HiFiMAN EF400 DAC/Amp
Jan 10, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #152 of 190
Hello ishmaelk,

I've owned a HIFIMAN EF400 for 10 days now, and came across this post by searching "Hifiman EF400 cracking sound". I read that I'm not the only one to be confronted with this sound problem, for me, it's really very unpleasant!
How can we in 2023 produce a DAC that generates crackles, and tell the customer "just turn it off!", it's not serious!
Also, I wonder, without judgment, why you consider this dac "a great deal" ?
I had some crackling noises too when I first started using it, but after a while I stopped having the issue. Whenever I've run into the problem, I switched to OS mode and then back to NOS and that usually fixes it. I'm also using OS mode more than I used to at first, I find it may be less detailed, but the presentation seems more accurate to me. I may be talking bollocks, but that's how I perceive the difference between OS and NOS.
I think it's a great deal (I paid around 400 euros for it in an offer) because the DAC alone, I like it more than I used to like my Burson Composer, or the Bifrost 2 OG, even (although I've come to realize that was probably because I was using it with a Jotunheim 2, which seriously limited it in my opinion). Both of those DACs are more detailed (but not crazily so), but the sense of depth in the soundstage and just pure engagement, neither the Composer nor the Bifrost 2 OG gave me that. And the amp section I find it better than the Jotunheim 2. I had the Jot2 at the same time as the EF400 and although the Jot2 was more impactful and it worked better with dynamic headphones, the shallowness of the stage was very apparent switching from the EF400 to the Jot.
The EF400 simply ruined the Jot2 for me.
So with the EF400 you have an amp that is very powerful and provides more depth in the soundstage that something like the Jot2, and a great R2R DAC. Not the most detailed, sure, and with some noise every now and then playing 16/44 audio. But it is way better than a combo like Jot2 + Modi Multibit (I haven't tried the latest version) or Bifrost 2.
To this day, it's still one of my best buys in audio.

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #153 of 190
I had some crackling noises too when I first started using it, but after a while I stopped having the issue. Whenever I've run into the problem, I switched to OS mode and then back to NOS and that usually fixes it. I'm also using OS mode more than I used to at first, I find it may be less detailed, but the presentation seems more accurate to me. I may be talking bollocks, but that's how I perceive the difference between OS and NOS.
I think it's a great deal (I paid around 400 euros for it in an offer) because the DAC alone, I like it more than I used to like my Burson Composer, or the Bifrost 2 OG, even (although I've come to realize that was probably because I was using it with a Jotunheim 2, which seriously limited it in my opinion). Both of those DACs are more detailed (but not crazily so), but the sense of depth in the soundstage and just pure engagement, neither the Composer nor the Bifrost 2 OG gave me that. And the amp section I find it better than the Jotunheim 2. I had the Jot2 at the same time as the EF400 and although the Jot2 was more impactful and it worked better with dynamic headphones, the shallowness of the stage was very apparent switching from the EF400 to the Jot.
The EF400 simply ruined the Jot2 for me.
So with the EF400 you have an amp that is very powerful and provides more depth in the soundstage that something like the Jot2, and a great R2R DAC. Not the most detailed, sure, and with some noise every now and then playing 16/44 audio. But it is way better than a combo like Jot2 + Modi Multibit (I haven't tried the latest version) or Bifrost 2.
To this day, it's still one of my best buys in audio.
Hello ismaelk,

Thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately for me, I very often have the problem of craking sound. I also found that it happened more often in NOS than on OS, however, I did not look at the frequency of the tracks on which it happened.

I do not dwell on Delta Sigma, R2R, AKM chips, ESS, etc ..., but only on the sound. I am not an expert.
Without the cracking problem, I love the sound of this EF400!
My choice on this hifiman EF400 was made on, dac + amp, and a good return from the headphone amp. The fact that its DAC part is R2R was not a criterion of choice for me.

I'm going to buy an SMSL C200 for a few months, classic and well-known chip, very decent price, probably the headphone amplifier part is worse than on the EF400, but I hope I won't have any more crackling.
Afterwards, save money, then analyze the market and search for rare pearls (dac).

Good continuation, good music, Jerome.

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #156 of 190
hi, i have a problem with my ef400, my phone is connected and when I listen to apple music, when I disconnect the phone and plug it back in after a while, it doesn't connect, I have to turn the device off and on and unplug the cable from the usb port and plug it back in, how can I solve this problem?

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #157 of 190
hi, i have a problem with my ef400, my phone is connected and when I listen to apple music, when I disconnect the phone and plug it back in after a while, it doesn't connect, I have to turn the device off and on and unplug the cable from the usb port and plug it back in, how can I solve this problem?
Sorry to say you, but I think you "have to turn the device off and on and unplug the cable from the usb port and plug it back in". :L3000:

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #158 of 190
Have any of you had the opportunity to test Hifiman EF400 vs iFi Audio ZEN Signature Set HFM? One of them is made by HFM, the other has a custom EQ curve made for HFM... both at the same price in my country.
Using Arya Stealth btw

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #160 of 190
Hi all, did anyone try EF400 with HD800S, is it capable to drive it properly regarding 300ohm?
Also I have LCD 2 2021 Closed Back, wondering did someone tried it too.
As I have Xduoo Ta26 with rolled tubes, have a feeling should sound well with R2R in the Hifiman, and planing to make a stack in soon while with Jotungheim 2. That would kind of give me 3 signatures until I swap to R2R Dac only such as Ares 2 or Bifrost 2 64.

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #162 of 190
Hello,

I just got this dac/amp and its going great so far. Am I supposed to leave this amp 24/7 since the power button is in the back? Will there be any long term issue if I do?
There is going to be no long term issue.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #163 of 190
Any chance anybody who stills owns this can tell how big of a difference se vs balanced makes on this unit?
Hi.
I have noticed a bigger difference between single ended and balanced outputs when using it as a dac only.
There is a difference in sound between the 3.5, 6.35 outputs and the 4.4 and XLR. But there is a difference between the 4.4 mm and the XLR too. I have noticed it too with planars, which shouldn't be affected by output impedance.
I don't know, for me it is like having 3 different amps. I never use the 3.5 mm output.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #164 of 190
Hi all, did anyone try EF400 with HD800S, is it capable to drive it properly regarding 300ohm?
As I have Xduoo Ta26 with rolled tubes, have a feeling should sound well with R2R in the Hifiman, and planing to make a stack in soon while with Jotungheim 2. That would kind of give me 3 signatures until I swap to R2R Dac only such as Ares 2 or Bifrost 2 64.
There should be absolutely no problem driving the HD800S. I had the LCD X 2021 closed and the combination was great, too.
To me, the amp section was better than the Jotunheim 2. I liked the Jot2, until I realized how the EF400 gave me noticeably more depth.
Just my experience and taste, obviously.

May 5, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #165 of 190
I have hd800s/ef400 combo, very nice sounding esp in NOS mode. Ef400 drives hd800s with ease, not even passing 9 o'clock on high gain and I'm only around 9 o'clock on low gain. I listen to moderate levels though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back