performance for the price. Driving my HE6SEV2 right now with pretty darned nice capability.

Mar 28, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 190
Just received the EF400 and I barely have to turn up the volume on this thing. It gets loud fast. For the HE6SE V2 I have it on low at around 20%. Is this what you guys are experiencing? Doesn't seem like to me the low vs high settings are doing much. They all seem to be at a high setting?

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 190
The more I listen to this, the more impressed I am by its performance for the price. Driving my HE6SEV2 right now with pretty darned nice capability.
How is it compared to your Pro iCan? I recently bought the iCan, partially based on your posts, and would love to know how you compare the two.

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 190
How is it compared to your Pro iCan? I recently bought the iCan, partially based on your posts, and would love to know how you compare the two.
Not as good. I’d say it’s a step up from something like a Jot 2, but the Pro iCAN is simply a fabulous amp (assuming you don’t need the DAC integrated). This is a good value with great performance at its price, but it’s not a genre changer.

I do want to try it out as a pure DAC and see how it compares with my BF2 and Conductor in DAC mode

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 190
Not as good. I’d say it’s a step up from something like a Jot 2, but the Pro iCAN is simply a fabulous amp (assuming you don’t need the DAC integrated). This is a good value with great performance at its price, but it’s not a genre changer.

I do want to try it out as a pure DAC and see how it compares with my BF2 and Conductor in DAC mode
Got it...so it does not drive the He6 V2 as well? And the DAC, so far, doesn't seem to be a revelation?

I'm using the iCan with my He6 V2 and either a Pono balanced or laptop>Mojo as source. Love the iCan but just wondering if there is a more affordable option!

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 190
Got it...so it does not drive the He6 V2 as well? And the DAC, so far, doesn't seem to be a revelation?

I'm using the iCan with my He6 V2 and either a Pono balanced or laptop>Mojo as source. Love the iCan but just wondering if there is a more affordable option!
That’s what I was wondering when I ordered this. It drives the HE6v2 really well, but the iCAN just does better.

Haven’t given it enough runway to really get a grip on the DAC, and there’s always the possibility it needs more breaking in. I think I could be very happy with it if I didn’t have the iCAN and the Conductor in house already.

You can get $100 of it with proof of purchase of your HE6SE for what it’s worth. I’d call it 90% of the iCAN’s ability to drive the hard to drive planars at a quarter the price (half the price if like me you got the iCAN secondhand).

I’d struggle to justify having an iDSD Pro over this, although the 3D and bass boost functions are pretty awesome on iFi Pro stuff.

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 190
Just received the EF400 and I barely have to turn up the volume on this thing. It gets loud fast. For the HE6SE V2 I have it on low at around 20%. Is this what you guys are experiencing? Doesn't seem like to me the low vs high settings are doing much. They all seem to be at a high setting?
Yeah low gain is more like mid-high gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back