Hifiman Edition X
Dec 22, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #841 of 4,030
HEX Midrange tonality was more recessed with Higher impedance amp.
On low impedance portable,
Tonality was perfect, with mids a touch bright but not harsh.
Soundstage was almost ideal..
Not exaggerated like an HD800, yet plenty of space for instrument separation. .
Very impressive.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #842 of 4,030
Comparing with the PM2 (a real portable) it's detail retrieval was a bit less, and soundtage depth was 30%less than HEX, so while HE-X was at 90% soundstage of HD800,
The Oppo PM2 was at 60%, but in my testing I found it can be increased (moded) to about 75% before details diminish.

The peculiar aspect was that both the Ether and the PM2 scaled up using my tube amp, gaining detail and dynamics, while not the case for the HEX, unless it was connected to the LIO.
Connected to higher impedance tube amp it still retained it's soundstage, but was more smooth top end with more laid back midrange.

I believe This is why some say it is smooth sounding,
But on my portable it was very clear, not smooth sounding like my amp.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #843 of 4,030
Any amp recommendations for the HE-X?
I am considering the following amps (Mainly based on price and performance reviews): 

Cavalli Liquid Carbon
Eddie Current Black Widow (SS)
Chord Hugo

Wondering if anyone has tried any of the following combo?

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #844 of 4,030
I am going to state this now as a fact...
Before I boxed my set,
I tested on my portable.

It sounded better than my desktop setup.
In fact, I will go on a limb to say nothing, no headphone I have heard sounds as magnificent,
as the HE-X on a portable setup...

I
I placed them against my personally modded PM2,
And they are louder and more realistic sounding coming right out of my simple smartphone (Galaxy Note4)..

It is quite startling,
As they simply did not sound as lively out of my tube amp...
The HE-X is the king of portable phones...

I have to say I agree that the HE-X sound pretty darn good out of just a portable or phone and I have demoed them several times that way. Not the most technically proficient perhaps, but they are a very enjoyable can and you can get a lot of (most) that enjoyment out of relatively humble/inexpensive front end gear.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #845 of 4,030
I am going to state this now as a fact...
Before I boxed my set,
I tested on my portable.

It sounded better than my desktop setup.
In fact, I will go on a limb to say nothing, no headphone I have heard sounds as magnificent,
as the HE-X on a portable setup...

I
I placed them against my personally modded PM2,
And they are louder and more realistic sounding coming right out of my simple smartphone (Galaxy Note4)..

It is quite startling,
As they simply did not sound as lively out of my tube amp...
The HE-X is the king of portable phones...

I have to say I agree that the HE-X sound pretty darn good out of just a portable or phone and I have demoed them several times that way. Not the most technically proficient perhaps, but they are a very enjoyable can and you can get a lot of (most) that enjoyment out of relatively humble/inexpensive front end gear.

eww I have to say that's... well interesting, a headphone that sounds AMAZING with a WIDE range of low powered an other wise poor sources <.< I guess I can see why the price might be justified. It it can sound BETTER than my HE 4 on my NFB10ES2 simply running out of my LG V10, I'll sell my whole damned collection an get a pair :/ 

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #846 of 4,030
I forgot to say I still think the Ultrasone ED5 unlimited still sounded better to me...
For the portable king..
Edit:
But that over $2.5k

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #847 of 4,030
Comparing with the PM2 (a real portable) it's detail retrieval was a bit less, and soundtage depth was 30%less than HEX, so while HE-X was at 90% soundstage of HD800,
The Oppo PM2 was at 60%, but in my testing I found it can be increased (moded) to about 75% before details diminish.

The peculiar aspect was that both the Ether and the PM2 scaled up using my tube amp, gaining detail and dynamics, while not the case for the HEX, unless it was connected to the LIO.
Connected to higher impedance tube amp it still retained it's soundstage, but was more smooth top end with more laid back midrange.

I have the PM-2 and I like it... Your impressions sound like HEX is not that much of an improvement. What pads do you use with PM-2 standard pads or PM-1 original leather pads?

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #848 of 4,030
  Any amp recommendations for the HE-X?
I am considering the following amps (Mainly based on price and performance reviews): 

Cavalli Liquid Carbon
Eddie Current Black Widow (SS)
Chord Hugo

Wondering if anyone has tried any of the following combo?

I have a loner HEX coming tomorrow and will be running it balanced out of my Liquid Carbon.  I'll be reporting impressions in a few days.  Will also report how it sounds with Mojo. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #850 of 4,030
HEX Midrange tonality was more recessed with Higher impedance amp.
On low impedance portable,
Tonality was perfect, with mids a touch bright but not harsh.
Soundstage was almost ideal..
Not exaggerated like an HD800, yet plenty of space for instrument separation. .
Very impressive.

I think you nailed this to the head with "not exaggerated like an HD800", I do feel the same way.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #851 of 4,030

I have the PM-2 and I like it... Your impressions sound like HEX is not that much of an improvement. What pads do you use with PM-2 standard pads or PM-1 original leather pads?

Velour for most open sound but That's a future post to PM2 thread.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #853 of 4,030
I think you nailed this to the head with "not exaggerated like an HD800", I do feel the same way.

The closer you match the HD800 to an amp, the less "stretched out" the soundstage will sound, because the mids will fill in, presenting an even larger sonic impression.
That is why the HD800 has immense scaling potential,
And also many rather sell it than spend money on a long journey to "component match" the HD800.
The HEX would be an easy alternative if you have the right gear.

Still, I feel HiFiMan SHOULD have given a balanced cable as week for the price they asking.
:p
To me, with standard cable they should have priced it in same range as Ether.

Yet they are for different purpose.
For home setup I would have to compare the HE1K to the Ether as they are in same catagory, the catagory of "home setup".

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #854 of 4,030

What cable will you use for balanced? HEX does not come with one.

Rats, they should.  I am hoping that I can use the Oppo balanced to LC RSA connector that I have or rig a convertor cable.  I haven't bothered to look up what connector I need at the HEX end but I have lots of spare cable parts and should be able to rig something.  If I can't rig something I will post impressions based on an SE hook-up.   

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #855 of 4,030
Rats, they should.  I am hoping that I can use the Oppo balanced to LC RSA connector that I have or rig a convertor cable.  I haven't bothered to look up what connector I need at the HEX end but I have lots of spare cable parts and should be able to rig something.  If I can't rig something I will post impressions based on an SE hook-up.   
Oppo balanced will work, it did for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back