Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Nov 29, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #256 of 2,788
guys, has anyone listened to nirvana in xs? I wonder how well they handle this stuff?
The band? Nevermind?

I can, but I just got to work, so not until I get home.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #257 of 2,788
Just ordered a pair. I have ananda, gl2000 (which I don't care for) and Sundara (which I think hits way above its price point). If this take the cake, I'll clear the others out.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #258 of 2,788
Just ordered a pair. I have ananda, gl2000 (which I don't care for) and Sundara (which I think hits way above its price point). If this take the cake, I'll clear the others out.
Congrats! I adore them.

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #260 of 2,788
guys, has anyone listened to nirvana in xs? I wonder how well they handle this stuff?
you can hear every pick drag on the guitar and in every song hear the exact shape of the studio. as someone who was born, raised, and has always lived in the seattle area i have definitely heard my share of nirvana and these handle them extremely well.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #262 of 2,788
you can hear every pick drag on the guitar and in every song hear the exact shape of the studio. as someone who was born, raised, and has always lived in the seattle area i have definitely heard my share of nirvana and these handle them extremely well.
thank you very much! unfortunately sundara offers a little haze in this genre of music.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #264 of 2,788
I think I'm ready to say that the Edition XS is the best all around planar tuning wise and capability wise for every genre under $2000 that I've heard without EQ. I know that sounds a little nuts, but they just nail it for me personally. Not gonna just up and get rid of my HEKse or my HE6se v2 but they're definitely both going to get less use now that I have the Edition XS.

Ananda is a crappy headphone for the price. Like it all you want, it's not worth nearly the money it costs. Pricing it by ear, I'd put a $300 price tag on it. They're tuned like trash.
Sundara, same story. Boring tuning and bad imaging (I won't budge on the imaging inaccuracies, they're there.) Worth $200 at best IMO.
If you think Sundara has bad tuning and imaging, then your ears and mine are different.
I have ordered an EDXS, but reading your views has got me worried, will I like them?
If they are everything Sundara are not!
I have had DCA Aeon open, and Sennheiser HD650 and HD660S - to me Sundara beats them all with a good margin.
Hell, if I don't there is always eBay .

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #265 of 2,788
If you think Sundara has bad tuning and imaging, then your ears and mine are different.
I have ordered an EDXS, but reading your views has got me worried, will I like them?
I have had DCA Aeon open, and Sennheiser HD650 and HD660S - to me Sundara beats them all with a good margin.
I too think Sundara is VERY well tuned. It is neutral, so it might be boring to some. I'm curious to read your comparison of the XS and Sundara.
I decided to go the HE6sev2 way.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #266 of 2,788
I too think Sundara is VERY well tuned. It is neutral, so it might be boring to some. I'm curious to read your comparison of the XS and Sundara.
I decided to go the HE6sev2 way.
When it comes, I shall.
I like the egg shape, I have big ears, round headphones crush them, hence . . .

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #267 of 2,788
When it comes, I shall.
I like the egg shape, I have big ears, round headphones crush them, hence . . .

They're not very deep but yes the wide opening is nice and spacious. I'm a big fan of that shape.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #268 of 2,788
The sundara is ok at best at everything. I drew a bad picture in paint a while back to describe the imaging on sundara and Ananda. The sundara tuning isn't horrible but is has awful bass extension, poor dynamics and not necessarily bad timbre like the Ananda, but not good. They're both tinny and have bad resonance peaks. The XS is just an overall balance and timbre refinement with a heap of resolving capabilities slapped on top of it.

Attachments

• sundaraimaging.jpg
    sundaraimaging.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #269 of 2,788
The sundara is ok at best at everything. I drew a bad picture in paint a while back to describe the imaging on sundara and Ananda. The sundara tuning isn't horrible but is has awful bass extension, poor dynamics and not necessarily bad timbre like the Ananda, but not good. They're both tinny and have bad resonance peaks. The XS is just an overall balance and timbre refinement with a heap of resolving capabilities slapped on top of it.
what amp or dac did you use?
I wonder

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #270 of 2,788
what amp or dac did you use?
I wonder
My chain is PC>Douk U2 pro(if you don't have one of these you're missing out hard)>Gustard X16>Burson Soloist 3xp

The frontal imaging thing isn't uncommon among lots of different headphones. Basically every AKG, all of Sennheiser gaming headsets (gsp and PC**x/game one) and the most recommended Sennheisers like the 58x and 6xx, most audio Technica, sundara Ananda and 400se(which is fixable with pads) I could go on for days but it seems to be a tuning choice for music for more intimate vocals and most people wouldn't notice it if they don't game with them but when you can visually see where a sound is coming from it makes it really really obvious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back