Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Aug 5, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #1,891 of 2,791
Hi there! Are XS brighter than Deva (wired)? I see that reviewers tend to mention crisp highs and sometimes almost sibilants, which I usually do not prefer. Main reason why I think to change my Deva - is to add some bass (just a bit, like Deva sounds if you pull the cups 1 cm away from your ears) The highs on the other hand (not technical details, but overall brightness) is absolutely ok for me on Deva, so when reviews mentioned that XS has a slightly more bass they got my attention.

I'm thinking about having an upgrade and exploring LCD2c and XS at the moment (though LCD is twice more expensive, has membrane durability issues for such price and the pads are also subjectively hot) while XS reviews bothers me for the highs, didn't have a chance to test them yet. LCD2c has an uplift in higher mid region which has an effect (for me) that lower mids are somehow suppressed (while they are not) not sure if I like it yet...
Yuri! Titov, Tereshkova... I followed all the manned action being born in '57 with two Engineers for parents.

Could give advice if I knew equipment and musical tastes and what you look for - detail, soundstage, bass, no difficult treble...

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #1,892 of 2,791
Has anyone come across an EQ recommendation of the RME ADI-2 DAC/Amp for these phones. I have the oratory version for full EQ, but not one done for the RME. I have no idea how to convert the full EQ to the RME 7 band limitation.

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #1,893 of 2,791
Has anyone come across an EQ recommendation of the RME ADI-2 DAC/Amp for these phones. I have the oratory version for full EQ, but not one done for the RME. I have no idea how to convert the full EQ to the RME 7 band limitation.
My understanding is that the RME ADI-2 has a 5-band parametric EQ (and the 2 additional bands are treble and bass controls). You can try applying the first 5 bands from the AutoEQ settings: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...y1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN Edition XS

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,894 of 2,791
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #1,895 of 2,791
Yuri! Titov, Tereshkova... I followed all the manned action being born in '57 with two Engineers for parents.
:beerchug: You are lucky enough to experience this in person, I'm younger ('87) and can only imagine how awesome those moments have been to live through : )

The equipment is rather modest - DAP ibasso dx220 with amp8EX and that is all, really like how it sounds but have a feeling that Deva (wired, balanced) can't give the most of it, so thinking about LCD2c or Edition XS and really considering this as an end game for me (at least now)). I like the speed and details of planars and also when mids are not suppressed. Deva lacks just a bit of punch for my taste (also I've tested lcd2c and yep - they seem to present the details in much more pleasant way). Music - metal, thrash, death - 30%, heavy classics -30 (Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest), 15% synthwave (where the lack of bass is most noticeable), 15% ambient\folk (Heilung, Wardruna), 10% everything else.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,897 of 2,791
:beerchug: You are lucky enough to experience this in person, I'm younger ('87) and can only imagine how awesome those moments have been to live through : )

The equipment is rather modest - DAP ibasso dx220 with amp8EX and that is all, really like how it sounds but have a feeling that Deva (wired, balanced) can't give the most of it, so thinking about LCD2c or Edition XS and really considering this as an end game for me (at least now)). I like the speed and details of planars and also when mids are not suppressed. Deva lacks just a bit of punch for my taste (also I've tested lcd2c and yep - they seem to present the details in much more pleasant way). Music - metal, thrash, death - 30%, heavy classics -30 (Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest), 15% synthwave (where the lack of bass is most noticeable), 15% ambient\folk (Heilung, Wardruna), 10% everything else.
Yes it was really big until the moon landings. Cool. Did u Mod amp? See Twister6 for very solid cap changes FYI.

Given what you say the LCD-2 is what I think you'd prefer. Many varieties used. Digital EQ can address what I hear as shortcomings, but you may not agree. Suppressed lower treble and too reticent over about 13k.

Come back with updates.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #1,898 of 2,791
Did u Mod amp?
Nope, was looking for a regular amp 8 and stumbled on one guy who was selling the EX version made by ibasso - quickest second-hand deal I've ever had : )
The shop near me promises to have XS in couple of weeks, so I'll have a chance to touch it with my ears.

Thanks a lot for recommendation - will share what I've decided in the end.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,899 of 2,791
Nope, was looking for a regular amp 8 and stumbled on one guy who was selling the EX version made by ibasso - quickest second-hand deal I've ever had : )
The shop near me promises to have XS in couple of weeks, so I'll have a chance to touch it with my ears.

Thanks a lot for recommendation - will share what I've decided in the end.
Nice. I like the XS it's related to the HEX v2 which I have.

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #1,900 of 2,791
Ok, I think I'm set for a while. Took another step on my climb up the Hifiman ladder today, from 4XX to Sundara and now the Edition XS.

I was a little worried about the potential fit, but I have zero complaints. I tried a demo pair at the store a few weeks ago and it felt really loose. So, I think there might be something to the theory that the newer models have a bit stronger clamping force. Mine is perfect for me.

Pairs perfectly with the Mojo 2. I had to tame a little bit of the brightness by dropping the 3K region a couple of dB and I bumped the bass and sub-bass a little too, because bass.

Of course, that may change over time with burn-in, but for now, thoroughly enjoying absolutely everything I'm throwing at these things, from Steely Dan to Bruce Cockburn to Miles Davis to Glenn Gould to Pat Metheny to Shpongle or Nick Drake. It all sounds great.

Happy listening. :L3000::beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,901 of 2,791
First try to see if the cable is bad, mine comes with pretty bad cable, 2ohms difference between L&R; then try to RMA; if it's out of warranty (depends on your region) try to fix it, the drive is unlikely to fail but soldering might fail.
Finally got myself a set of pure silver balanced 4.4mm cable from taobao to replace my defect oem cable! The first impression is that it offers more solid sound stage, the highs seem to be more clear and lows more solid :-)
WeChat Image_20220814143034.jpg

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #1,902 of 2,791
Ok, so after a couple of days with these cans, I only have one minor complaint. Occasionally, when I move my jaw, I get a creaking sound from the left cup.

Anyone else experiencing creaking like this, and were you able to fix it?

BTW, live music is especially glorious with these headphones. Listening to my favourite recording, Sunday at The Village Vanguard, and absolutely loving it.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #1,903 of 2,791
Ok, so after a couple of days with these cans, I only have one minor complaint. Occasionally, when I move my jaw, I great a creaking sound from the left cup.

Anyone else experiencing creaking like this, and were you able to fix it?

BTW, live music is especially glorious with these headphones. Listening to my favourite recording, Sunday at The Village Vanguard, and absolutely loving it.
Yeah I get that creak when I wear glasses. In my case it's the earpads rubbing on the arms when I move my head/jaw :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back