Hifiman Edition X
Dec 23, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #872 of 4,030
  Thanks, do you happen to own the HE400S as well? I was thinking if it might be possible to mod the HE400S in such a way that it is 90% close to HEX. I have heard the 400S and find the sound signature very similar to HEX but the advantage that it costs just a fraction. I suspect the soundstage and imaging of the HEX/HEK would not be possible to replicate simply because of the sheer size of the driver and the huge cup enclosure.

The HEX is in a different class than the 400S in dynamic range, imaging, openness and top end.  You can force the bottom end on the 400 to beef up but I cant imagine any mods that would put them near the HEX.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #873 of 4,030
does the hex edition x have the same sound signature as he1000

which has more bass edition x or he1000

does the edition x also have this issue with highs and mids as the he1000

i am going to have to decide which is better to buy the edition x or he1000 and i listen most to edm, synth, metal, rock

or should i just keep my lcd2

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #874 of 4,030
  does the hex edition x have the same sound signature as he1000

which has more bass edition x or he1000

does the edition x also have this issue with highs and mids as the he1000

i am going to have to decide which is better to buy the edition x or he1000 and i listen most to edm, synth, metal, rock

or should i just keep my lcd2

We should wait for the upcoming TH900 MK2 instead.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #875 of 4,030

We should wait for the upcoming TH900 MK2 instead.

i am sure it will be priced very high as th900 when it first got released, so i do not want to pay more than 1200usd and i am sure the th900mk2 will be maybe around 2000 usd

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #876 of 4,030
  i am sure it will be priced very high as th900 when it first got released, so i do not want to pay more than 1200usd and i am sure the th900mk2 will be maybe around 2000 usd

It'll be 178,000 Yen which is roughly $1500. For a cheap price there's always TH-X00. I haven't heard TH-X00 yet but TH900 bass is the best I've ever heard. It is so strong, so powerful, so amazing. No other dynamic or planar can beat it. I returned TH900 due to some peaks in highs but I regretted that decision ever since. I'm glad now because I'll get MK2 instead.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #877 of 4,030

It'll be 178,000 Yen which is roughly $1500. For a cheap price there's always TH-X00. I haven't heard TH-X00 yet but TH900 bass is the best I've ever heard. It is so strong, so powerful, so amazing. No other dynamic or planar can beat it. I returned TH900 due to some peaks in highs but I regretted that decision ever since. I'm glad now because I'll get MK2 instead.

when will it be released

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #879 of 4,030
Dec 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #880 of 4,030
@B-60 just picked up his Edition X.  I'm glad that I got a chance to break them in and audition them for about 4 days.  In the end, I still prefer the HD800 with my equipment.  Similar to my situation with the HE-560, they would probably be sidelined in preference to the HD800. Just my choice and preference. YMMV.  
The are a great headphone but not great enough for me to spend $2K Canadian on.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #881 of 4,030

Thanks, do you happen to own the HE400S as well? I was thinking if it might be possible to mod the HE400S in such a way that it is 90% close to HEX. I have heard the 400S and find the sound signature very similar to HEX but the advantage that it costs just a fraction. I suspect the soundstage and imaging of the HEX/HEK would not be possible to replicate simply because of the sheer size of the driver and the huge cup enclosure.

It's been a while since I heard the HE400S, I really liked them for the price...but the HE-X are definitely the "real deal" IMO.

So ,looks like HEX do benefit from good front end and amplification, well no surprises there for me, right from the beginning before I spend the money I know that they will sound better with proper amp.Picking them up TODAY!!

That's great...They do sound better, but you'll need some good desktop amplification to get them to really open up.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #882 of 4,030
Listening to The Piano Guys on Tidal and I must say it felt like I was there on the Live Album.

The dynamics and soundstage in this song :point_down_tone2:is nothing short of remarkable through the X... Even direct to iPhone 6+

The X is like sitting down to watch a 3-D Movie on a 72" 4K Samsung. An immersive experience.

The HD 800 is like being Steven Spielberg sitting down to watch a 3-D Movie on a 72" 4K Samsung; he's a director so he can't help but to analyze and pick apart the entire movie. Sure it can be fun to do that when needed but sometimes you just want to Enjoy the details as a movie and not simply pieces strung together as a movie.

Articulate and musical, that's a great combination. Able to sound amazing without assistance and even better with, that's a plus. Paired with the Apogee Groove its more than enough, with the Audeze Deckard, its diminishing returns at certain point.

The X is a beautiful experience in and of itself.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #883 of 4,030
The two versions of the 560s I had had lots of issues, I would put quality of the HEX far above them.  I think there's a lack of design here. Reuse of the current hardware didnt work as well as they thought it might.

I surely hope that you are right and they improved on those ugly production issues that are plaguing hfman since the beginning. .
However, my heX vs. he560 comment only refered to the build in terms of production costs. Looks to me that he560 is using more expensive/premium materials, the heX is just a plane-jane build. Judging by the pics & reviews the heX seems to be the build equivalent of he400i .. i.e. same materials are used. And btw, my he400i is also very well built & pretty much spotless. In a side-by-side heX to he400i comparison, the only major diffs I can see are the oval cups .. and IMHO, the fact that such 'differences' are priced at ~ $1500 is a pretty disgraceful pricing stunt. And I am quite amazed about how good it works.

I agree these are great phones
Built quality is much better then the 560 the sound is much better
I do agree though bass can be a little loose but still love the cans

Simply repeating "much better" sounds like a useless prayer/mantra to me .. could you go into some details about what exactly 'much better' means?!

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #884 of 4,030
I surely hope that you are right and they improved on those ugly production issues that are plaguing hfman since the beginning. .
However, my heX vs. he560 comment only refered to the build in terms of production costs. Looks to me that he560 is using more expensive/premium materials, the heX is just a plane-jane build. Judging by the pics & reviews the heX seems to be the build equivalent of he400i .. i.e. same materials are used. And btw, my he400i is also very well built & pretty much spotless. In a side-by-side heX to he400i comparison, the only major diffs I can see are the oval cups .. and IMHO, the fact that such 'differences' are priced at ~ $1500 is a pretty disgraceful pricing stunt. And I am quite amazed about how good it works.
Simply repeating "much better" sounds like a useless prayer/mantra to me .. could you go into some details about what exactly 'much better' means?!

So you haven't been in the same room with the Edition X and you're making these comments? 
rolleyes.gif
 The HE-X is much better built than either the HE400i or HE-560...and sounds way, way better too. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #885 of 4,030

So you haven't been in the same room with the Edition X and you're making these comments? 
rolleyes.gif
 The HE-X is much better built than either the HE400i or HE-560...and sounds way, way better too. 

I wouldnt say its better built than my 560. Same headband system which is functional but not great looking and I prefer the wood on the 560. Considering a nice pair of 560s goes for 550-600 here on the forum can you easily say its 3x better in every aspect to warrant paying 3x what you would for a 560?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back