Hifiman Edition XS Launched
May 26, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #1,741 of 2,791
^ Indeed, the cups are plastic in my view also. The cups also do not conduct the heat away from your hand like the metal yokes do.

I think that the build quality is quite good for the price. Assembly issues are likely the biggest problem.

If the quality of the plastics are durable, then I have no issue with them.

Hopefully the plastics are not brittle or prone to UV-light damage over time.

Anyone with loose headbands should just return them if they can.

May 26, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #1,742 of 2,791
Hello friends!

I have received my second Edition XS unit due that the first unit seems that had a buzzing fail on right speaker when listen some freq.
My surprise is that with this second unit the problem persists altought is less present than the first unit.

Can someone check their edition XS with this web https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and tell me if listen some buzzing/vibration for each headphone speaker (left/right)?
I have tested the same with my Sennheiser HD650 and with IEM Shuoer S12 in ADI-2 DAC and the problem not exists.
I have tested Edition XS with other cables too and others DAC's (zenDAC v2 and Schiit Jotunheim) and problem persists...

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,743 of 2,791
Sound wise yes. I don't like the headband in the least. Unfortunately the place I purchased from didn't have a return policy (and buying through Amazon.ca would've been more expensive).
I think I might fire an email off to HFM and see what the official story about the headband is. If there has been a change, I'll see if they'll let me exchange mine
For what it's worth, I did email HFM about the headband. Their reply was there hasn't and won't be any changes to the headband. It's supposed to fit loose🤷‍♂️
I don't dispute anyone saying new models do have a tighter fit, just passing along what I was told

May 26, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,744 of 2,791
Hello friends!

I have received my second Edition XS unit due that the first unit seems that had a buzzing fail on right speaker when listen some freq.
My surprise is that with this second unit the problem persists altought is less present than the first unit.

Can some check their edition XS with this web https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and tell me if listen some buzzing/vibration for each headphone speaker (left/right)
I have tested the same with my Sennheiser HD650 and with IEM Shuoer S12 in ADI-2 DAC and the problem not exists.
I have tested Edition XS with other cables too and others DAC's (zenDAC v2 and Schiit Jotunheim) and problem persists...

Thanks!

My left speaker had a vibration in certain frequencies but have gone with the time. It felt like the driver was not holded properly inside the cup. But I was not sure if it was a defect so I kept listening music. Not sure if you are hearing the same neither not sure if the burn-in after 100h more or less did the magic. I have tested all the tones but cannot reproduce the vibration anymore.

What really annoys me from these headphones is sometimes the headband is creaking like hell. I would not care to pay 100€+ to get decent materials in the build.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,745 of 2,791
Hello friends!

Can some check their edition XS with this web https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and tell me if listen some buzzing/vibration for each headphone speaker (left/right)

Thanks!
There was songs I listen buzzing at the bottom/front side, but it happened with the monolith m1060 too, a thread of buzzing, I will try to pay attention at home, oh the burning is important, at the beginning it's a very dirty sound

May 26, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #1,746 of 2,791
My left speaker had a vibration in certain frequencies but have gone with the time. It felt like the driver was not holded properly inside the cup. But I was not sure if it was a defect so I kept listening music. Not sure if you are hearing the same neither not sure if the burn-in after 100h more or less did the magic. I have tested all the tones but cannot reproduce the vibration anymore.

What really annoys me from these headphones is sometimes the headband is creaking like hell. I would not care to pay 100€+ to get decent materials in the build.
Yes is like something is loose inside and vibrate with certain frequencies... in my case the problem is more agressive in right speaker (for first and this second unit)....

May 26, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #1,747 of 2,791
Hello friends!

Can someone check their edition XS with this web https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and tell me if listen some buzzing/vibration for each headphone speaker (left/right)?

Thanks!
I kinda had that problem for some time too, at first I thought that something had gone inside the driver and was touching it, then I tried to unbend the headband ( I had bent it a litle to get more clamp) and it got away.

May 26, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #1,751 of 2,791
hello everyone

i received my edition xs this afternoon , listened to them all day . im quite disappointed .

i bought them because my he400i broke and wanted to upgrade ; read lots of positive reviews on these XS .

but my first impression is that they sound too bassy and the sound is kind of muffled . and i find it WEIRD . because nobody seems to complain about that ?

the sound on my he400i was bright , clear and accurate and thats what i LOVED about them .

on the XS , the soundstage is a big improvement , as for details that are great , but that bass is really taking too much space . and i can’t find that clarity i had on my he400i .

is it just me , and my personal taste ? or is there a possibility that the XS i received are somehow faulty ?

in any case im probably gonna return them .
ill try to give them few days of burn in to see if things get better , but i dont think so .
really disappointed :frowning2:

May 26, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #1,752 of 2,791
hello everyone

i received my edition xs this afternoon , listened to them all day . im quite disappointed .

i bought them because my he400i broke and wanted to upgrade ; read lots of positive reviews on these XS .

but my first impression is that they sound too bassy and the sound is kind of muffled . and i find it WEIRD . because nobody seems to complain about that ?

the sound on my he400i was bright , clear and accurate and thats what i LOVED about them .

on the XS , the soundstage is a big improvement , as for details that are great , but that bass is really taking too much space . and i can’t find that clarity i had on my he400i .

is it just me , and my personal taste ? or is there a possibility that the XS i received are somehow faulty ?

ill try to give them few days of burn in to see if things get better , but i dont think so .
I have a pair of HE400se that are very bright, they also roll off sub bass. Maybe you're used to brighter sound signature? XS isn't exactly not bright though. Maybe the more intimate presentation of the HE400's adds to that though for you.

May 26, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #1,753 of 2,791
hello everyone

I have a 400i too. If anything, I'd say the 400i and XS sound far more similar than different. IMO, if you find that much of a difference then I'd think maybe that pair is defective.

May 26, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #1,754 of 2,791
I have a 400i too. If anything, I'd say the 400i and XS sound far more similar than different. IMO, if you find that much of a difference then I'd think maybe that pair is defective.
Well the 400 and XS bass are somewhat similar. But above that the XS is a good cut above the 400 and 400i. So yes - defective - strong chance.

May 26, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #1,755 of 2,791
hello everyone

These egg shape headphones sound little blobby. Give them some time. You may get used to it. I don't think it has too much bass. It's standard Hifiman sound with scoop and elevated 3-4k.
Edit: Make sure it seal well. Seal breach makes it bassy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back