Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Apr 20, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #2,491 of 2,788
Opinions vary a lot, I've seen many say that the Arya and XS are tonally very similar and most ended up keeping the XS because they could barely hear a difference between the two.
I don't agree. The XS bass under 40 Hz is soft, Arya goes to 20 strong, and even to 10 Hz if you care. The XS has a bit of a lift from 55-150 Hz and is warm all the way 500 Hz. Fans of the HD-650 should find the bass/low mids quite comfortable. The XS gets hot over 10k, which actually to me is less annoying than the Arya stealth which gets hot from 4-5k, very hot. The Arya needs more juice, and they both need EQ (parametric please).

The XS tuning is easier to take for most w/o EQ, and it will run near its best on lesser equipment. Feed them both a top notch signal, with proper EQ (not that 2018 Harman gunk), and the Arya is a better can. How much better? 6%? But if you want to play that game there is probably a $40 can that's 58% as good as the XS. I think the Susvara is say 3.5% better than the HEK v2, is that worth it? I think the HE-6 SE v1 and HEX v2 are better than the Ananda and XS, and the SE v1 is a smidge better than any Arya, so for me the XS and Arya don't come into play as a buy option. But they might if I didn't have those two cans.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #2,492 of 2,788
Hello.
High-frequency rustling in the right earpiece. I took it apart, blew it out - it didn’t help, it even began to ring even more. Apparently, from blowing, the membrane only stretched more and began to cling to magnets more (or with what it can come into contact).
The rustle is not very strong, it does not particularly interfere, but the sound cannot be called reliable.Bought used, no warranty. If I buy the same, then only with the possibility of a return.
I don't know how to attach a photo. Photo.
P.S.: Rustle was from 104 Hz (approximately) to the lowest (30 Hz) at -54 dB and louder. Now, after assembly and half an hour of listening, this ringing has become almost inaudible! Maybe the purge helped, but not immediately. Some kind of pile got and then clings, then no. The gaps there are very small and the membrane is thin and sensitive ...
P.P.S.: I listen XS from a smartphone LG G8 (The gain is turned on to the maximum, which is about 80-90 mW) Volume at 55-65 out of 75 steps. :) It sounds decent and pleasant, even the bass. Better than Takstar HF580. Waiting for the amp to arrive Topping L70. DAC E70V bought, got lies waiting too..

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #2,493 of 2,788
4 questions:

- Actually I have the XS. The arya costs 999 USD at the Moment. Is it Worth to upgrade or is there a big Chance That it sounds the Same? Some People say They can‘t Hear a difference. So you could be disappointed?

- Does dekoni improve, change or worsen the Sound? Is it better to Stay at the original pads?

- I will buy the E70&L70? Is this a good combination for the XS? I Read it could be too clean and sterile. The Problem is I Need a remote. Is there a big difference in comparison to the EF400?

- Which of These headphones Are good as a second pair? Elear or teak? Side- or downgrades?

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #2,494 of 2,788
4 questions:

- Actually I have the XS. The arya costs 999 USD at the Moment. Is it Worth to upgrade or is there a big Chance That it sounds the Same? Some People say They can‘t Hear a difference. So you could be disappointed?
Unless you are using the headphone out in some 1990 receiver and have a 1 bit mash DAC the differences are obvious. The tuning of the XS is probably easier to relax with but if you want an exciting can with more detail then u want the Arya assuming you can afford it. Alternately there are some other fine cans in that price range (esp used) that are more different than those two and arguably better.
- Which of These headphones Are good as a second pair? Elear or teak? Side- or downgrades?
Yeah. OG Clear $890, used XC 2021 open back, and more.

Apr 28, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #2,495 of 2,788
4 questions:

I have heard both side by side. I had the EDXS.
The two are obviously brothers and sound alike.
The Arya and HE1000SE are more refined sounding compared to Editions. The Editions sound a little harder (harsher). In my opinion, not enough to justify the vast price difference.
Value wise, EDXS are almost peerless.
Regarding Focal headphones, in my opinion again, only the top models after Clear sound good. I don't like any of them up to Clears.
I had the Clears and sold them. Not for me.

Apr 28, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #2,497 of 2,788
Clears, No!
LCD-XC 21 definitely. after EQ.
The Audeze are closed back, which is far more practical .
The OG Clears I had in sounded quite fine in my system, but my R2R/MB DAC has an analog signature. On Sabre chips, I could image they might be hot. My tastes go to the HD-600 on an OTL tube over the Clear. The Utopia is fine with an EQ, but I'm down on all mega buck cans as a viable option (> 2k). Like the Stellia a bit but the list price was about 70% more than I would pay.

Practical means nothing to me if the sonics are not good. Most closed backs in particular the bass cannons don't do it for me at all. The XC with EQ (like virtually all headphones benefit from) is however a credible job.

Again, the XS is very fine. it's more than 50% as good as a Susvara. I bet if I tried I could find $140 cans that are well more than 50% as good as the XS. It's all relative to what you can afford and the minimum, or more quality you can live with.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #2,498 of 2,788
Again, the XS is very fine. it's more than 50% as good as a Susvara. I bet if I tried I could find $140 cans that are well more than 50% as good as the XS. It's all relative to what you can afford and the minimum, or more quality you can live with.
You don't have to try very hard: It's in the same household -- the HE-400se. Remarkable sound for $109. Definitely within 50 percent of the XS, which is one of the true value kings at $500 or less.

May 4, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #2,499 of 2,788
4 questions:

- Does dekoni improve, change or worsen the Sound? Is it better to Stay at the original pads?

- I will buy the E70&L70? Is this a good combination for the XS? I Read it could be too clean and sterile. The Problem is I Need a remote. Is there a big difference in comparison to the EF400?

I got Topping l70+e70 velvet. Can't directly compare the sound E70v vs HIFIMAN EF400, because I sold EF400 (I might buy again later). listened to EF400 with other headphones, but remembered its musical sound very well. Similar sound to AKM Topping e70v of course not to achieve, but you can play around with filters that do not change the sound much.Generally Topping e70v+l70+Hifiman Edition XS sounds very detailed, melodic enough and of course powerful! I also use (sometimes) an equalizer or Morphit inside the player UAPP. But even without an equalizer, the headphones work well in tandem (Trio) with Topping.

Attachments

• 20230503_151134_HDR.jpg
    20230503_151134_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230504_165311_HDR.jpg
    20230504_165311_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 4, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,500 of 2,788
So after a month the seller replaced my XS for a new one. I can confirm that clamp force is either tighter, I stretched my first pair in 7 months or my head grown bigger : ). Both times the phones were not from first batch with nice black boxes - just simple cardboard ones.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #2,502 of 2,788
Hello folks! My Edition XS arrived some days ago. Running them off a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2 + JDS Atom Amp. Happy with them. Only thing I am an not thrilled about is the slightly narrow (but deeep !) sound stage and the bass roll off sub 50hz and a bit of pillowy response under 70Hz.
I would like to upgrade my dac/amp combo but I am not sure with what. < 400$/euro.
Thinking about Topping DX5, SMSL D500 MK2, Aune X8 Magic DAC + Aune A7S... Any recommendations of a good pairing ?
I have stated reading the thread pages but it will take me a while.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #2,503 of 2,788
Hello folks! My Edition XS arrived some days ago. Running them off a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2 + JDS Atom Amp. Happy with them. Only thing I am an not thrilled about is the slightly narrow (but deeep !) sound stage and the bass roll off sub 40-50hz.
I would like to upgrade my dac/amp combo but I am not sure with what. < 400$/euro.
Thinking about Topping DX5, SMSL D500 MK2, Aune X8 Magic DAC + Aune A7S... Any recommendations of a good pairing ?
Look also at Yulong Da-Art Aurora. Judging by the reviews, a very musical version should play well with Edition XS.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #2,504 of 2,788
Hello folks! My Edition XS arrived some days ago. Running them off a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2 + JDS Atom Amp. Happy with them. Only thing I am an not thrilled about is the slightly narrow (but deeep !) sound stage and the bass roll off sub 50hz and a bit of pillowy response under 70Hz.
Parametric EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back