Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 23, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #991 of 2,784
Scratching my skin off going absolutely neurotic over this decision. My HEXv2 died last year and I sent it in for trade-in for an Ananda originally (which has not shipped yet so I am in last-minute decision mode). Originally I assumed the XS was a nothingburger like the XX but this thread and others have ensured I will be discontent now whatever I end up getting.

There is still time to ask for the XS instead. Here's a new question - from a warmer amp (Apex Sangaku) which would be the better pairing?

Finally I've seen lots of comparisons between the Ananda and XS but I'd be interested to see more comparisons to the HEXv2 if anyone else has heard both.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #992 of 2,784
Scratching my skin off going absolutely neurotic over this decision. My HEXv2 died last year and I sent it in for trade-in for an Ananda originally (which has not shipped yet so I am in last-minute decision mode). Originally I assumed the XS was a nothingburger like the XX but this thread and others have ensured I will be discontent now whatever I end up getting.

There is still time to ask for the XS instead. Here's a new question - from a warmer amp (Apex Sangaku) which would be the better pairing?

Finally I've seen lots of comparisons between the Ananda and XS but I'd be interested to see more comparisons to the HEXv2 if anyone else has heard both.
Here is the blog I've been reading of a user who used to post in here who measured and compared the XS/Ananda/HE1000V2**edit (the only person to do so that I've found). Very helpful info in it and interesting to see the subtle measurement differences. In short, the HE1000V2** is very slightly brighter overall with more soundstage and slightly better technicalities.

https://unheardlab.wordpress.com/?ref=spelling

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #993 of 2,784
Here is the blog I've been reading of a user who used to post in here who measured and compared the XS/Ananda/HEXV2 (the only person to do so that I've found). Very helpful info in it and interesting to see the subtle measurement differences. In short, the HEXV2 is very slightly brighter overall with more soundstage and slightly better technicalities.

https://unheardlab.wordpress.com/?ref=spelling
He's comparing the He 1000 V2 not the HEXv2, they're different headphones

In regards to which to get with a warmer amp? Depends on what you want out of the headphone. Ananda is more clear, detailed and has a little more whimsical staging. XS is more bassy and the staging is a bit tighter, vocals sound better. The XS is a bit warmer already but it's not a huge difference.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #994 of 2,784
He's comparing the He 1000 V2 not the HEXv2, they're different headphones
Ah yes, my bad. So many versions and similar naming conventions to remember in Hifiman, I'll edit that. According to Crinacle's measurements of the XV2, it would be quite a bit tamer in the treble. But maybe someone else has tried both and can give you a more descriptive answer.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #995 of 2,784
Ah yes, my bad. So many versions and similar naming conventions to remember in Hifiman, I'll edit that. According to Crinacle's measurements of the XV2, it would be quite a bit tamer in the treble. But maybe someone else has tried both and can give you a more descriptive answer.
No worries it happens lol. From what I've read the HEx v2 is darker, you nailed it that the XS is more along the same family as the Ananda and Arya.

Jan 24, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #996 of 2,784
Why is no one talking about the Topping DX 3 Pro+ DAC+AMP for these ? Surely better than the K5 Pro ... is it because ASR measurements say they go into protection for low loads @ peak output ? Any experience?
IMG_5456.JPEG

Just got it in a day ago and will probably set it up tomorrow. If there's any issues, I'm sure I'll find out real soon. Otherwise, will post some impressions later this week.

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #998 of 2,784
Man, I don't know what to think but I picked up my XS today and fired up Meatloaf's Bat out of hell (Rip) and found the title track harsh and really muddied together. The staging was super close together and overall it didn't sound great. I listened to music for another hour or 2 and at some point I realized that the staging sounded really good, like Ananda level good. I went into some Celine Dion, Bon Jovi, Plini and it all sounded superb. Separation is good, and everything is clear without any harshness. I went back to bat out of hell and noticed it was much less harsh than before and sounded better overall.

I did EQ yesterday to be a bit more bright and to bring out details and that was to be expected but I swear these things just changed over the last hour or two. I could be completely talking out of my behind, maybe I got used to the EQd sound (brain burn in). Just thought it'd be interesting to bring up since we're on the topic of burn in
You've already mentioned sources here, but pads/pad wear and clamp are a factor too: there's a lot of wiggle room for these to adjust position on the head during use.

The swivel available also allows for adjustments.

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #999 of 2,784
You've already mentioned sources here, but pads/pad wear and clamp are a factor too: there's a lot of wiggle room for these to adjust position on the head during use.

The swivel available also allows for adjustments.
That might be an explanation, they seemed to be rather harsh and closed in to me in the beginning, too. The harshness is largely gone now (although there remains a very slight hint of sibilance in the extremes) and the soundstage may not be world beating, but is imo definitely among the better ones.

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,001 of 2,784

Yikes. Sorry about your he1000v2! Sure you don't want to grab an Arya stealth?

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #1,003 of 2,784
I'll grab one and let you know my thoughts. I'm thinking the Arya stealth are CONSIDERABLY better. But who knows!
He's actually talking about the HEXv2, not the HEKv2. Perhaps my confusion above helped confuse you as well!

I posted my comparison review of the Stealth Arya vs the EXS (page 56) and found very little if any differences other than build quality. The FR sounds basically identical (there may be some VERY slight differences). Could be I just don't have golden ears, but these are the most similar sounding headphones I've ever compared by far.

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #1,004 of 2,784
He's actually talking about the HEXv2, not the HEKv2. Perhaps my confusion above helped confuse you as well!

I posted my comparison review of the Stealth Arya vs the EXS (page 56) and found very little if any differences other than build quality. The FR sounds basically identical (there may be some VERY slight differences). Could be I just don't have golden ears, but these are the most similar sounding headphones I've ever compared by far.
Hahahaha. Yes, I misread that.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's most likey your ears/source.

The Arya Stealth is he1000v2 good with good power and source. IMO

I'm gonna grab a pair of the xs stealth for sure.

Jan 24, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,005 of 2,784
Hahahaha. Yes, I misread that.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's most likey your ears/source.

The Arya Stealth is he1000v2 good with good power and source. IMO

I'm gonna grab a pair of the xs stealth for sure.
The Stealth Arya is incredibly easy to drive, easier than the Sundara - so I just don't buy the scalability argument making the differences. Anything that applies to the Stealth Arya would likely also apply to the XS.

The FR between the Stealth Arya and the HE1000v2 seems to be more noticeably different - whereas the XS vs Stealth Arya looks very similar. You're getting into the ultra critical listening differences here... which may matter more to some than others. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back