Hifiman Edition X
Feb 3, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #2,506 of 4,030
Many thanks everyone for your answers. You are all actually voicing my line of reasoning, so I guess I will go the more comfortable way of HEX.

Quote:

I had the HE-560 for a couple months and IMO the HEXV2 is way better in any area, no comparison.  The HE-560 is an analytical sounding, uncomfortable phone with tight but too light bass.  I didn't like it at all.

I actually like HE560, probably because they are the best I've ever had. I do not mind the analytical sound (except for the occasional sibilance in some recordings, notably SACD Queen - Under pressure, where even "t's" do sting like needles). I even find the sound less fatiquing than the closed Audeze sine. And, to be honest, I am not much of a basshead, and I like the bass of HE560 - tight, present, but not overpowering.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to get my hands on HEX, as many agree that they are significant upgrade over HE560.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2,508 of 4,030
  Are you sure? I was under impression that my Cayin can pump up to 8W into balanced output. Does it mean that HE6 can only be driven sufficiently by big amps via adapters?

In my experience, "numbers" and real world performance are often not the same thing. That being said I have not owned the Cayin and only heard it at a meet. Most hard core he6 owners will tell you that a speaker amp with adapters is the best way to drive that headphone. 

Also let me say this, I still believe that a used hd800 in good condition (around $750) will be the best value you can get for flagship headphones. Add Sonarworks reference 3 plugin and you'll have a setup that will compete with $3k+ headphones. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #2,509 of 4,030
You had me at "...attic eagle nest office." 
wink.gif

(And, yes, go with the HEX.)

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #2,510 of 4,030
You had me at "...attic eagle nest office." :wink:

(And, yes, go with the HEX.)

Yeah, the only place in the house where the little ones are forbidden to climb up to.. When the night is so late that it's actually turning early again, that's the time and place for a dram of single-malt and earfull of some good music :).

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,511 of 4,030
Yeah, the only place in the house where the little ones are forbidden to climb up to.. When the night is so late that it's actually turning early again, that's the time and place for a dram of single-malt and earfull of some good music :).

Now I know I'm not alone...

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,512 of 4,030
Also let me say this, I still believe that a used hd800 in good condition (around $750) will be the best value you can get for flagship headphones. Add Sonarworks reference 3 plugin and you'll have a setup that will compete with $3k+ headphones. 

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into the plugin you suggested, it poqued my interest. However I have mental block toward sennheisers. It's irrational I guess. my first "grown up" hp were hd555. Back then they cost me a significant part of my month worth of disposible income( I was at uni and had to support myself), and I hated the guts of them. I hated the pressure on the skull, the earcups material, and also the sound was 'meh' of best of times. Almost immediately the shell connection developed cracks.
Still have them in my office for backup, but I haven't put them on in ages, I rather listen to sines or noise cancelling akgs (hell yeah, open space). I regard dt880 higher in every aspect, and they were similarly priced here back then.

That experience + the almost mythical difficulty to balance the whole chain for HD800 is something I cannot make myself consider those as viable option. I know this is kind of superstition, but nonetheless it seems senns are dead for me :)... Maybe If I could try them I would change my opinion, alas I can't so I really do not consider them for a blind/deaf buy...

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #2,513 of 4,030
Now I know I'm not alone...

I guess many of us here have a sacred place away from screaming kids and dishwashing duty, where we retire to "finish the project I am due tomorrow", with the help of Jack Daniels and Louis Armstrong (yeah I know JD is not single malt - or whisky for that matter - but Talisker does not help the joke :) ). I love my daughters and wife, but as a sworn introvert I need a few hours alone every now and then, especially after busy week at work.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,514 of 4,030

I had the HE-560 for a couple months and IMO the HEXV2 is way better in any area, no comparison.  The HE-560 is an analytical sounding, uncomfortable phone with tight but too light bass.  I didn't like it at all.

I actually like HE560, probably because they are the best I've ever had. I do not mind the analytical sound (except for the occasional sibilance in some recordings, notably SACD Queen - Under pressure, where even "t's" do sting like needles). I even find the sound less fatiquing than the closed Audeze sine. And, to be honest, I am not much of a basshead, and I like the bass of HE560 - tight, present, but not overpowering.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to get my hands on HEX, as many agree that they are significant upgrade over HE560.

That sibilance is the main reason i did not like the he560. I returned a unit about a year ago as a result and people were shocked. I actually liked the he500 as a result.

None of that with the hex. I'm kinda warming up to mine.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #2,515 of 4,030
I listened to HE1K a few days ago, I don't know if it was v1 or v2, it was the best hp I heard until now, better than focal utopia but it had a slight sibilance which you would have to EQ out. 

HE1K v2 vs HEX v2? How close gets the X?

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #2,516 of 4,030
  I listened to HE1K a few days ago, I don't know if it was v1 or v2, it was the best hp I heard until now, better than focal utopia but it had a slight sibilance which you would have to EQ out. 

HE1K v2 vs HEX v2? How close gets the X?

Difficult to quantify such a subjective matter.
v2 I can't tell as I haven't auditioned the HEK v2, but with the v1s I would say you are a solid 80% there with the HEX.
The difference being a airier and more detailed sound with the HEK. A clear improvement although not night and day.
It would have been my next upgrade from my HEX if I was not forced to switch to closed back for other reasons.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #2,517 of 4,030
Haven't heard the V2's. But compared the V1's side by side. The X was much easier to sound right, the K could sound unimpressive if poorly driven. But when properly driven, it sounded more refined, and more effortless than the X. Fidelity wise, the K is a clear winner. But both are equally musical. I prefer the K.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,518 of 4,030
the hek has clarity that isn't there with the hex.  the hex is warmer sounding with more bass. i imagine the new mrspeakers aeon vs the flows are structured the same way as far as sound.  seems to be the same for all audio manufacturers (b&w, kef, etc.).

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #2,519 of 4,030
the hek has clarity that isn't there with the hex.  the hex is warmer sounding with more bass. i imagine the new mrspeakers aeon vs the flows are structured the same way as far as sound.  seems to be the same for all audio manufacturers (b&w, kef, etc.).

I keep hearing from people with different takes on which had more bass.
Just to clarify, the HEX has more sub-bass or just more mid-bass?

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,520 of 4,030
I keep hearing from people with different takes on which had more bass.
Just to clarify, the HEX has more sub-bass or just more mid-bass?

HEX has more mid-bass and impact.

HEK has some of the best sub-bass in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back