Hifiman Edition X
Dec 2, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #3,902 of 4,030
I’m going to sell my, less than 2 weeks old and probably one of the last new, Edition X V2’s on the planet. These are the second time I’ve owned this model and I still love them. The only problem is that I really want to try the new HEDDphone when it launches. So if anyone is interested, send me a PM, otherwise they’ll be listed on Head-Fi tonight.

Get them while you can!

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #3,904 of 4,030
Has anybody experienced break-in with the HEX? If so, what was the experience? I ask as I purchased my HEX V2 used and expected them to be broke-in, even though they “were hardly used.” It could just be me getting used to them, or they could be getting broke-in, but they seem more open, detailed, and with more separation. Initially I thought the HEX could “mud up” once in a while on Pop music, but it doesn’t do that anymore and is now more open, detailed, and with greater separation. Am I experiencing break-in?

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #3,905 of 4,030
Just received my HEXv2 (used, advertised "like new"), and I proceeded to check the drivers and found the following in the left driver:

9942004_l.jpg

(a) Some matter during manufacturing appears to have landed on the magnet and then got painted over. The hanging piece curves inwards towards the driver and it stops pretty close to the opposite edge of the magnet that faces the driver. I think I can chip it off, as I've successfully removed hair from these types of drivers before to fix an onset of buzzing in a different HFM teardrop-style can.

(b) I see paint chipped off the magnet here and elsewhere.

(c) It looks like the adhesive (at least that's what I think it is) ran a bit onto the driver before drying.

@TeamHiFiMAN or anyone else, will any of these be an issue? I believe (a) could be if that piece falls onto the driver. Since it is an ebay purchase from an HF'r here, I have 30d to decide to return. Also, as I understand, Hifiman does not respect transfers of warranty.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #3,906 of 4,030
Just received my HEXv2 (used, advertised "like new"), and I proceeded to check the drivers and found the following in the left driver:

9942004_l.jpg

(a) Some matter during manufacturing appears to have landed on the magnet and then got painted over. The hanging piece curves inwards towards the driver and it stops pretty close to the opposite edge of the magnet that faces the driver. I think I can chip it off, as I've successfully removed hair from these types of drivers before to fix an onset of buzzing in a different HFM teardrop-style can.

(b) I see paint chipped off the magnet here and elsewhere.

(c) It looks like the adhesive (at least that's what I think it is) ran a bit onto the driver before drying.

@TeamHiFiMAN or anyone else, will any of these be an issue? I believe (a) could be if that piece falls onto the driver. Since it is an ebay purchase from an HF'r here, I have 30d to decide to return. Also, as I understand, Hifiman does not respect transfers of warranty.
Hi there,

This should not be a problem for sound. We can provide the warranty service if you have the original receipt from the previous owner. Please kindly note that the headphones will be under warranty for one year since the original purchase day if it was purchased from our authorized dealer.

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 3, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #3,907 of 4,030
Hey guys, I need opinions. I may have an opportunity to buy a new pair of HEX V1s for around 500€. Is this something I should jump at?

I know that if I wait for a bit, I could find a used Ananda (or LCD-2C) for about the same price. I guess the real question is, how does HEX V1 compare to Ananda? If I get the angled ultrapads for the V1, does it effectively turn them into a V2 sound-wise?

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #3,908 of 4,030
You could also try the Verum 1. I did right after the HEX and to my ears, it was everything I expected the HEX to be but wasn't.

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #3,909 of 4,030
I've heard of too many issues with Verum 1s to even consider them. Too much of a risk, plus the weight is a problem. 2C are just barely comfortable enough to handle the weight, I can't buy headphones that weight that much blindly without properly testing them first.

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #3,911 of 4,030
Ended up buying a HEXv2 after all - 660€ for a demo with few hours of use on it, no 3.5mm cable, but 1 year of warranty. Feels like a good deal for now. Can't wait to see if there's a difference in sound between Gustard's H20 and NX4DSD.

I might actually just sell the H20 - it's an insanely good and powerful amp, but it's not like I really need that kind of power for the HEX.

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #3,912 of 4,030
I got my HEXv2 today - a demo unit in brand new condition. The sound is to die for, only Arya tops it for me. Way nicer than Ananda to me. The problem is the right channel going silent after an hour or so. Seems like a contact issue with the connector. Reseating the cable a few times brings back 15-95% of the volume, so even at best there is a channel imbalance. Most of the time the right channel is either totally silent or at around 75%. Every time I take them off my head, the right channel goes silent. If I press the black housing of the cup, some of the volume comes back. For a glorious 20 minutes, doing that brought the right channel completely back - however even if it returned for good, this problem has to be fixed. There is obviously something wrong, and it'll fail completely eventually.

It's a bit weird. And super disappointing. I was just telling people how the build quality on the HEXv2 is fantastic.

It's a massive blow to me. I've waited for this for such a long time, and now that I finally have the dream set, it's instantly dead. God damn soul crushing. Sure hope that manufacturer warranty they advertised holds up. Any advise @TeamHiFiMAN ? I shot an email at a Hifiman customer service email I found and gave the seller a heads up as well. I just hope I don't end up not having headphones for a long time again, like what happened when my Sundara broke and the local dealer spent nearly two months having them fixed. I doubt the store that sold these has another HEXv2 on hand, which is scary. I'm going to be massively bummed if I lose one of my dream 'phones. I hate this.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #3,913 of 4,030
I got my HEXv2 today - a demo unit in brand new condition. The sound is to die for, only Arya tops it for me. Way nicer than Ananda to me. The problem is the right channel going silent after an hour or so. Seems like a contact issue with the connector. Reseating the cable a few times brings back 15-95% of the volume, so even at best there is a channel imbalance. Most of the time the right channel is either totally silent or at around 75%. Every time I take them off my head, the right channel goes silent. If I press the black housing of the cup, some of the volume comes back. For a glorious 20 minutes, doing that brought the right channel completely back - however even if it returned for good, this problem has to be fixed. There is obviously something wrong, and it'll fail completely eventually.

It's a bit weird. And super disappointing. I was just telling people how the build quality on the HEXv2 is fantastic.

It's a massive blow to me. I've waited for this for such a long time, and now that I finally have the dream set, it's instantly dead. God damn soul crushing. Sure hope that manufacturer warranty they advertised holds up. Any advise @TeamHiFiMAN ? I shot an email at a Hifiman customer service email I found and gave the seller a heads up as well. I just hope I don't end up not having headphones for a long time again, like what happened when my Sundara broke and the local dealer spent nearly two months having them fixed. I doubt the store that sold these has another HEXv2 on hand, which is scary. I'm going to be massively bummed if I lose one of my dream 'phones. I hate this.
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that. We have received your email and replied you there. We will try our best to help.

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #3,914 of 4,030
I got my HEXv2 today - a demo unit in brand new condition. The sound is to die for, only Arya tops it for me. Way nicer than Ananda to me. The problem is ...
I hope things work out between you and the dealer (and/or Hifiman). I agree that the sound coming out of the HEXv2 is just so pleasant. I currently have a Drop x Focal Elex loaner for the past week or so for review and every time I try to evaluate a track with them and then switch to the HEXv2, the HEXv2 stays on, lol.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,915 of 4,030
I hope things work out between you and the dealer (and/or Hifiman). I agree that the sound coming out of the HEXv2 is just so pleasant. I currently have a Drop x Focal Elex loaner for the past week or so and every time I try to evaluate a track with them and then switch to the HEXv2, the HEXv2 stays on, lol.
HEXV2 is very easy and pleasant listen. It's almost like a planar version of Sennhiser HD650 with it's own difference being a planar with large cups (so imaging differences). Both are forgiving headphones. So, they can keep you listening for a long time, particularly the HEXV2.

Basically what I'm say is that they arn't analytical sounding.

Elex can be a bit too dynamic. I found it's dynamic upper-mids to be too sharp for a relax listening session. I prefer the Clear as it's not like that. I find Clear more even overall with Elex having more of a sharp upper-mids emphasis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back