Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 19, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #946 of 2,784
That's strange, I found them to have the exact treble signature as the Stealth Arya. They are on the bright side, brighter the the Sundara definitely. I expect to see the 3k, 4.8k, 8k peaks that are ~2-3db above Harman based on what I hear.

Thanks for the reply on the other comment. I am very skeptical on device burn-in, and all evidence currently seems to point to more of a brain adjustment for many people. We'll see.
Have you heard the Ananda? THAT is bright, lol. The Arya v1 and v2 are also much brighter compared to the Stealth version as I've been told. Seems to be the case of the SE headphones that the stage is tighter, less bright sound with a bit more bass.

I'm doing some EQing for the XS and it's sounding good. Added some bass and treble and it's coming out good!

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #947 of 2,784
Just got the dekoni nuggets, if the headset is loose for you then these are a must. I100% recommend these, like one of the posters on here. The headphone is a ton more secure.

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #948 of 2,784
Just got the dekoni nuggets, if the headset is loose for you then these are a must. I100% recommend these, like one of the posters on here. The headphone is a ton more secure.
What do they do and where'd you attach them? I love the fit, no head aches or pains but they can slide a bit. If the nuggets could hold it in place a bit better I might jump in myself

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #949 of 2,784
I am having an issue with my Edition XS's that I noticed today.

When listening to anything at a pretty high volume for quite a bit, my left driver will make this weird noise that is hard to describe but maybe like a distortion or clipping? Once I play no audio at all for like 10-20 mins and let the headphones "rest" it goes away until I play stuff pretty loud again. Pretty weird, I know HIFIMAN is known for QC issues and this is the first batch and that would be quite unfortunate if that's the case because I love these headphones.

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #950 of 2,784
I'm currently using this setup. Apart from the obvious changes in loudness it just adds a bit of warmth on the high gain (if properly equalised with the DAC). If we talking about DAC set at 0, then it's listenable at 12 hour on medium gain. With the max outed high gain on A30 you need to set DAC in about -28, or up to -22 for high dynamic range content.
If you asking about any dramatic changes in soundstage or detail - that is not the case.

Hey thanks for your input on the matter! I've always kept my D30 Pro on DAC mode ever since I got it and only adjusted volume with the A30. Would you recommend putting the D30 on Pre mode? I guess I'm just a little confused what exactly the differences are between the two methods of volume controlling?

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #951 of 2,784
Thanks for the reply on the other comment. I am very skeptical on device burn-in, and all evidence currently seems to point to more of a brain adjustment for many people. We'll see.
While there is no doubt that there is a gradual acclimatisation to a new sound (e.g. when someone moves from box to open baffle loudspeakers), my recent burn-in experience with the EDXS has been:

* Sounding dull and closed in, when compared with my HE5XX (almost anything does when compared with the HE5XX), to
* An hour later sounding aggressive and with treble more elevated than the HE5XX. This has since calmed down.

Quite an extreme change, via comparison. It is suggesting that structural burn-in is happening.

Obviously (with the above) I have yet to form a long-term opinion with these headphones. However they do sound better than the HE5XX during this equivalent point in time during the burn-in (the HE5XX sounded like a dog for about the first 50 hours and then really started to perform).

Andrew

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #952 of 2,784
I'm not sure what headphones you've used in the past, but this is the lightest clamp I've ever had on a headphone. Is it a problem? Not really, in fact I'm getting used to it and it doesn't seem like a huge concern. It's light enough that a brisk head movement up or down causes it to slide around on my head though.
Dt 990 pro
Mdr sa 5k
Hd 650

I will wear it after work and notify if any differences

Jan 20, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #953 of 2,784
While there is no doubt that there is a gradual acclimatisation to a new sound (e.g. when someone moves from box to open baffle loudspeakers), my recent burn-in experience with the EDXS has been:

* Sounding dull and closed in, when compared with my HE5XX (almost anything does when compared with the HE5XX), to
* An hour later sounding aggressive and with treble more elevated than the HE5XX. This has since calmed down.

Quite an extreme change, via comparison. It is suggesting that structural burn-in is happening.

Obviously (with the above) I have yet to form a long-term opinion with these headphones. However they do sound better than the HE5XX during this equivalent point in time during the burn-in (the HE5XX sounded like a dog for about the first 50 hours and then really started to perform).

Andrew
Yeah, I can't understand this. I've owned a lot of headphones and not one has exhibited this phenomenon that is so frequently described on this board. Only when I change an old pair of pads will I notice a slight change, and that's after thousands of hours usually.

What exactly do you guys think is changing in there? Why wouldn't it continue to change and even get much worse sounding over time if this was the case? How would the designers even account for this?

None of it makes sense. Logically I'd suspect some sort of psychological explanation.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #954 of 2,784
Hey thanks for your input on the matter! I've always kept my D30 Pro on DAC mode ever since I got it and only adjusted volume with the A30. Would you recommend putting the D30 on Pre mode? I guess I'm just a little confused what exactly the differences are between the two methods of volume controlling?
Hi. I guees it just a matter of taste. D30pro should sound identical while use DAC mode or set at 0 in PRE mode. The only real reason of using volume control on D30 is just precise indication, you can always go back and forth between the numbers more easily than with knob positions.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #955 of 2,784
What do they do and where'd you attach them? I love the fit, no head aches or pains but they can slide a bit. If the nuggets could hold it in place a bit better I might jump in myself
Yes they do help hold the headphones to your head alot. The headband is all the way at the bottom for me and with the nuggets I get a more secure fit. I put them where the left and right sign is. So just one on each side.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #956 of 2,784
Yes they do help hold the headphones to your head alot. The headband is all the way at the bottom for me and with the nuggets I get a more secure fit. I put them where the left and right sign is. So just one on each side.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HQGTR7D/
That headband cover is super nice. Only $15 and fits perfectly on the XS. I've used nuggets on other things before and the fit is a little wonky but that headband cover is nice and has pretty even pressure distribution and super squishy foam in it.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #957 of 2,784
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HQGTR7D/
That headband cover is super nice. Only $15 and fits perfectly on the XS. I've used nuggets on other things before and the fit is a little wonky but that headband cover is nice and has pretty even pressure distribution and super squishy foam in it.
Ok that might work good as well. I added it to my cart, I might purchase that later. This picture is from Blorg It really does add to it being really stable and secure.

Attachments

• DSC03483.JPG
    DSC03483.JPG
    456 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #958 of 2,784
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #959 of 2,784
This looks like a good add-on... however I see there are various sizes. Is large size needed for this XS headphone?

Thanks
the one i linked should only have one size, but there are similar ones on amazon that i haven't tried. it's a really tight fit (was actually kinda hard to get the zipper started) but it's super secure and doesn't move around at all.

Attachments

• geekriaheadband.jpg
    geekriaheadband.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #960 of 2,784

Users who are viewing this thread

Back