Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Oct 13, 2021 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,777

kamikazeing

Head-Fier
https://www.hifiman.cn/products/detail/289

fefr.PNG

$429.99 (launch price) $499 International price.

Impedance: 18Ω.

Sensitivity: 92dB.

Weight: 405grams.

Cable termination: 3.5mm.

https://hifigo.com/products/hifiman-edition-xs

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 2,777
429 USD??? 4real??? If this guy does do some bass/slam I might be tempted ...

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 2,777
A bit of speculation on my part, but my spidey senses tell me it's based on the Edition XX from Drop rather than the OG Edition X, with Stealth magnets and the chunky headband.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw them, especially given the price. This $429 USD pricing for the XS makes for the cheapest ever launch price for an egg-shaped HiFiMAN. I'm pretty sure Edition XX held that title previously.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 2,777
I am excited to grab this one. But I am waiting for reviews, I don't want bright sounding set(couldn't cope with them for long).

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 2,777
I really hope these are good for that price. I love my HE-X V2, so I'm waiting to see how these measure up. Wouldn't mind something with a slightly different flavor while retaining the soundstage as much as possible. Could be a nice complimentary headphone for me.

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 2,777
Really interesting. Looking forward for some graphs and feedback.
Im curious to see how these perform compared to the Ananda. Sharing the same cups and being cheaper, it could kill the Ananda if the sound quality is similar.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 2,777
Well, the Ananda SE will definitely be a thing too.

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 2,777
If it sounds anything like the Edition X v2 it will crush everything in this price range by a mile

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 2,777
Some impressions taken from a Chinese website :

(Do note they're directly translated so the wording might appear a bit odd here and there)

I heard about HIFIMAN Edition XS before opening the box. The most impressive thing was that I switched to a brand new NEO ultra-nano diaphragm (only 1/4 thickness of the original edition X diaphragm) and invisible magnets. After the design, the high-frequency resolution of the new product has a huge improvement that can be heard with "one ear". Although the resolution of the old HIFIMAN Edition X is actually good, it is still not on the same level as the new one. However, since it was just out of the box at the time, the sound of HIFIMAN Edition XS still gave me the feeling of "dry", not very resistant to listening, and had to be "burned". In fact, I used to use headphones of this level for 200 hours before I officially started listening, but because I will be on a business trip next week and this HIFIMAN Edition XS is already in the audio-visual room continuously and uninterruptedly. I have been singing for more than five days, so my voice is stable now.

Let me talk about it first: the sensitivity of this new HIFIMAN Edition XS is 92dB, which is more "powerful" compared to the old model (103dB). Although the official still claims that it can be driven by mobile devices (such as mobile phones), I still recommend that you try to equip it with amps, or at least use a player with more thrust to get better results.

At present, in addition to the phonological Taurus amp, I also use AK's KANN CUBE and Haibei's RS6 player to match the HIFIMAN Edition XS. Among them, Shengyun and Haibei use a third-party balance line, and when connecting to the AK KANN CUBE, the standard single-ended line is used. When directly connecting the player, both devices are set to "medium gain". If it is "low gain", the thrust is still not enough: on the one hand, it is difficult to achieve satisfactory sound pressure, on the other hand, the sound will appear relatively loose;

I must once again praise the new HIFIMAN Edition XS for its great improvement in high-frequency analysis. Compared with the old HIFIMAN Edition X, the difference between the two is so obvious! If I use my familiar photography equipment to make an analogy, the difference in transparency between the two is like comparing ordinary UV mirrors with top-notch B+W lenses.

To be honest, this performance combined with the difference in pricing between the two (the old HIFIMAN Edition X was priced at over 10,000 yuan, and the new HIFIMAN Edition XS was only 2499 yuan), I even have a sense of "disorder"-this is also bad In 5 or 6 years, can technological advancement and the popularization of high-end materials really enable new products to lower their prices so much under the premise of "sound progress"? ! I have to doubt that the speculation that netizens jokingly called the "involution of the earphone industry" led to price wars among manufacturers is correct...

However, I think the high-frequency resolution of HIFIMAN Edition XS is amazingly improved, but it is still harder and sharper than I expected. At this moment, on the contrary, the sound of the old Edition X sounds more "soft"? Compared with the more advanced HE1000se, the treble of the HIFIMAN Edition XS lacks the gorgeous elegance and smoothness of the flagship product, but is somewhat "digital."

Of course, I also know that I should be able to use the HE1000se standard to request HIFIMAN Edition XS, after all, the price difference between the two is 10 times! I even secretly figured out that the feeling of HIFIMAN Edition XS deliberately emphasizes the high frequency of resolution, perhaps just to make some resolution compensation for the high frequency of sound sources such as mobile phones and small tails, so as to control the final effect at an appropriate level. ?

The same obvious improvement as the improvement of resolution, as well as the slackness of HIFIMAN Edition XS in the low and medium frequencies, this is also particularly emphasized in the official propaganda. In fact, I actually don't think the sound of the old Edition X is "inaudible" or "irritable". Yes, compared to higher-end equipment, its mid and low frequencies appear tighter, but in fact, I am very impressed by its flexible low frequencies. And now listening to the new HIFIMAN Edition XS, the mid-range is relatively flat, without special emphasis on highlighting or retreating; the low-frequency still has good elasticity, but it will not collapse so tight and hard, but more natural stretch-especially In restoring some of the low-frequency signals (such as bass plucking) that serve as an atmosphere in some music, I feel that its dive depth remains the same, and the sense of volume is slightly reduced. It should be said that the overall low frequency of HIFIMAN Edition XS has become "loose" and the connection with the mid frequency is also smoother. It can be described as a "seamless connection" and does not feel like a small gap between the mid and low frequencies like the old model.

This change of looseness will bring more "musicality" to the replayed sound, and the charm of the music will be enhanced, and it will indeed appear more pleasing to the ear. Frankly speaking, if the high frequency part of the HIFIMAN Edition XS can also have such a looseness and musicality, then my evaluation of its audio will immediately rise to a whole new level. However, this requirement is too harsh for the HIFIMAN Edition XS, which is currently priced at only 2499 yuan-after all, the high frequency of this headset has been greatly improved in terms of resolution, if it is required to have it at the same time The flagship level of hearing, how do you sell HE1000se and the like? (laugh)

Please note that my description of the HIFIMAN Edition XS sound is based on the premise that it has a very high quality. The various advantages of flat-diaphragm headphones that we have mentioned before, such as extremely fast transient response, very small distortion, and the open sound field brought by the fully open design, still exist. For this level of product, it is actually more difficult for us to simply evaluate the sound "good" or "bad", and the more difference lies in what we call "musicality" and "smell". Compared with the old Edition X, the music of the new HIFIMAN Edition XS is of course significantly improved. Although I have higher expectations for its high frequency (of course not in terms of resolution), the overall performance of the new product is significantly better than the old one. undeniable fact.

So in the end, we have to return to the price. Is HIFIMAN Edition XS worth buying?

In fact, even if the sound of this new HIFIMAN product is exactly the same as or lower than the old one, as long as we think of the huge difference in pricing between the two, we will only say that the new product is "very good value"! What's more, the sound of the new HIFIMAN Edition XS is actually better now, so what can we say besides the word "true fragrance" facing the price of 2,499 yuan?

TL;DR : better than the OG Edition X, but brighter.

I'll remain skeptical till more reviews and direct comparisons are out, but If true this would essentially kill the Ananda and even Arya.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 2,777
A few more comments also translated from Chinese (so take it on your own risk).

The sound is very good. It is also easy to drive. FiiO m11. High gain, single-ended original line can achieve normal listening loudness. Classical big organization, steel association, minor association, solo, jazz, popular try it down. It feels like edxs is a relatively omnivorous headset. The sense of scale is good, and the vertical sound field and layering are good. The low frequency response is very good, the volume, the dive and the level are all good. The phasing position is moderate, not close to the face, and not very far away. Probably the feeling of the front row of the concert hall. In general, the price of 2499 is very fragrant. In addition, this new head Liang is quite comfortable.
If I first listen to ananda, the high frequency will not be as thorny as ananda, and the sound is very loose and natural. And it’s really good to wear. It looks a little heavier than ananda on the surface, but it’s much more comfortable to wear.
unfortunately this thing will become soft and weak when driven by a slightly higher output impedance port, and there is no dynamic. However, the 0.1 ohm driver has a very high cost performance
It doesn't feel very heavy. There is a sundara. In contrast, it feels that the sound is much cleaner.

Edit:

The neo nano-diaphragm + invisible magnet has given edx back to life. I heard about edxv2 many years ago, and it was amazing, but the price of more than 8,000 is really unaffordable. This time the price of edxs is only 2,499, and it is more comprehensive than v2. Improved, the high-frequency air feels very good, the details are outstanding, and the sound field is natural and relaxed. The 24-period interest-free is about no money, and the existence of leapfrogging monsters
The sound of edition xs is indeed a very unique sound, and I have Senhai, Audio-Technica and Goethe's flagship big ears are obviously different in taste, which may be due to the new invisible magnet technology, the sound is more refined, the resolution is high, the sound field is very large, there is almost no head effect, and the air feel is very strong. This earphone is really amazing for listening to classical music. Strings are especially vicious, and piano is also good, but it is really not flattering to listen to the popular.
As the former flagship earphone EDX series, I was very satisfied with the first hearing, and it was completely pushed, and the price was excellent. I started in the 24th issue! The edxs first ear analysis is amazing, the instrumental vocal separation is very cool, the sound field is wide, and the wearing is much more comfortable than the previous head beam. It is a very balanced earphone
First of all, the workmanship has always adhered to the excellent workmanship of men. The new ergonomic head beam and well-controlled weight make the wearing feel more comfortable than that of Ananda. Will chuck. In addition, the new design of invisible magnets makes the overall image of this headset more clear, and is very accurate for restoring the sound of real musical instruments. This headset is not only very comfortable when listening to classical symphony, but also popular vocals. It also had this very good performance at the time. The overall quality is considered to be the best earphone among the flat earphones at the same price. Combined with the price of this earphone, it is simply too fragrant. This time the man really did not disappoint me. Sniper succeeded.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 2,777
A few more comments also translated from Chinese (so take it on your own risk).

The sound is very good. It is also easy to drive. FiiO m11. High gain, single-ended original line can achieve normal listening loudness. Classical big organization, steel association, minor association, solo, jazz, popular try it down. It feels like edxs is a relatively omnivorous headset. The sense of scale is good, and the vertical sound field and layering are good. The low frequency response is very good, the volume, the dive and the level are all good. The phasing position is moderate, not close to the face, and not very far away. Probably the feeling of the front row of the concert hall. In general, the price of 2499 is very fragrant. In addition, this new head Liang is quite comfortable.
If I first listen to ananda, the high frequency will not be as thorny as ananda, and the sound is very loose and natural. And it’s really good to wear. It looks a little heavier than ananda on the surface, but it’s much more comfortable to wear.
unfortunately this thing will become soft and weak when driven by a slightly higher output impedance port, and there is no dynamic. However, the 0.1 ohm driver has a very high cost performance
It doesn't feel very heavy. There is a sundara. In contrast, it feels that the sound is much cleaner.
Thanks for those little morsels, all data is useful at this point. :relieved:

They are little morsels, though, and I'm not sure if most of what is said in this would differentiate it from the Edition XX, as "high frequency not as thorny as ananda, and the sound is very loose and natural" sounds like Edition XX to me.

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 2,777

They are little morsels, though, and I'm not sure if most of what is said in this would differentiate it from the Edition XX, as "high frequency not as thorny as ananda, and the sound is very loose and natural" sounds like Edition XX to me.
Sure, we can't really rely on those early birds, its more about warming up the interest :)

But I really hope it wouldn't be as relaxed as XX.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 2,777

Sure, we can't really rely on those early birds, its more about warming up the interest :)

But I really hope it wouldn't be as relaxed as XX.
I mean the updated Sundara is relaxed compared to the Ananda, as is the Edition X v2, so it's not much of a description of anything other than pure tonality.

This could easily be Fang having brought magnet and driver production to a point where he's happy to rely on more automated assembly and testing to all-but deliver the X v2 at a fraction of the cost, which is exciting. It also makes sense, given that's been his entire business model.

At the very least, this seems set to blow up the Sundara.

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 2,777
It could require some price re-structuring for HFM - in fact it will. For bass fans the Sundara may retain its pull vs the new game in town. But if the XS is say similar to the HEX v2 with a treble about 1/2 way between the HEX v2 and Ananda? Gonna blow up the market under $800. Could even suck sales from the HE-6se v2. I would not want to compete with HFM if I was selling a line of planars. It started with the HEX v2, but with the 400i, HE-6se v2 and now the XS - it's a torrent.

One thing I know the XS cannot do - it will not have the slam of the OG HE-6. No long cup HFM has. Outside of that who knows? If however its more like the XX, then the acceptance factor will be a bit lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back