Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Apr 14, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #2,476 of 2,784
In 20+ years of being an audiophile, I've never been happier with a headphone. I've owned many, and the XS is simply the best price/performance set, as well as one of the best tuned I've ever owned. It blows away previous Hifiman and Audeze sets I've had.

With that said, I also needed to have mine repaired after almost 2 years. If it wasn't so good, I would have gone with something else, but I wanted to stick with them.

The oratory AutoEQ is perfect too. I've been getting close EQ wise without it, but AutoEQ w measurements is the best thing to happen to audio software in a long time.
I agree that EDXS is very good.
I just thought I should mention that the headphones have not been out for two years yet! :relaxed:
They were released in China IIRC around Nov. 21.
I got mine around Dec. 21 , while they were limited to China at the time.

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #2,477 of 2,784
I would like to ask the owners of the Hifiman edition XS, how do you feel about the headphones, and what do you share your experience listening to? in many tests it is written that the space is large, the stage is wide, and the imaging is very accurate, as well as that the middle frequency range is very detailed, the bass is very full, meaty and complete compared to other hifiman type headphones. I hear the headphones as having a very small stage, very intimate, almost as it sounds in my head, not something detailed, so average, and the imaging is not that good, however, I agree that the deep range is complete, it goes down quite a bit and it has a good body there is, but I don't agree with the rest of what many testers write, such as headfonia or headfonics. I listen to the headphones with a Violectric dha v590 mk2 device, which is currently one of the best and most powerful solid-state amplifiers on the market. in addition, I use a meze audio 3.5mm eight-core $150 4.4mm balanced cable. so it is out of the question that it does not drive the headphones perfectly and does not bring out the maximum potential from it. or maybe I've heard and owned and still own much better headphones, and that's why the XS seems so little?
Have you done any testing with the stock cable to confirm there's no wiring issues that make your cable incompatible? I get that you wouldn't be able run balanced and that might not have the best current draw from your particular amp and making the Edition XS really shine, but you'd at least be able to rule out the cable being an issue.

If you have any other amplifiers I would also test against that. The only time I've ever heard anything similar to what you're describing with the Edition XS is when it's plugged into a phone jack.

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #2,478 of 2,784
I'm telling you this is simply the best pair of headphones you can get for 500 to even 800$...
...even though
The comfort is a bit off (at least for me)
:thinking:

All subjective, of course. But comfort is high on my list, especially for extended sessions, and there is major competition in that price bracket, especially from DCA.

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #2,479 of 2,784
...even though

:thinking:

All subjective, of course. But comfort is high on my list, especially for extended sessions, and there is major competition in that price bracket, especially from DCA.
Subjective results if agreed upon by enough numbers, becomes objective data. eg. Harman curve.
EDXS are comfortable.
All large headphones can wobble a bit, unless the clamping force becomes too much , then they become not so comfortable !
DCA are all comfortable, but ay the price, EDXS has better sound.
From experience, a subjective opinion ofcourse.
How does one ascertain comfort objectively ? I wonder.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #2,480 of 2,784
I'm telling you this is simply the best pair of headphones you can get for 500 to even 800$. Paired with a good DAC/Amp it's a very good choice. When it comes to soundstage, it's not so wide it sounds artificial but it's very wide. Very detailed. The comfort is a bit off (at least for me) but I solved it purchasing from Amazon the Geekria Large Hook and Loop Headband Cover . You won't regret your choice providing you have a good DAC/Amp (witch you seem to do)
Depends. I have the juice, mods, EQ, and DAC to run the HE-6 SE which IMO is better. Even out of the box. I have the HEX v2 which is the earlier better and less pop voicing of the XS and that cannot match the 6 SE either - of course in my opinion.

Also the XS headband is poor even by HFM standards.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,481 of 2,784
Depends. I have the juice, mods, EQ, and DAC to run the HE-6 SE which IMO is better. Even out of the box. I have the HEX v2 which is the earlier better and less pop voicing of the XS and that cannot match the 6 SE either - of course in my opinion.

Also the XS headband is poor even by HFM standards.
Original HE-6 SE or V2? I had V2 and found the XS to be better, but I never tried the original.

Apr 16, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #2,482 of 2,784
Original HE-6 SE or V2? I had V2 and found the XS to be better, but I never tried the original.
Either way. Did your amp have 4 wpc @ 50 ohms. Most that dont like much it do not have the juice.

I own the HE-6 v1, HEX v2, HE-500, HE-5LE, 4XX, and had the XS, arya 3, HE-6 SE v2, Sundara on loan in past year. The v2 , v1 and Arya 3 are the best in the most categories. Arya 3 wins in stage size, but the 6 SE wins most of the others. The headband on the 6 SE v2 also sucks. All of them have crap stock cables, and HFM never sold a round cup with the correct pads on them - ever. Next best is the 500, then the HEX v2, then the XS. Its good, don't get me wrong, but it just does not stack up IMO. Good value.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #2,483 of 2,784
what defiance and amplifier are you listening to? What other types of headphones do you have that you think the XS is better than?
Focal Clear OG $890, HE-6 SE, Ananda 3 come to mind. Lots of people losing their minds over the NDH-30. If one has an OTL amp, the HD-600 would be my choice over the XS on say a Schiit Lyr 2.
I'm telling you this is simply the best pair of headphones you can get for 500 to even 800$. Paired with a good DAC/Amp it's a very good choice. When it comes to soundstage, it's not so wide it sounds artificial but it's very wide. Very detailed. The comfort is a bit off (at least for me) but I solved it purchasing from Amazon the Geekria Large Hook and Loop Headband Cover . You won't regret your choice providing you have a good DAC/Amp (witch you seem to do)
At under $500 and only SS amp and not enough juice for a HE-6 SE v2 - yes very likely the best

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #2,485 of 2,784
Either way. Did your amp have 4 wpc @ 50 ohms. Most that dont like much it do not have the juice.

I own the HE-6 v1, HEX v2, HE-500, HE-5LE, 4XX, and had the XS, arya 3, HE-6 SE v2, Sundara on loan in past year. The v2 , v1 and Arya 3 are the best in the most categories. Arya 3 wins in stage size, but the 6 SE wins most of the others. The headband on the 6 SE v2 also sucks. All of them have crap stock cables, and HFM never sold a round cup with the correct pads on them - ever. Next best is the 500, then the HEX v2, then the XS. Its good, don't get me wrong, but it just does not stack up IMO. Good value.
I had the Monoprice THX-887 driving it. Specs say 32 ohms: 6000mW, so I was near 4w @ 50ohms.
To me, the low end was better on the V2, but everything else (mids, soundstage, treble, imaging, etc) was noticeably better on the XS.
Agreed on the crap stock cables and poor earpads. I use XINHS exclusively now, and used several sheepskin earpad replacements on the V2. I stay stock on the XS.

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #2,486 of 2,784
Apr 18, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #2,487 of 2,784
3 questions. i actually have the XS but i have to wait for topping e70 and l70.

- What is the next step from the XS? Arya Stealth or HEK Stealth?
- Does the dekoni sheepskin pads improve, change or worsen the sound?
- Do you think it makes sense to buy a emu teak, focal elear, fiio ft3 as a second headphone or are all of them objectively worse than the XS and it makes more sense to buy a higher hifiman model than a second headphone with dynamic drivers? i will use the xs for rock music and movies.

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #2,488 of 2,784
Just got these today, fantastic all-rounders. Been wearing them for hours with zero issues from the headband, despite what I heard. Fit like a glove for me.

3 questions. i actually have the XS but i have to wait for topping e70 and l70.

- What is the next step from the XS? Arya Stealth or HEK Stealth?
- Does the dekoni sheepskin pads improve, change or worsen the sound?
- Do you think it makes sense to buy a emu teak, focal elear, fiio ft3 as a second headphone or are all of them objectively worse than the XS and it makes more sense to buy a higher hifiman model than a second headphone with dynamic drivers? i will use the xs for rock music and movies.

Opinions vary a lot, I've seen many say that the Arya and XS are tonally very similar and most ended up keeping the XS because they could barely hear a difference between the two.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #2,489 of 2,784
I tried the arya and the edition xs back to back at e-earphone. I think the arya is a more enjoyable listen, but it's not worth over 2x the cost of the XS. My ears adapt after 5-10 min of listening after an immediate swap.

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #2,490 of 2,784
I tried the arya and the edition xs back to back at e-earphone. I think the arya is a more enjoyable listen, but it's not worth over 2x the cost of the XS. My ears adapt after 5-10 min of listening after an immediate swap.
very true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back