Hifiman Edition X
Jan 31, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,491 of 4,030
  I have been very happy with my HD800S.  I demoed the HEX but it wasn't my cup of tea.  

The Senns have been at the top of the heap for so long for a reason.  I have not heard the new Focal but for $4000 I am not buying it either.

I've been pretty much loyal to Sennheiser, with a couple detours, since around 2001 when I got the HD600, then the 650, then the 800, back to 650 and then the 800S for about a year.  I didn't think anything would top them for me but I'd have to say the Edition X V2 is my favorite right now.  Should note that I had the Edition X V1 for a while but didn't end up keeping them.  The V2 is a lot better in my opinion.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,492 of 4,030
Hifiman CSR said the new V2 pads will be available to sell at one point. They have to make sure HeX and HeK v2 get them first. Maybe those of us who still have V1 better wait. Paying $300 for V2 upgrade may not be worth it.

My feeling of V1 is like going to your favorite Chinese restaurant. You are going for great taste but wish there is just little better interior decoration and architectural refinement. HeX sounds so good but the build just lacks a little bid. I certainly doesn't scream $1800 or $1300 as matter of fact.

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #2,493 of 4,030
That's one of the great things about the V2, all the build quality issues have been resolved. It's really a nice looking, solid headphone that looks like its price.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #2,494 of 4,030
That's one of the great things about the V2, all the build quality issues have been resolved. It's really a nice looking, solid headphone that looks like its price.

^ Same goes for the HE1000 V2.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #2,495 of 4,030
Looking for 3 help from the Forum on 3 things

1) a Headphone stand tall enough for the Edition X (inexpensive is preferred), the one I bought and returned from Amazon was too short and the cables bottomed out, all seem to be the same height

2) an inexpensive mini-phono cable plug cable for the speakers or how to ask for one.  I believe I want 3.5mm on the source side and 2.5mm on the phone side correct?

3) A decent travel hardcase for the HEXs, because of shape, Im not finding anything that I think will fit.

Thanks again

Mark

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,496 of 4,030
https://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Omega-Headphones-Hanger-Holder/dp/B00F2L1NOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486052990&sr=8-1&keywords=omega+headphone+stand

This works for mine.  I can take pics of it in use if you'd like.  I am just at work right now...

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #2,498 of 4,030
Hello,

first of all, sorry for involving you into my dilemma, however I would welcome some guidance in selection of my new phones. Problem is, I have virtually no chance to have a critical listening on any of the phones, so I would love if you could help me with an opinion.

I am running two setups. Main setup is Hifiman-HE560 powered by Cayin IHA-6 (recent upgrade, and I like this particular amp very much), and bedside/mobile - Audeze Sine powered by either Gustard H10 or Mojo. Mojo is another recent acquisition, and I like the combo for portability and sound. Out of convenience, I listen to this more than the sonically better combo in my attic eagle nest office.

After considering many options, including elears (cannot convince myself they are worth the price), HD800 (affraid of the trebbles), new tesla beyers (I like dt880, but not love them), sec-hand stax (sure, and another amplifier for good measure), Audeze LCDs (heavy, heavy, heavy),  Mr.Speakers Ether Flows (import from US cost an arm and both legs) and HE1000 (I will never buy phones THAT expensive), I hover over two options:

First of them is HEX, obviously (I am writing to this thread after all:) ). I got the impression that they should make a noticeable difference even against HE560, and can be driven by Mojo very well, meaning they could become the jack of all trades for listening at home, and not being tied to one place.

Second option is HE6, which I should be able to still obtain new (and in the same price bracket as HEX). Cayin IHA6 should be able to drive them very well, and they are still being considered as TOTL, even compared with HE1000. On the minus side, these seem to be quite heavy and uncomfortable, and definitely not portable.

I am inclined to buy HEX, for the benefit of portability and being able to use them everywhere with Mojo, but HE6 is still haunting me as the the best of the best. I am very indecisive in this matter.

Could you help me to choose? What would you go after and why?

Many thanks in advance!

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,499 of 4,030
I've owned both he6 and hex v2 and for your situation I would certainly go for the hex v2. The he6 sounds great but it is heavy, uncomfortable and starting to look quite dated. Plus the amp you have really wont drive the he6 to it's potential. 

Hex will be a jack of all trades and will sound great from essentially any amp and is very comfortable. That's my 2c. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,500 of 4,030
I've owned both he6 and hex v2 and for your situation I would certainly go for the hex v2. The he6 sounds great but it is heavy, uncomfortable and starting to look quite dated. Plus the amp you have really wont drive the he6 to it's potential. 

Hex will be a jack of all trades and will sound great from essentially any amp and is very comfortable. That's my 2c. 

Somebody needs to go to the gym, bro! :wink:

I don't find the HE-6's that heavy or uncomfortable at all, but I agree with Matt about the HEX v2 and currently own both headphones. No reason to own a HE-6 unless you're going to mod it and feed it to a super powerful amp. And the HEX v2 is a fantastic all rounder that can be run off of almost anything.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,501 of 4,030
Somebody needs to go to the gym, bro! :wink:

I don't find the HE-6's that heavy or uncomfortable at all, but I agree with Matt about the HEX v2 and currently own both headphones. No reason to own a HE-6 unless you're going to mod it and feed it to a super powerful amp. And the HEX v2 is a fantastic all rounder that can be run off of almost anything.

He6 is just over 500 grams. This is just too much IMO. Plus OP already said Audeze were "heavy, heavy, heavy." Which is same weight class. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #2,502 of 4,030
He6 is just over 500 grams. This is just too much IMO. Plus OP already said Audeze were "heavy, heavy, heavy." Which is same weight class. 

Huh, never would have guessed they weighed that much. Way more comfortable to me than any of the LCD series (even with carbon fiber headband). Must be the combination of the Vegan Pads and my head shape.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #2,503 of 4,030
Huh, never would have guessed they weighed that much. Way more comfortable to me than any of the LCD series (even with carbon fiber headband). Must be the combination of the Vegan Pads and my head shape.

True. The hex at 400 grams I feel is plenty of weight for a modern headphone. The suspension strap does distribute the weight nicely and it "feels" very comfortable to wear. I got a hot spot with he6. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #2,504 of 4,030
True. The hex at 400 grams I feel is plenty of weight for a modern headphone. The suspension strap does distribute the weight nicely and it "feels" very comfortable to wear. I got a hot spot with he6. 

Yea, I could wear the HEX's all day. I think the Nighthawk's and Ether Flows only rival it in comfort.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #2,505 of 4,030
  Hello,

first of all, sorry for involving you into my dilemma, however I would welcome some guidance in selection of my new phones. Problem is, I have virtually no chance to have a critical listening on any of the phones, so I would love if you could help me with an opinion.

I am running two setups. Main setup is Hifiman-HE560 powered by Cayin IHA-6 (recent upgrade, and I like this particular amp very much), and bedside/mobile - Audeze Sine powered by either Gustard H10 or Mojo. Mojo is another recent acquisition, and I like the combo for portability and sound. Out of convenience, I listen to this more than the sonically better combo in my attic eagle nest office.

After considering many options, including elears (cannot convince myself they are worth the price), HD800 (affraid of the trebbles), new tesla beyers (I like dt880, but not love them), sec-hand stax (sure, and another amplifier for good measure), Audeze LCDs (heavy, heavy, heavy),  Mr.Speakers Ether Flows (import from US cost an arm and both legs) and HE1000 (I will never buy phones THAT expensive), I hover over two options:

First of them is HEX, obviously (I am writing to this thread after all:) ). I got the impression that they should make a noticeable difference even against HE560, and can be driven by Mojo very well, meaning they could become the jack of all trades for listening at home, and not being tied to one place.

Second option is HE6, which I should be able to still obtain new (and in the same price bracket as HEX). Cayin IHA6 should be able to drive them very well, and they are still being considered as TOTL, even compared with HE1000. On the minus side, these seem to be quite heavy and uncomfortable, and definitely not portable.

I am inclined to buy HEX, for the benefit of portability and being able to use them everywhere with Mojo, but HE6 is still haunting me as the the best of the best. I am very indecisive in this matter.

Could you help me to choose? What would you go after and why?

Many thanks in advance!

I had the HE-560 for a couple months and IMO the HEXV2 is way better in any area, no comparison.  The HE-560 is an analytical sounding, uncomfortable phone with tight but too light bass.  I didn't like it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back