Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 25, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #1,021 of 2,784
Yikes. Sorry about your he1000v2! Sure you don't want to grab an Arya stealth?
I found the HEXv2 good enough from the source I had that I was content and done with the search.

Slightly worried how the Ananda will stack up but I'll give it a whirl and trade again for the XS if I'm dissatisfied. Considering how poorly these headphones seem to last after consistent use I'm wary of shelling out more for an Arya at this point.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #1,022 of 2,784
I found the HEXv2 good enough from the source I had that I was content and done with the search.

Slightly worried how the Ananda will stack up but I'll give it a whirl and trade again for the XS if I'm dissatisfied. Considering how poorly these headphones seem to last after consistent use I'm wary of shelling out more for an Arya at this point.
How long did you have your HEXv2 for and what was the failure? My Sundara seems to be holding up pretty well, but maybe I just got lucky. I'm hoping my XS lasts atleast a couple years...

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #1,023 of 2,784
How long did you have your HEXv2 for and what was the failure? My Sundara seems to be holding up pretty well, but maybe I just got lucky. I'm hoping my XS lasts atleast a couple years...
Driver failure. I was the 3rd owner (although the first two didn't keep it for long), and I used it daily for 3-4-ish years, so it had some serious use, make no mistake. The paint on the magnets began flecking off in their last year and I suspect either the right magnet may have corroded too much or the diaphragm was damaged in some way from exposure to stuff bouncing around in the chamber.

I ran it single ended from a Bifrost+Apex Sangaku stack. It's a tough amp to find but I'm told the Sangaku tends to pair well with HE1000s as well. I found that the HEX clearly needed more power than it said on the tin and it benefitted noticeably from high gain in the speed department, though it wasn't getting anything near dangerous loads.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #1,025 of 2,784

Yeah, Focal build quality is much better but I'm not into their sound at all. I think you'll like ananda. It's a wonderful headphone.

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,027 of 2,784

Ananda is more transparent (or thinner if you like - very thin to me) than the HEX v2. Both have very similar bass, soundstage. HEX v2 is darker. Also even if you use nuggets, EQ, proper head position, a potent amp on the HEX compared to the Ananda it is lacking detail from sopranos up (thicker membrane). But the HEX is more palpable, more coherent, more enveloping. Part of Anandas detail is a more pronounced (too much actually) mid treble.

If given a choice (I was) I'd take the HEX over the Ananda. Both are good values, neither is SoTA now or when released. The 6se v1 and v2 are better IMO, and the XS might be. As always YMMV.

P.S. My HEX v2 - 2nd owner for 3 years, works NP.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #1,028 of 2,784
As @cycloverid pointed out, there are $100 amps that can do that.
I also learned last night that source may matter as much or more as amp power. I have danced between an iFi hip-dac portable and JDS Labs Atom+ stack with my Edition XS, and they do sound better with the additional power of the Atom stack.

But I also tried Qobuz last night as a daily user of Spotify 320 kbps streams, and wow -- what a difference. The refinement and increased clarity of the Qobuz stream over Spotify in A/B testing was far more dramatic to my ears than any amp change with my non-EQ'd Edition XS.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,029 of 2,784
I also learned last night that source may matter as much or more as amp power. I have danced between an iFi hip-dac portable and JDS Labs Atom+ stack with my Edition XS, and they do sound better with the additional power of the Atom stack.

But I also tried Qobuz last night as a daily user of Spotify 320 kbps streams, and wow -- what a difference. The refinement and increased clarity of the Qobuz stream over Spotify in A/B testing was far more dramatic to my ears than any amp change with my non-EQ'd Edition XS.

The iFi Hip DAC has been independently measured and shows audible levels of distortion from its built-in DAC. So that might be it as well.

With Spotify Premium, make certain you have volume normalization disabled. It adds compression to the audio that reduces quality.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #1,030 of 2,784
The iFi Hip DAC has been independently measured and shows audible levels of distortion from its built-in DAC. So that might be it as well.

With Spotify Premium, make certain you have volume normalization disabled. It adds compression to the audio that reduces quality.
Thanks. Yep, I've had that disabled since the get-go.

As for distortion, I'm aware of the hip-dac measurements. The Atom+ stack measures very clean, yet the difference in sound quality between Spotify 320 kbps no volume normalization and Qobuz hi-res is easily noticeable to me even with that rig.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #1,031 of 2,784
Ananda is more transparent (or thinner if you like - very thin to me) than the HEX v2. Both have very similar bass, soundstage. HEX v2 is darker. Also even if you use nuggets, EQ, proper head position, a potent amp on the HEX compared to the Ananda it is lacking detail from sopranos up (thicker membrane). But the HEX is more palpable, more coherent, more enveloping. Part of Anandas detail is a more pronounced (too much actually) mid treble.

If given a choice (I was) I'd take the HEX over the Ananda. Both are good values, neither is SoTA now or when released. The 6se v1 and v2 are better IMO, and the XS might be. As always YMMV.

P.S. My HEX v2 - 2nd owner for 3 years, works NP.
Your posts were the main thing that made me reluctant. Ultimately the Ananda is well-vetted. The XS is not. I could get it and discover there's a nosebleed inducing ring (Something the XX had which nobody mentioned in the early months) Until I see the cascade chart and a few more reviews from people I trust I figure I'll wait on it.

The HE6 would require some amp investments on my end. I actually liked the HEX more than you did although I could type many paragraphs about its flaws (which only stand out because of how close to ideal it came imo).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,032 of 2,784

I just switched to Qobuz as well and I was sold in 30 seconds. I've canceled spotify already. I went from a Hel 2 to Jotunheim and that jump was about as impressive as a higher quality source. Completely noticeable

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #1,033 of 2,784
Your posts were the main thing that made me reluctant. Ultimately the Ananda is well-vetted. The XS is not. I could get it and discover there's a nosebleed inducing ring (Something the XX had which nobody mentioned in the early months) Until I see the cascade chart and a few more reviews from people I trust I figure I'll wait on it.

The HE6 would require some amp investments on my end. I actually liked the HEX more than you did although I could type many paragraphs about its flaws (which only stand out because of how close to ideal it came imo).
As its been pointed out I haven't heard the XS but a picture is emerging. I recently hooked up with two speaker audiophiles that I hung out with in the 80's - and we drifted apart. They had similar tastes to mine back then, and both have gone into headphone in the past few years - one has an Ananda - but likes his LCD-4 much more (me too). They react to the Ananda the same as I do. I think its the background in live music and analogue - because the younger more digital oriented folks line up the other way. OTOH, they tried to pour holy water on me for using EQ - but admitted it helped.

I do like the HEX a lot, its one of my 4 keepers out of 15 the past 6 years. The lack of detail in the highs is a bigger issue than the lack of impact at the bottom - and vexingly I can't fix it with mods and EQ.

As always - your ears, and your timing should and will tell the tale.

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,034 of 2,784
K5 Pro was measured at 990mw at 32 ohm, DX3 Pro+ is 1500mw. So not sure where you're getting that.
1.5 watt at 32 ohms load and 1.65 watt at 16 ohm load from fiio website but maybe ASR measurements say other wise?

Edit: saw measurements in ASR ... Yes the fiios show only 990mW at high gain...

Thanks squaring in on the DX3 pro+ ...the retailer charges $285 on them here

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,035 of 2,784
Don't mean anything negative towards you guys but measurements kinda mean jackschitt. It's good to have more power for Planars for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back