Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jul 14, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #1,876 of 2,788
Hey guys,

I'll be getting my Edition XS this coming weekend. I've been doing a whole lot of reading on different forums and I know that power requirements is a topic that has been extensively discussed; however, I haven't found much info on how these headphones do with a portable DAP such as de Sony WM1A, which I currently own.

Do any of you have experience in pairing the Edition XS with the WM1A and if yes, could you tell me what I can expect? I'll also be pairing them with a Schiit Asgard 3 and a Magni heresy, which I expect to have no problem driving the HPs.

Any info you can share will be highly appreciated!

edit: spelling
Your Asgard will drive them much better than the Heresy and I doubt the WM1A will do them any sort of justice, balanced or not. Not really a portable headphone, unfortunately. Maybe with a Centrance M8 but I still have doubts.

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #1,877 of 2,788
The packaging for my headphone seems to be different to others I've seen. The silk lining isn't present with my packaging either.

Ordered from 'addicted to audio' Australia, July 2022

Attachments

• 20220706_211728.jpg
    20220706_211728.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 22, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #1,878 of 2,788
The packaging for my headphone seems to be different to others I've seen. The silk lining isn't present with my packaging either.

Ordered from 'addicted to audio' Australia, July 2022
I've just received (July 21) my 2nd pair from A2A and they're in the same packaging as yours.
My first pair came in a nice black box which had the silk lining, this pair not.
Also, the card with the 2 serial numbers for the driver warranty was absent with this 2nd pair.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #1,881 of 2,788
I notice the bass becomes elevated and more enjoyable when the pads are forced not to seal well.

Can the same effect be achieved with pads that are more porous? Perforated or felt pads perhaps?
If you've seen the Headphone Show review of these, you'll see that's a tuning of the resonance frequency of the headphone to around 40Hz, so it's something you can play around with, but I'm not sure pads would be the way to go.

You'd also be costing yourself sub-bass rumble.

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #1,883 of 2,788
I forgot I had these. I bought them months ago, but they've largely been sitting in the box on a shelf, mainly because I just can't use open-backs most of the time due my living circumstances (live near a loud highway).

But wow, listening to these today I don't think I've ever heard a headphone that sounds better with classical music. These are perfect for classical (which is much of what I listen to). Not to mention they're extremely comfortable for a big-eared person like me. I need to use these more!

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #1,884 of 2,788
Ive had them for 3 weeks now.
I'm not getting on well with them exactly.

Used as BGM music while working I find the bass amount quite low. Turning them up a bit, the bass amount does come through BUT when I really want to jam out at a higher (reasonable) volume it seems the mids and treble get louder much more than the bass does. Proportion and FR balance is lost. Hmmm.

Using schiit Jotunheim.

These may be too treble happy for me and my taste right now. I have the AKG k712 for moments when I want insight and enjoyment in the high end.

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #1,885 of 2,788
I forgot I had these. I bought them months ago, but they've largely been sitting in the box on a shelf, mainly because I just can't use open-backs most of the time due my living circumstances (live near a loud highway).

But wow, listening to these today I don't think I've ever heard a headphone that sounds better with classical music. These are perfect for classical (which is much of what I listen to). Not to mention they're extremely comfortable for a big-eared person like me. I need to use these more!
I'm more of an Electronic guy for which these cans are also superb. If you could recommend a couple of your standout classical tracks I'd be keen to have a listen :).

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #1,886 of 2,788

Used as BGM music while working I find the bass amount quite low. Turning them up a bit, the bass amount does come through BUT when I really want to jam out at a higher (reasonable) volume it seems the mids and treble get louder much more than the bass does. Proportion and FR balance is lost. Hmmm.

Using schiit Jotunheim.

These may be too treble happy for me and my taste right now. I have the AKG k712 for moments when I want insight and enjoyment in the high end.
As you go louder, perceived levels of the midrange and lower treble will climb on any speaker with a fixed tuning. This a consequence of how heads and human ears work.

They definitely have an upper treble spike at 12kHz, but are otherwise inoffensive, and that might be correctable for you with this mod.

Away from that, it's a u-shaped open back, though I don't know the specifics of how the Jotunheim would drive it, nor have you specified what output you're running it out of, nor your DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #1,887 of 2,788

Using schiit Jotunheim.

I use a Schitt Lokius to supplement subbass and midbass. Software EQ isn't enough.
The XS takes it quite well though and fills out nicely with the extra bass. Without the boost, yes it does sound a bit lean.
Best headphone I've ever had by far.

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #1,888 of 2,788
Hi there! Are XS brighter than Deva (wired)? I see that reviewers tend to mention crisp highs and sometimes almost sibilants, which I usually do not prefer. Main reason why I think to change my Deva - is to add some bass (just a bit, like Deva sounds if you pull the cups 1 cm away from your ears) The highs on the other hand (not technical details, but overall brightness) is absolutely ok for me on Deva, so when reviews mentioned that XS has a slightly more bass they got my attention.

I'm thinking about having an upgrade and exploring LCD2c and XS at the moment (though LCD is twice more expensive, has membrane durability issues for such price and the pads are also subjectively hot) while XS reviews bothers me for the highs, didn't have a chance to test them yet. LCD2c has an uplift in higher mid region which has an effect (for me) that lower mids are somehow suppressed (while they are not) not sure if I like it yet...

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #1,889 of 2,788

Yes these things are amazing for classical music.

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #1,890 of 2,788
Anyone hearing like a sticking sound when you press on the grills? On my left side if I press on the grill even if its unplugged it sounds like plastic coming off something. Also when I shake my head a bit it sounds like something it loose, I can't hear it if the headphone is not on my head though. Everything is still working so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back